McLaren Life banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Plant

What are the best driving roads in North America ? I recently was able to drive the Tail of the Dragon, the best public road I have taken my 650S on so far.

·
Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
344 Posts
That is on my bucket list! But with my injuries it may not get checked off....:rolleyes:

I assume you have done the "Coast" in Cali? The northern section (from SF up) is low traffic weekdays and very technical in most areas... Especially up above Jenner... Give me a couple days notice and I'll run it with ya! Though, my injuries will limit me to Hwy 128 just south of Mendo, as for how far North I can get....

2012 MP4-12C
2,738 Posts
Tail of the Dragon CAN be a great road, however, it's quite often patrolled for speeding (and the speed limit isn't over 35 MPH, I think) and more times than not you'll get stuck behind a Harley doing 20 or a truck that isn't supposed to be on the road at all. You also have to deal with people crossing double yellow when they shouldn't and people over-driving cars where they learn what understeer is. The roads AROUND that area are better.

Western NC has a ton of great roads, around the area of Asheville. I drive there a lot, and in upstate SC (where I live, at the base of mountains) and northern GA also has some good ones. It's basically the area right below western NC. US-278, US-215, US-276, and US-281 are good drives. You can take many of those also over to US-441 and go to TN on it.

This one is US-278 which leads into NC

Malibu canyons in CA are fantastic, several roads in that area, this one is Latigo Canyon (in a Ferrari, and 360 so you can change the view how you want)

Further south, running between San Clemente and Lake Elsinore is Ortega Highway which is often populated but has plenty of turn off points and people tend to move over to let you by.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
If you are ever in New York, there are some great roads near Bear Mountain. Also northern NJ has Hawk’s Nest, which is fantastic.

Then of course there is the “Long Island of Man” route from Queens to Suffolk County, but that is a whole different story.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,446 Posts
View attachment 221304

What are the best driving roads in North America ? I recently was able to drive the Tail of the Dragon, the best public road I have taken my 650S on so far.
There is one near me, but I'm not telling. The problem with the best roads are, once you tell everyone, they are no longer the best roads. Tale of the dragon is a tale of tragedy IMO.

There are a LOT of great roads around West Virginia and the hills there. Lots in Northern California way past hell hole SF all the way up to Washington. You don't have to look very far. Basically many places near mountains with low populations.

·
2012 MP4-12C
9,446 Posts
That is on my bucket list! But with my injuries it may not get checked off....:rolleyes:

I assume you have done the "Coast" in Cali? The northern section (from SF up) is low traffic weekdays and very technical in most areas... Especially up above Jenner... Give me a couple days notice and I'll run it with ya! Though, my inquires will limit me to Hwy 128 just south of Mendo, as for how far North I can get....
Sorry to hear. Hope you recover fully and faster than you expect.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are ever in New York, there are some great roads near Bear Mountain. Also northern NJ has Hawk’s Nest, which is fantastic.

Then of course there is the “Long Island of Man” route from Queens to Suffolk County, but that is a whole different story.
I grew up in Smithtown know that route well LOL. Agree Bear mountain is a great drive.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tail of the Dragon CAN be a great road, however, it's quite often patrolled for speeding (and the speed limit isn't over 35 MPH, I think) and more times than not you'll get stuck behind a Harley doing 20 or a truck that isn't supposed to be on the road at all. You also have to deal with people crossing double yellow when they shouldn't and people over-driving cars where they learn what understeer is. The roads AROUND that area are better.

Western NC has a ton of great roads, around the area of Asheville. I drive there a lot, and in upstate SC (where I live, at the base of mountains) and northern GA also has some good ones. It's basically the area right below western NC. US-278, US-215, US-276, and US-281 are good drives. You can take many of those also over to US-441 and go to TN on it.

This one is US-278 which leads into NC

Malibu canyons in CA are fantastic, several roads in that area, this one is Latigo Canyon (in a Ferrari, and 360 so you can change the view how you want)

Further south, running between San Clemente and Lake Elsinore is Ortega Highway which is often populated but has plenty of turn off points and people tend to move over to let you by.
I did the Blue Ridge parkway also on this rally. Found some great roads near there.

2012 MP4-12C
2,738 Posts
I did the Blue Ridge parkway also on this rally. Found some great roads near there.
You did a fraction of the parkway. Asheville NC is where the parkway runs through, those are the roads I'm on all the time. There are spots of the parkway that can be fun but it's also federal land so those tickets stick. A LOT of tunnels though, if you're into that.

Reactions: batcheej

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those around San Fran most know Skyline Blvd with the famous Alice's Cafe in the middle. It's a great drive and pretty much any of the roads leading off it down to Highway 1 or east toward the Bay are fun. It can get busy, especially on weekends. Related, a few weeks back with a group from work, I drove up to the Bruce Canepa (canepa.com) gallery/museum/workshop. They have an amazing collection of cars that I had no idea was there. From there we went out to Bonny Doon and down to Highway 1 then north a bit and back up to Alice's/Skyline. My 570GT loved that drive. Was great fun.

Further south I like Highway 159 from Gilroy over the hill to Watsonville then turn south and link up to the CA-129 back to the US101. Or keep heading south from Watsonville on Highway 1 and go for as far as you want all the way past Carmel and down the Big Sur coastline on 1. I've not driven far along that in my McLaren as yet but it is definitely on the list... just don't get distracted by the views as it is properly windy with long drops!

Driving back from Tahoe to Napa Valley, Waze recently rerouted me to a new road which was awesome. I was in my Macan S and it was fun in that but would be even better in a sports car. It is highway CA128 from Winters to Napa. Lovely drive, pretty empty even on a Saturday, and there's even a hydroelectric dam up there (who knew?!?).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hope you recover fully and faster than you expect.
I appreciate the thoughtful remark! But, unfortunately, SS plates/screws just don't go away and are extremely painful/unpleasant in the human body, especially on the ribs!
Gas Font Heat Pattern Event

·
Registered
344 Posts
For those around San Fran most know Skyline Blvd with the famous Alice's Cafe in the middle. It's a great drive and pretty much any of the roads leading off it down to Highway 1 or east toward the Bay are fun. It can get busy, especially on weekends. Related, a few weeks back with a group from work, I drove up to the Bruce Canepa (canepa.com) gallery/museum/workshop. They have an amazing collection of cars that I had no idea was there. From there we went out to Bonny Doon and down to Highway 1 then north a bit and back up to Alice's/Skyline. My 570GT loved that drive. Was great fun.

Driving back from Tahoe to Napa Valley, Waze recently rerouted me to a new road which was awesome. I was in my Macan S and it was fun in that but would be even better in a sports car. It is highway CA128 from Winters to Napa. Lovely drive, pretty empty even on a Saturday, and there's even a hydroelectric dam up there (who knew?!?).
I have given up on Skyline. It has just turned into a hot mess.... Used to run it a LOT on my bikes and cars <SIGH>.... I have a boatload more cool roads roughly around the 128 area you mentioned. If ya wanna run em, lemme know.... ;-) They are more west and north but not too much farther unless you wanna run 128 WEST to the coast! :love:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Tail of the Dragon is certainly fun but as Sean said there are better roads close by. For me at least I prefer roads with more high speed sweepers than tight curves that you have to take in 2nd and 3rd gear. The sad thing is that there has been so many people moving to the mountains in western NC that it’s harder not to get stuck behind other cars. Nothing like it was 20 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts