McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now a lot of us have got over the initial thrill and excitement of ownership I thought it would be interesting to ask what is good and not so good about ownership but limit to 3 items only

Here is my attempt.

Good Bits

1. Stunning ballistic engine allied to chassis with great feedback.........OK accuse me of two Good Bits

2. Suspension that is truly versatile. That gives supreme ride comfort or solid track day control.

3. I can switch the noise off on long trips...........this makes the car usable.

Not So Good Bits.

1. The excessive depreciation, only because my expectations were ill judged. It is academic if you intend to keep the car but it will stop me changing, or upgrading, in the short term and that is bad for me and Mclaren.

2. The seats cause back ache......that's probably more about my long back but it is a pain !

3. The rear wheel surface gets potholed by stones from the front wheel. It is more of a maintenance cost but the surface finish should be specified to deal with this reality.

My NSGB's may be petty but it is a struggle to think of them.

I would be interested in other views.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good stuff

1. Acceleration/torque

2. Handling-gives me confidence

3. the doors-so sexy

Bad stuff

1. Depreciation-have to give the spider a miss

2. Sound- a bit too tame for me

Only have 2 things i don't like, overall it's a great car

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good stuff

1. engine and drivetrain
2. visability,the best yet
3. interior,simple,well thought out and to the point.

Bad stuff
1.depreciation,partly due to the world we live in,and also the press getting up them selves,but also due to the initial problems
2. eveything that is still work in progress,but i did sign up for that i suppose
3. There isnt one for me,everything else is a big positive

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy, the visibility is brilliant. Forgot that probably because I'm institutionalised to it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pros:

1: Looks. I know it's a negative to some, by I love it.
2: Doors. Truly exotic.
3: Drivability. Great touring car, and track monster... Makes me feel like Senna on the track!
4: Dealer service. I had to add this extra one. Has been impeccable!

Cons:

1: Work-in-progres feel. Sometimes doesn't feel like a finished product... Electronic bugs, etc...
2: Doors. Both love and hate them... Difficult to close, difficult access in closed quarters.
3: Lag. I know it's minimal, but still doesn't kick like a NA engine.

I had a really hard time keeping it to 4 pros!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Same good bits as pretty much everyone else, plus storage space - there's an amazing amount for a sports car, I can get two cases of wine in the front and two big bags behind the seats (OK, maybe I'm comparing it to my GT which has zero storage)
Bad bits, I think RIC has touched on this, but the entire lower edge of the doors is always filthy no matter how often you clean it, plus it gets the crap beaten out of it by road chips etc. On a normal car, this wouldn't be such a big thing but on the 12 c, everytime you open the door it's staring you in the face!
Another good bit, its the easiest car I've ever had to hand-wash, such a smooth simple shape with no extra bits tacked on

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Same good bits as pretty much everyone else, plus storage space - there's an amazing amount for a sports car, I can get two cases of wine in the front and two big bags behind the seats (OK, maybe I'm comparing it to my GT which has zero storage)
Bad bits, I think RIC has touched on this, but the entire lower edge of the doors is always filthy no matter how often you clean it, plus it gets the crap beaten out of it by road chips etc. On a normal car, this wouldn't be such a big thing but on the 12 c, everytime you open the door it's staring you in the face!
Another good bit, its the easiest car I've ever had to hand-wash, such a smooth simple shape with no extra bits tacked on
Well Texas your going to have to install some mud flaps on your beautiful car to prevent the filth from occurring. Laugh out loud.....Cheers....??

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Well Texas your going to have to install some mud flaps on your beautiful car to prevent the filth from occurring. Laugh out loud.....Cheers....����
Ken,havent you seen the mud flaps??? They do exsist,but they are mainly designed to prevent chips:)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm going to cheat

Good Bits

1. Looks. Style. Wow factor. Just so much better than photos/images. Italian girls love it and that's OK by me.

2. It is so engaging to drive. Nuff said

3. All the colours seem to work, and there are a lot of colours.

Not So Good

1. The paint is very soft, they should make that clear. OK it needs a wrap.

2. I would separate dynamic stability management from the engine maps.

3. The Beta owners do not get complementary invites to mclaren F1 hospitality.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Not had it long enough to be confident in my reply but
Pros;
Looks
Handling
Doors
So easy to cover ground
Noise, not too over the top

Cons;
Doors- closing them is wearing me down.
interior space for small items
sun visor

So petty little bits really :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Worcester is the noisy sound from front area .
Good is the power

·
Owner
893 Posts
I don't have any list (very few miles, still) .... but, I will throw this thought out here .....
For those that have the full leather interior; does anyone actually smell leather ?? This is the only car I've ever had, having a leather interior where there is not even a whiff of leather smell inside. My last Lamborghini was awash in a wonderful leather aroma; the 12C just has (for want of a better term) an industrial resin smell inside.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wonder if you are smelling the resin in the tub or it could be glue........careful as it can be addictive. If your driving becomes erratic open the windows and pull over. Do you find the need to go for drives on an increasingly regular basis?

My car is devoid of stink but I smell as in the verb to smell. No leather stink which I've always thought was false and suspected was applied via a spray can. But I guess.

On a serious note, my car is full leather and it does not have that nice aroma........disappointing really.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't have any list (very few miles, still) .... but, I will throw this thought out here .....
For those that have the full leather interior; does anyone actually smell leather ?? This is the only car I've ever had, having a leather interior where there is not even a whiff of leather smell inside. My last Lamborghini was awash in a wonderful leather aroma; the 12C just has (for want of a better term) an industrial resin smell inside.
May I suggest hanging one of those leather scent air fresheners from your mirror. Lol....

·
Owner
893 Posts
Wonder if you are smelling the resin in the tub or it could be glue........careful as it can be addictive. If your driving becomes erratic open the windows and pull over. Do you find the need to go for drives on an increasingly regular basis?

My car is devoid of stink but I smell as in the verb to smell. No leather stink which I've always thought was false and suspected was applied via a spray can. But I guess.

On a serious note, my car is full leather and it does not have that nice aroma........disappointing really.
Well, at least we now know the 12C ........ Goes like stink !! ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You know it probably has to do with the fact that the Italian cows are a lot fresher then the English cows. I think that Woking needs to start buying their cows from Italy. Lol....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
For me: Waiting for it to be delivered! ;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts