McLaren Life banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my 458 and bought a 12 C 10 months ago. I love the 12C and it's even better after upgrade 10. I prefer the 12C to the 458 in all departments except the exhaust note. Any suggestions on what i can do to improve the exhaust note. I know it's not fair to compare a turbo engine to a NA engine but the F40 is turbo and it sounds crazy.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was told by my dealer the spider exhaust is built differently from the current coupe exhaust and sounds better. Will go for a test drive.Also was told if i did not mess around with the cats and just change the exhaust, my warranty will not be affected. I prefer an exhaust note that is high pitch and the video from fabspeed does not seem to do that.

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Whoopsy you are 100% correct in your statement above. With the addition of the turbos like on the McLaren M838T engine the overall sound quality is somewhat muted. When you remove the restrictive nature of the catalytic converters like I've done its a thing of beauty I love. Cheers....??
Was told if i remove the catalytic converters, my warranty is toast. Your dealer is ok with you removing the catalytic converters?

· Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I still have two 200 cell catalytic converters instead of the four that McLaren provides. I'm don't know why there is such a big concern, everyone of my pass and current cars has had the exhaust systems changed. That said I have never had any warranty or mechanical issues due to this type of modification. I sense a lot of paranoia concerning something that should have no affect on the mechanical reliability of this car. Why would allowing the car to breath better create any mechanical concerns. All I can say is, I love it and have no regrets what so ever. Cheers....??
I totally agree with you that what you have done should have no negative issues on the car. The problem is McLaren will void the warranty. I don't usually keep my car more than 2 yrs. I am sure the next owner won't be thrill to know my car's warranty is void and would i will probably get less in resale. Can you share a clip of how your car sounds?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.