McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Coupe with the standard exhaust and I am trying to decide on the following options 1

1. Fit a Mclaren sports exhaust
2. Fit downpipes on the standard exhaust

The questions are, will the downpipes onto standard exhaust sound better ? or as good as the sports exhaust secondly I know there is a performance gain going with downpipes but will there be a CEL and is tuning needed ?

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
Sport exhaust sounds identical to standard exhaust, it is just a material change (steel to inconel IIRC). You save a bit of weight with the sport exhaust, but that's it. You would be far better off fitting downpipes (catted if you want to minimize/eliminate rasp). I have Larini DPs on my coupe sport exhaust and it sounds great. I had a CEL every once and a while having to do with the O2 sensor, but I cleared them using a $30 OBDII tool I got on Amazon.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C and 2016 675LT Spider
16 Posts
My 2012 12C has a Kooks exhaust with hi-flow cats. It's incredible. It's louder than my 675LT (stock) exhaust.. Couldn't be happier with the setup.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
Sport exhaust sounds identical to standard exhaust, it is just a material change (steel to inconel IIRC). You save a bit of weight with the sport exhaust, but that's it. You would be far better off fitting downpipes (catted if you want to minimize/eliminate rasp). I have Larini DPs on my coupe sport exhaust and it sounds great. I had a CEL every once and a while having to do with the O2 sensor, but I cleared them using a $30 OBDII tool I got on Amazon.
It's my understanding (I had stock sport) that the sport exhaust is a similar tone but louder.

Majority of people that just want it louder can do a sport exhaust leaving the stock cats and get the sound they want. If you want a performance change, then you're into changing downpipes but it will also make it louder. Catless downpipes open up a whole different world of things.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's my understanding (I had stock sport) that the sport exhaust is a similar tone but louder.

Majority of people that just want it louder can do a sport exhaust leaving the stock cats and get the sound they want. If you want a performance change, then you're into changing downpipes but it will also make it louder. Catless downpipes open up a whole different world of things.
Thanks, wont go Catless. Thinking the Larini 200 Cell Downpipes. But with catted downpipes and the stock exhaust, will the sound change ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sports exhaust doesnt sound identical. I drove a few MP4's with Sports exhausts before I bought my car and they are definitely louder.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
Thanks, wont go Catless. Thinking the Larini 200 Cell Downpipes. But with catted downpipes and the stock exhaust, will the sound change ?
I can't definitively say from experience, but from my knowledge different catted downpipes and stock exhaust should yield somewhat louder. A more drastic volume change would be in changing the catback.

·
Owner
495 Posts
Sport exhaust does NOT sound just like a regular exhaust; it will be a bit louder and more aggressive.
The only real way to get real volume is by replacing the downpipes w/aftermarket More sound, more power (especially when tuned) but also, goodbye warranty.
Tough choices.

·
2012 MP4-12C
607 Posts
For the several 12C's I drove, there was no audible difference between standard and sports exhaust. I know they added a mid-pipe muffler on the spiders (not sure if that was only the standard exhaust or both), and later cars (570S onwards) had distinct volume differences between sports and standard exhausts. But the P11 platform (12C/650S) all had a valved H-pipe thru exhaust with or without a ballast muffler for the spiders. The different material does not change the volume, only the weight. Many videos and past posts on this forum confirm this: standard vs. sport exhaust was a material change only for 12C/650S.

In the 12c / 650s there was more of a difference. With those cars the standard exhaust was steel and the sport exhaust was inconel. With Sports Series both exhausts are steel and there is no HP difference between the two. Really, the only difference is noise. I have the standard exhaust on my car, and for me it's fine. I love that under 3k it's docile, but when I run the revs up it's plenty loud.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
For the several 12C's I drove, there was no audible difference between standard and sports exhaust. I know they added a mid-pipe muffler on the spiders (not sure if that was only the standard exhaust or both), and later cars (570S onwards) had distinct volume differences between sports and standard exhausts. But the P11 platform (12C/650S) all had a valved H-pipe thru exhaust with or without a ballast muffler for the spiders. The different material does not change the volume, only the weight. Many videos and past posts on this forum confirm this: standard vs. sport exhaust was a material change only for 12C/650S.

I can confirm one person who messaged me asking advice had standard, bought a factory sports catback and only changed that and reported back it was exactly what they wanted, a little louder.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am in the process of installing the sports exhaust on my spider. It is a change in material but also the H section of the pipe is different. Will report back on sound once I am done installing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can confirm one person who messaged me asking advice had standard, bought a factory sports catback and only changed that and reported back it was exactly what they wanted, a little louder.
There definitely is a change with the sports exhaust. And as far as I know only the early cars had valves exhausts. My 2013 doesn’t

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C
633 Posts
There definitely is a change with the sports exhaust. And as far as I know only the early cars had valves exhausts. My 2013 doesn’t
Interestingly enough, I'm a US spec #362 and factory valved but the valves had no electrical connections. Vacuum lines were connected but electrical were not. It's my understanding North American cars were never supposed to be valved anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mate I have a cargraphic exhaust on mine, it sounds pretty insane and its got electronically controlled flaps by fob..I can pass by one day and you can check it out, I am not sure if my cats have been changed, I need to check, but pretty sure they are oem, I hope so anyway

Look at the option with flaps.. Thats my unit. Exhaust System

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here is a pic I took. You can see the removed muffler on the sport exhaust vs stock on a spider. Stock on top. Sport on bottom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts