McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Not sure what I'm looking at. Have you tried pulling it out? Does it look like it's just wedge in between the rim and the tire? Might have just gotten stuck in between when the tire was mounted. Or is the string embedded in the tire sidewall?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was actually coming from the sidewall. One of my tenants is a large tire shop. I called the owner. He said it’s no issue.

·
Registered
119 Posts
so probably just snip it off as close to the rubber as possible so that it doesn't get snagged and cause a run in the rubber

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
203 Posts
Very strange - I would email those pictures to Pirelli and see what they say.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It was probably debris that got molded out through the tire if it's in the sidewall. There are so many layers that its probably not an issue. I would register/document it with pirelli just in case you need it replaced. These are beefy run flat sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Pirelli having some issues of late. I am sure most saw the F1 race this past weekend. We also had several blow outs at Watkins Glen that were questionable.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
if it's actually coming through the sidewall,ask dealer to replace the tire. i would not want anything coming out of a tire on a vehicle that can go 200+mph.
at minimum,tire bead should be popped off the rim at those locations for a visual check. based on what i can see in photos,it looks more like something is sandwiched between the bead and the rim.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's hard to tell from the picture but could it be from when the car was washed and maybe the wash mit strings got caught in the crack somehow? I have noticed on occasion my wash mit gets wedged between the body trim and I have to pull out the small fibers later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yeah, agree with @mmonin - it's almost certainly fabric bits from the wash mitt that got trapped between the sidewall and the rim. I would not worry about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts