McLaren Life banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
The perfection in engineering. Their huge leaps in climbing the ladder of engineering that escalate their cars to absolutely unexpected limits.
Ex. F1 is way ahead of its time in every area.
Ex. MP4-12C is insanely perfect for their first road car
The leap in engineering is insane.
Ex. P1's styling is the most gorgeous hypercar by far.

The courage & risks they take to produce their cars. Then they act like they is no risk because of their confidence in their products.

Their over confidence is really intimidating but by far justified.

I worry about McLaren's risk taking but then it all turns out better than expected/ as expected.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I first learnt about McLaren when I used to watch Formula One back in the days (1998)...then I started following the news & updates on their technology used for their formula one & their street cars. I was stunned with how fast they were moving with this. Since then I have been always been excited to learn more about McLaren's amazing Cars!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had an Exige - S in the past which is no longer an option in the US. I wanted something "next level" but similar in personality and characteristics.

I was very close on getting a Huracan but I didn't like the driving position and honestly it wasn't any faster (for me) than the 570s.

The 570s reminds me of my Exige-S on steroids. It's tiny, nimble, quick, and refined. I bought the Exige-S new when they came to the NA market.

I didn't think they build quality was bad on the Lotus tbh but the McLaren is definitely several steps up.

·
Registered
986 Posts
As a big Ferrari enthusiast I was really looking forward to the 488. But when I realized that it is just "a tuned 458" I was extremely disappointed because I was looking for something really new. So I have dealt increasingly with the 650S. During the first test drive the decision has fallen very quickly, the 650S will be my next super car. The excellent work of my dealer in Zurich convinced me then completely.

After 3'000km within a short time with my "stealth bomber" I can say it will be difficult to find a better car. Well done McLaren.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been an F1 fan since I knew about cars. Some friends and I used to go to Montreal for the F1 race in the 90's. In '92 we managed to get rooms at the Hilton in downtown Montreal. Friday morning we had breakfast next to Berger and Ron Dennis. Friday after the track I left my room and walked to the elevator. The door next to me opened and someone was walking down the hall behind me. I got to the elevator, pushed the button and turned around into Senna! I was in awe. In the late 90's a friend and his wife were guests of McLaren at Montreal (her company was a supplier/sponsor) and they came back with two suitcases full of team swag. He gave me a bunch. Been a fan ever since. Want to get a 570, but have to gets some things in order first. (The kids don't NEED college; they just WANT college)

·
Registered
198 Posts
It was my local Ferrari dealer. He put me so off with trade values I walked out and went to my local McLaren of Boston dealer. No regrets at all. Love my 570S.

·
Owner
1,138 Posts
Anyone
Considering
Anything
Should go drive a 720. OMG, I got to take one for a spin a few weeks back and it is hands down brilliant. If your ass is connected to your brain as mine is (on too many levels I'm afraid but thats another discussion all together) you will love the way that car works.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Being from the UK have known about McLaren forever, but didn't really know too much about their new road cars until last year when I was shopping for cars with my friend. We test drove R8's, Hurucan's and McLaren's. He bought a coupe 570S from the showroom, but I only like spiders, so I ordered a 570S Spider sight unseen since they weren't out yet (test drove the 650S Spider first, so had somewhat of an idea).

I just felt that the racing heritage, full carbon tub, and feel (which was very much like my Lotus) was pretty awesome.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The holy Trinity show from Grand Tour. Ended up seeing a show on Amazon Prime about F1 preparation which was focused on McLaren - the ill fated season with the Honda engine experiment! Fell in love with the 12C in Top Gear, notwithstanding the comment about lack of fun. Was looking at hard top convertibles and this seemed to fit the bill!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
12C on Top Gear when the Stig ran the course and blew away just about every car production car on the planet. I knew then they had one hell of a car. I now am on my second McLaren, (720s) and to know it will slaughter the 12C just makes me feel I'm driving one hell of a car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I fell in love with McLaren when I was a kid and saw the F1 in an early video game (I think Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or something) I never knew of the brand before then and never saw one so I was bewildered by it. It was the quickest, fastest and most tastefully designed car of all the cars in the game and the more I researched about it, the more I learned about its amazing design and lack of compromise in every aspect. I quickly became a McLaren fan, before then it was always Porsche as one of my neighbors owned one (993 Turbo) and it was the most exotic thing I've ever been in apart from a 360 Modena. Anyways my love and lust after the F1 turned me into a McLaren fan and then a McLaren F1 team fan even though I never watched F1 before then.

·
Owner
1,126 Posts
I have been a Macca fan since I was a kid watching Bruce and Denny completely dominate Can-Am in their orange cars. I loved Bruce's story. I followed their F1 exploits and dominance through the 80's w/Prost and Senna. When they decided to make the F1 road car, my interest was peaked, but there weren't going to be any US cars. I did have an opportunity to buy an F1 for $600K, but passed (that was a bad choice).

When the 12C was released, I knew it would be brilliant, but the time wasn't right. Well, the time became right. The 570S track pack came home...in McLaren Orange of course. Brilliant car and worth the wait, and the buying experience at Mac Houston was great (thanks Mike Grant). After 30 years of being treated like crap at Ferrari, its nice to feel appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been a Macca fan since I was a kid watching Bruce and Denny completely dominate Can-Am in their orange cars. I loved Bruce's story. I followed their F1 exploits and dominance through the 80's w/Prost and Senna. When they decided to make the F1 road car, my interest was peaked, but there weren't going to be any US cars. I did have an opportunity to buy an F1 for $600K, but passed (that was a bad choice).

When the 12C was released, I knew it would be brilliant, but the time wasn't right. Well, the time became right. The 570S track pack came home...in McLaren Orange of course. Brilliant car and worth the wait, and the buying experience at Mac Houston was great (thanks Mike Grant). After 30 years of being treated like crap at Ferrari, its nice to feel appreciated!
you and i seem to have a few things in common.....
are you also on fchat?

101 - 120 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.