McLaren Life banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,924 Posts
I love the way the car sounds, and now that I've changed the exhaust system it's even better. It's louder more aggressive and you can hear the distinct spooling sound that the turbos make, you got to love it. Cheers....??
I love it, too. It's mean and edgy and very unique. I'm pleased to see from that latest P1 video that it sounds very similar, which it would being an evolution of the M838T. So it seems cemented as the signature sound of McLaren - perfect.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
Thanks Peloton - that is a very neat article. The flat plane crank definitely contributes to the high 8500 RPM redline for a twin-turbo V8 motor and also the throttle response when you are on the boost, which feels like a (very, very powerful) normally aspirated motor.

Ricardo seems like a very methodical, meticulous and practical group; when I read that article, I am surprised at how they accomplished so much in such a short timeframe and using a relatively straight-foward design. I'm curious to know if P1 will have direct injection, variable valve lifting and some of the other forward-looking enhancements. It is scary to think that this motor has so much more potential, even without KERS. And the fact that McLaren GT was able to take it racing so soon. Looks like McLaren chose well for a partner.

· Registered
6,924 Posts
I still have two 200 cell catalytic converters instead of the four that McLaren provides. I'm don't know why there is such a big concern, everyone of my pass and current cars has had the exhaust systems changed. That said I have never had any warranty or mechanical issues due to this type of modification. I sense a lot of paranoia concerning something that should have no affect on the mechanical reliability of this car. Why would allowing the car to breath better create any mechanical concerns. All I can say is, I love it and have no regrets what so ever. Cheers....??
ex22, have you actually driven your car, yet, or just heard it. I'm asking because I'm curious if any other power delivery dynamics have changed. There are some cars I've driven, with valved exhausts or mods to free up the flow, that actually feel much different when rolling on the gas from 3000 rpm for example. Almost as if the change in back pressure has reduced the immediate torque delivery or something. I'm no expert in this stuff, but just curious to hear how the car drives after exhaust mods, especially post 10.2 where the drivetrain is now near perfectly calibrated. Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.