McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to wash my car and I noticed that the louvered vents that run along the rear hatch glass have no screens and no baffles to prevent water or other debris from just falling into the hatch. How can you wash your car (with a hose) if water is going to flood the engine bay and worse, soak the surrounding carpeting that is lining some areas of the engine bay ?? (For those that drive in the snow: Doesn't the slush and road salt ruin your engine bay's carpeting?)
This is a really stupid design, in my opinion.:(
What would posses them to not incorporate some sort of baffle tray to deflect and channel the water and debris away from the inside of this area and somehow, down to the ground.
Must be the same bunglers who configured their electronics. And, we all know how well that's going.:eek:
Wow is all I can say.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you mean the firewall I don't see an issue, I'm sure it'll be rot proof and fireproof.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It sure looks like carpet; But, whatever it is ..... it's going to get messed up !!
I like to keep my engine detailed ...... so, washing this car adds more work for no reason !!
I'm under the impression that this material serves two purposes, sound deadening and of course heat and fire prevention. Cheers....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I was going to wash my car and I noticed that the louvered vents that run along the rear hatch glass have no screens and no baffles to prevent water or other debris from just falling into the hatch. How can you wash your car (with a hose) if water is going to flood the engine bay and worse, soak the surrounding carpeting that is lining some areas of the engine bay ?? (For those that drive in the snow: Doesn't the slush and road salt ruin your engine bay's carpeting?)
This is a really stupid design, in my opinion.:(
What would posses them to not incorporate some sort of baffle tray to deflect and channel the water and debris away from the inside of this area and somehow, down to the ground.
Must be the same bunglers who configured their electronics. And, we all know how well that's going.:eek:
Wow is all I can say.:rolleyes:
Are you sure about what you've written, I've seen the back end of the car when they were installing the new exhaust system on my car. I can't see there being any problem with the design, you've got a lot of shielding in that area due to the exhaust system. Now I can't recall if these shields had any sort of drainage system set in place to direct the water out the back. In my mind they must have thought about implementing such a system, you've got my curiosity now I need to find out. What would be great is if we could all do research a little research before yelling fire. Cheers.....??

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure about what you've written, I've seen the back end of the car when they were installing the new exhaust system on my car. I can't see there being any problem with the design, you've got a lot of shielding in that area due to the exhaust system. Now I can't recall if these shields had any sort of drainage system set in place to direct the water out the back. In my mind they must have thought about implementing such a system, you've got my curiosity now I need to find out. What would be great is if we could all do research a little research before yelling fire. Cheers.....??
extreme,
Honestly, this is something that I never noticed before on the 12C. (Plus, I've never seen a production road car that has nothing to block the entry of items that could fall or be tossed into the engine bay).
The part that bugs me is: After you wash your car .... You now have an unnecessary wet sloppy mess to clean up in your engine bay.
(Unless my car is missing some part), I can literally stick my fist through those openings. Why couldn't they install a small baffle under there to channel the water to a drain area; rather than having a mini-Niagara Falls.:rolleyes:

FYI: In the first year of Gallardo production they had (exposed to the elements) ignition coils that kept getting wet and shorted out until they retrofitted a specially designed shield to all the cars to prevent this. (So, Lambo obviously dropped the ball in that case.)
Very bizarre ....... Unless you can give me a some reason why a goodly volume of water should be allowed to spill into the rear hatch area.

P.S. I know I'm fussy; but this isn't 'any old car'. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
extreme,
Honestly, this is something that I never noticed before on the 12C. (Plus, I've never seen a production road car that has nothing to block the entry of items that could fall or be tossed into the engine bay).
The part that bugs me is: After you wash your car .... You now have an unnecessary wet sloppy mess to clean up in your engine bay.
(Unless my car is missing some part), I can literally stick my fist through those openings. Why couldn't they install a small baffle under there to channel the water to a drain area; rather than having a mini-Niagara Falls.:rolleyes:

FYI: In the first year of Gallardo production they had (exposed to the elements) ignition coils that kept getting wet and shorted out until they retrofitted a specially designed shield to all the cars to prevent this. (So, Lambo obviously dropped the ball in that case.)
Very bizarre ....... Unless you can give me a some reason why a goodly volume of water should be allowed to spill into the rear hatch area.

P.S. I know I'm fussy; but this isn't 'any old car'. ;)
Hey there's nothing wrong with being fussy, and you know I have yet to wash my car. Probably won't happen for a while, well May I hope. I'm going to look into this matter and see what's going on, I thought you were talking about the rear deck lid vents, sorry for the total misunderstanding. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
107 Posts
No issues getting water in the engine bay. I wash it frequently and thoroughly. Just wait for the engine to cool off first. The fabric you have pointed out cleans and dries pretty easily and is not damaged in any way by water. I have also driven in the snow and I have not noticed any road salt or debris finding its way into the bay or affecting the fabric you mentioned.

The vents on the side are very similar to what I had on my F430 and I believe are similar to the 458 design. Cooling is their primary function. You just need to stop throwing magic markers through the holes.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
No issues getting water in the engine bay. I wash it frequently and thoroughly. Just wait for the engine to cool off first. The fabric you have pointed out cleans and dries pretty easily and is not damaged in any way by water. I have also driven in the snow and I have not noticed any road salt or debris finding its way into the bay or affecting the fabric you mentioned.

The vents on the side are very similar to what I had on my F430 and I believe are similar to the 458 design. Cooling is their primary function. You just need to stop throwing magic markers through the holes.
I must admit N8te I like that last remark(er), it relieved a lot of stress through laughter. LimeyBloke please don't take offense but it is funny. Cheers.....??

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
N8te,
:) Mark my word .....It wasn't my fault, lol.
But ....... if my memory serves me correctly, the 430's vent holes have a mesh under them to prevent crap from falling in. Why did the Woking boys just leave big gaping holes !! They used mesh in other open areas (i.e. beneath the rear 1/4 windows)..:confused:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Get a leaf blower. Ferrari's have the same problem. You can also get some custom rubber covers made when you wash your car to cover each vent. Or just open the hatch first after you wash and blow out the water.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't worry, you won't hurt your car with water!

Do any of you not not drive in the rain???
Unless, I get caught in a shower ...... I plead guilty of not driving in the rain ..... I just don't get any enjoyment in that. To each his own, however. :)

p.s. I already made some 'plugs' using pieces of terry towel stuffed into some baggies ...... and, Viola !! .... tighter than a clam's butt, and that's watertight ! ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
No mesh, no extra weight!!

Remember McLaren people are engineers, they are not normal and don't think like us normal people.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No mesh, no extra weight!!

Remember McLaren people are engineers, they are not normal and don't think like us normal people.
Yup, those holes in mesh, do weigh a lot !!;)
And, I agree ..... the deviser did not visualize, the way we common folks would.:rolleyes:

That Ron, needs me to whip that place into shape !!!:cool:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I jet wash the car almost every week and the amount of water ingress into the engine bay is minimal. That which does get in is very easily mopped up .... certainly easier than taping up the vents every time.

I also drive the car in the rain (yes, it does occasionally rain in the Middle East) without issue.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts