McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I was completing a formula racing course at Bondurant in Arizona and wandered over to the Penske Racing Museum. On the TV monitors they were playing the full length film CAN-AM: A Speed Odyssey. I stood there and watched the entire movie twice, back to back, and that was it for me.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Well, I'd had it with 911's (brilliant cars for what they are) simply because I wanted a change.

Started to look at options.

Wanted a car for driving not cruising. Met a F1 owner, a complete petrol head, who had done 20,000 miles and just talked about how it was to drive. Got my attention.

Trusted that Mclaren would deliver.........

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ever since I was a kid I've been entrenched and enticed by beautiful cars and women for that matter. The neighborhood that I lived in as a kid growing up had a multitude of rare and exclusive type cars. So yes I've been influenced by the lifestyles at home and abroad which has had a positive impact on me and my love of cars. Cheers....🍻🍻

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My dad took me to the 1983 Grand Prix of Detroit when I was a 9 year old kid. I remember a photo of the MP4/1' naked carbon chassis in the race program. It looked light years ahead of everything else. At that age, I wasn't sure what I was looking at but I knew I liked it. Also loved the clean lines of the MP4/1. It was all about the 'looks' of the car. That was it, I was a McLaren fan for life.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Seeing the F1 at the park lane showroom many years ago. Had of course seen pictures in various magazines previously but nothing quite like seeing the car in person as I don't think one really gets a sense of just how well the car is engineered/packaged without seeing it up close.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Never heard of McLaren until the F1 was proposed and was all over the mags......was LOVE at first sight and have been hooked since......more of a Porsche guy growing up. Still luv porsches but McLaren.......Nuff said ;0)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Done the Porsche thing and wanted a change, wanted a precision machine to drive and something different from the norm...
Quite enjoyed buying British too:eek:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Stayed up with my old man in 1995 watching/listening to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, seeing that black/graphite #59 covered in filth from twice around the clock racing with the door up coming over the line, yeah that pretty much sealed it for me!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bit of a story to this but its what happened,
I got a magazine for my birthday when I was in grade 1 it had the mclaren f1 on the cover and a nice write up about it( still had the mirrors high up on the doors). Loved that magazine, i read it a million times until the pages got ripped,That was the start, Part two came in the form a trip to the motorshow, which dad and i do every year its in melbourne, there was only one car i wanted to see, i knew it was going to be there as id seen it in the newspaper, there it was in the bmw stand, a real live mclaren f1. i remember standing there for hours, trying to soak it up from every angle, the harder i looked the more details i found to explore. i stood there until security asked us to leave as the show was closing. i asked the lady at the stand if she had any literature i could have to post on my bedroom wall, to which she replied "sorry we dont have any left for today" devastated i had one last look and stretched my neck till we rounded the corner and it was out of sight. i wouldnt see another car i liked so much until we got Grand Prix tickets in 97, I flicked through the program and saw the Mclaren in the papaya orange prototype colours with Dc and mika, as the drivers. At The track I stood glued to the fence waiting for the orange cars to come around, I felt bad for liking these awesome looking black, white, silver and neon red cars flying past, saying "they sound the best" to my dad and grandfather. It wasn't until a lull in the practice session that I looked up to the screen to see where the Mclarens were, and I realised the cars I secretly was drooling over we're in fact the Mclarens I came to see!
Meant to be. Lol:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've been a McLaren fan ever since, during one vacation in Hong Kong, my Dad bought me an issue of Road & Track Magazine that had a cover shot and feature test of 3 of the great supercars of the 20th Century - the Ferrari F40, the Porsche 959, and most significantly, a McLaren F1. Though I can't recall its' chassis # right now, it was painted in what is now called Volcano Orange - and I'd never seen anything quite like it. I was only 14, the age when most boys are still going oooh and aaah over NOS and Lambo doors and 800Bhp Skyline GT-Rs, so it warped my mind a bit when I first read the F1's performance and technical specs, and words like 'immediate throttle response' and 'synapse-quick handling reactions'. The central driving position seemed so out-of-this-world yet just right at the same time.

That was how my love for McLaren cars was kindled, and it only grew through further experiences. I later discovered a car encyclopedia in my school library that listed all the F1 variants in it, and that was how I discovered the F1 GTR, F1 LM, and the Longtails, and what made each one so special and unique even in the rarefied world of supercars.

It's been a whirlwind ride ever since. Getting my copy of Driving Ambition, and discovering all the stories behind the F1's gestation and #01R's win at the 1995 24 Hours of Le Mans. Studying and researching them all over the Internet, happily drinking in details like the changes made to F1s like #014 and #018 and #040 and #073, what the various LMs and road-converted GTRs went through and the lives they led and still lead, the record-breaking sale of #065. Starting to collect F1 models and memorabilia..

And that has brought me here today, to the 12C and P1.

It is, as they say, a very exciting and thrilling time to be a McLaren fanatic and enthusiast.

;)

ADW

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I drove a 12C with the new upgrades! ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Being older than most of you, while in college I went to the USRRC (pre CanAm) race at Mid Ohio in Aug. 1968 and saw Mark Donohue win in a McLaren M6A Chevrolet. Then I moved to California and saw Denny Hulme win the CanAm race at Laguna Seca in the M8D in 1970.

Fast forward to 2010. Once I started reading about the forthcoming MP4, I got fascinated by the concept of bringing F1 tech to a road car. The more I read, the more I wanted one. I kept bugging the newly minted dealer about taking a deposit from me. When I finally got a chance for a road test, I knew I had to have one. 1 year and 7500 miles later, I couldn't be happier. :D

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Being older than most of you, while in college I went to the USRRC (pre CanAm) race at Mid Ohio in Aug. 1968 and saw Mark Donohue win in a McLaren M6A Chevrolet. Then I moved to California and saw Denny Hulme win the CanAm race at Laguna Seca in the M8D in 1970.

Fast forward to 2010. Once I started reading about the forthcoming MP4, I got fascinated by the concept of bringing F1 tech to a road car. The more I read, the more I wanted one. I kept bugging the newly minted dealer about taking a deposit from me. When I finally got a chance for a road test, I knew I had to have one. 1 year and 7500 miles later, I couldn't be happier. :D
Hey Dennis, age is a state of mind so the fact that your driving a Mac and enjoying it, that's a clear sign of a youngster at heart and in mind. Truly happy to hear that your enjoying your beautiful car, two thumbs up👍👍. Cheers.....🍻🍻

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hunt, Lauda, Prost, SENNA Mika and of course Lewis. But seriously, the F1 has always been my dream car, and this to me is as close as it gets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been a ridicoulus fanatic since i drove the F1 in the game Need for Speed II.
Sadly, i'm not as fluent in McLaren-knowledge as some people on this forum.

yet

1 - 20 of 140 Posts