McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of summer 2019, Does anyone have thoughts on what US dealers are paying for a 675LT coupe or spider with low miles and decently spec'd. I'd like to buy one but want to understand the floor in the market (i.e. if I need to dump it what will I get). My gut is 200k, maybe less but would love anyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
take the last ones that were added within the last 3-6 months to any online list available and deduct about 20% of that price. that should give you a fairly good estimate than

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Lowest currently available 675LTs in EU are about 270k Euro for Coupes and 325k for Spiders ... I would deduct about 40-50k for trade ins and about 20-30k for commission

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Lowest currently available 675LTs in EU are about 270k Euro for Coupes and 325k for Spiders ... I would deduct about 40-50k for trade ins and about 20-30k for commission
I think you're (your estimate is) high. Here's a coupe with not even a thousand miles on it for less than 200k sterling, or about €225k.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think you're (your estimate is) high. Here's a coupe with not even a thousand miles on it for less than 200k sterling, or about €225k.

UK cars are lower mostly bc of RHD. No one wants them here on the continent and the market over there is relatively small with big inventory while also for several reasons (Brexit fears and so on) UK's luxury car market is weak, it has however nearly always been like that, that you could have cars from UK considerably cheaper than they are here ... The numbers I gave are from mobile.de which lists quiet a lot of cars (35 or so 675LT are currently on there).

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
UK cars are lower mostly bc of RHD. No one wants them here on the continent and the market over there is relatively small with big inventory while also for several reasons (Brexit fears and so on) UK's luxury car market is weak, it has however nearly always been like that, that you could have cars from UK considerably cheaper than they are here ... The numbers I gave are from mobile.de which lists quiet a lot of cars (35 or so 675LT are currently on there).
I'll grant you that the UK market is soft now, especially because of Brexit, and the consequent drop in sterling has made that worse.
It is not however correct that "it has however nearly always been like that". I know a number of UK-based people who bought LHD Carrera GTs in the States and 993 RS CSs on the Continent and imported them because it was cheaper that way.

:)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'll grant you that the UK market is soft now, especially because of Brexit, and the consequent drop in sterling has made that worse.
It is not however correct that "it has however nearly always been like that". I know a number of UK-based people who bought LHD Carrera GTs in the States and 993 RS CSs on the Continent and imported them because it was cheaper that way.

:)
it very much depends on the cars. 300SL which I follow for 20-25 years and most other classic cars have nearly always been lower in UK since I can remember - well they used to collect more and the choices (also domestic) used to be bigger in UK, so prices especially for german brands were traditionally lower ... most used sports cars were the same - also lower in UK than EU ... I can also confirm that the US market is a good source for us here too, but now no one wants US imports anymore bc resale is very difficult or needs a big discount over EU deliveries e.g. the difference between a US delivered and German delivered MB SLS could easily be 30-40k euro all else being the same.

Also you may remember that the USD - EUR rate since Euro introduction changed from 0.95USD/EUR to 1.65USD/EUR and back to 1.09USD/EUR and so on ... similar swings apply for the Pound/EUR exchange rates during those last two decades

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
it very much depends on the cars. 300SL which I follow for 20-25 years and most other classic cars have nearly always been lower in UK since I can remember - well they used to collect more and the choices (also domestic) used to be bigger in UK, so prices especially for german brands were traditionally lower ... most used sports cars were the same - also lower in UK than EU ... I can also confirm that the US market is a good source for us here too, but now no one wants US imports anymore bc resale is very difficult or needs a big discount over EU deliveries e.g. the difference between a US delivered and German delivered MB SLS could easily be 30-40k euro all else being the same.

Also you may remember that the USD - EUR rate since Euro introduction changed from 0.95USD/EUR to 1.65USD/EUR and back to 1.09USD/EUR and so on ... similar swings apply for the Pound/EUR exchange rates during those last two decades
Yes, I am familiar with the modern history of FX rates between major currencies. ;)
The 300SL is, I would suggest, not a representative example, being one of the all-time, all-time classic German cars.
Let's put it this way: despite being based in the UK, in the last twenty years I have bought many cars on the Continent, and that was not because I wanted to spend more than I would have had to do in the UK. ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes, I am familiar with the modern history of FX rates between major currencies. ;)
The 300SL is, I would suggest, not a representative example, being one of the all-time, all-time classic German cars.
Let's put it this way: despite being based in the UK, in the last twenty years I have bought many cars on the Continent, and that was not because I wanted to spend more than I would have had to do in the UK. ;)
Yes that is why the 300SL is a good example, one would expect that its price is roughly about the same on all markets, which was not true for very long time ... Mclaren in UK is from what I can see totally the same ... Values there are not all representative and differ a lot from other markets. No matter if you look at P1/675LT or Senna online, they are all the cheapest in UK and that is by sometimes 20-25% lower prices than EU or US, also there often several units available while for example in US these are all comparable less common ...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Going back to the 675LT - Most of what Im seeing in US for low mileage cars are offers averaging around $250K regardless of coupe vs spider. Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to pick one of these up for around $200k-$225k? That would be around 40% depreciation in 3 years for anyone that bought the car in 2016.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Going back to the 675LT - Most of what Im seeing in US for low mileage cars are offers averaging around $250K regardless of coupe vs spider. Is it unreasonable to expect to be able to pick one of these up for around $200k-$225k? That would be around 40% depreciation in 3 years for anyone that bought the car in 2016.
Unreasonable. Dealers typically dont knock $25K off the top of a $250K car. Pretty safe bet that they purchased it for ~$220-230K. A lot of the inventory has also been sitting for a while. Prices have been lowered and dealers may be close to being upside down in these cars. Now its POSSIBLE that they stole it in a trade, but it seems unlikely.

The challenge with the 675LT is that was priced near a pre-owned 720S. A buyer coming up with an extra 10% can get into a pre owned 720S. Come up 25% and youre in a brand new 720s. Some loyalists may argue that the 675LT is a "purists" car and "feels more connected", but its older technology, the older model, more problematic, and slower. Pretty hard pill to swallow when it comes down to writing that check.

12C's have settled in the low 100's. 650S's have dropped a bit but will obviously command a premium over a 12C so its safe to say they will settle in the $140K range. Probably a safe bet to assume 675LT's will settle in the 180-220K range. 720S still has 2 years of production and then the 7XXLT will emerge. They will continue to have downward pricing pressure when they add another 3000-4000 cars in a pretty cramped market.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Unreasonable. Dealers typically dont knock $25K off the top of a $250K car. Pretty safe bet that they purchased it for ~$220-230K. A lot of the inventory has also been sitting for a while. Prices have been lowered and dealers may be close to being upside down in these cars. Now its POSSIBLE that they stole it in a trade, but it seems unlikely.

The challenge with the 675LT is that was priced near a pre-owned 720S. A buyer coming up with an extra 10% can get into a pre owned 720S. Come up 25% and youre in a brand new 720s. Some loyalists may argue that the 675LT is a "purists" car and "feels more connected", but its older technology, the older model, more problematic, and slower. Pretty hard pill to swallow when it comes down to writing that check.

12C's have settled in the low 100's. 650S's have dropped a bit but will obviously command a premium over a 12C so its safe to say they will settle in the $140K range. Probably a safe bet to assume 675LT's will settle in the 180-220K range. 720S still has 2 years of production and then the 7XXLT will emerge. They will continue to have downward pricing pressure when they add another 3000-4000 cars in a pretty cramped market.
Downward pressure depends also a bit on how good the 570s replacement will be. If it is not significantly better in performance than the 720s (which I doubt, and more likely think it will keep some distance with the 720s being still king) I guess the price of a good spec 570s replacement (likely 230-240k will more or less define the low point for a good used lower mileage 720s ...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I may be biased because I recently purchased a 675LTS but for me the car was already a steal when you consider what it represents and how it drives. The technology and materials used in this car are not available on anything in its current price range, add to that the fact it’s the 1st LT product, limited to 500 and 500 and for me it’s the best looking modern sports car. I also wanted a convertible without shake and extra weight and there again it stands alone. I have really no idea why someone would buy a 488 for the same money or more, and I like Ferrari’s, I still have 2. The car is unlike anything else I’ve ever driven and it is as good as everyone says.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
How long do you intend to keep the car? Certainly the floor today is not necessarily the floor tomorrow. Or in 12 months. I guess, how much would you be willing to lose over the course of ownership?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I drove the Chicane Gray at McPhilly. I think the price dropped to 249. They have a red one with less option in the 230s. Both I believe are qualified.

Id love to have one but they are outside of my comfort zone and the race buckets are small for my frame. Also the 720s being so close in price will sway a lot of buyers.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts

Dealers were knocking 10% off asking price with the 12C/650S, so I don't see why not with the 675.

If they paid $225K and it's just languishing, they'd be more than happy to get rid of the car at break even. These aren't going up in value any time soon and likely will even go down. At some point dealers want to cut their losses/hopes and move on.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts

Curious. Why do you say the LT is more problematic than the 720? Seems to me the 720 has its fair share of issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im willing to hold the car for a few years or more. Dont really want to lose on the car more than operating cost. Cars in this bracket that Ive held for a few years usually cost me around 10k a year in depreciation if bought ok. Which is why at low 200s I think I should be safe. Much more and if this goes to 200ish it would be hard for me to justify the purchase. Interesting that there is an extensive thread from exactly a year ago predicting it would hit 200k by around now.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Im willing to hold the car for a few years or more. Dont really want to lose on the car more than operating cost. Cars in this bracket that Ive held for a few years usually cost me around 10k a year in depreciation if bought ok. Which is why at low 200s I think I should be safe. Much more and if this goes to 200ish it would be hard for me to justify the purchase. Interesting that there is an extensive thread from exactly a year ago predicting it would hit 200k by around now.
Well I cannot see an 675LT going below 180k ever if in good condition ... it’s just too much car for any lower amount of money ... so I guess buying at 220-240 and holding it for 4-5 years you should not have much to worry about

1 - 20 of 82 Posts