McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity for the passed 6-8 months I have been looking between a 12c and a 570s. What’s the lowest you guys have seen 570s go for? And how much lower do you think they will go? I’m talking between 2016 and 2017. Have u seen them in the sub 120’s ?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just out of curiosity for the passed 6-8 months I have been looking between a 12c and a 570s. What’s the lowest you guys have seen 570s go for? And how much lower do you think they will go? I’m talking between 2016 and 2017. Have u seen them in the sub 120’s ?
I have heard)someone on this forum) knows of a sale in the mid $110s.
I think it’s possible

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have heard)someone on this forum) knows of a sale in the mid $110s.
I think it’s possible
correct on that. A guy on the Facebook forums snagged one for 115k. Owner was only asking 120k and looking for a quick sales. It was on Cars.com. Realistically you’re looking at a best case of 130k from what I’ve seen. Unless you find that diamond in the rough kind of deal.

·
Registered
578 Posts
correct on that. A guy on the Facebook forums snagged one for 115k. Owner was only asking 120k and looking for a quick sales. It was on Cars.com. Realistically you’re looking at a best case of 130k from what I’ve seen. Unless you find that diamond in the rough kind of deal.
There is a lot of inventory that has been sitting for months with dealers waiting out the winter for a hopeful spring. And in Spring came covid 19.
Floor plan and inventory overload will soon either wholesale sales between dealers or price cutting to generate capital.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a lot of inventory that has been sitting for months with dealers waiting out the winter for a hopeful spring. And in Spring came covid 19.
Floor plan and inventory overload will soon either wholesale sales between dealers or price cutting to generate capital.

I feel like, or hope, that now would be a good time to snag one up. For the longest time I have been looking for a well sorted 12c, but I feel like the 570 is becoming more and more within reach. IF just if, I could find them in the 120’s, I would deff pick one up. I guess only time will tell. Best part is, I’m in no rush, but I have to admit, the itch is getting worse lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
current market for a nice car seems 125-130
At the 110 level I’ll jump back in for a nice 570.
Lots of economic issues going on till late 2020 it looks like. I think you’ll see a 15% drop over next 5-6 months. This isn’t just for Mclaren but most exotic brands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
current market for a nice car seems 125-130
At the 110 level I’ll jump back in for a nice 570.
Lots of economic issues going on till late 2020 it looks like. I think you’ll see a 15% drop over next 5-6 months. This isn’t just for Mclaren but most exotic brands.

I agree with you. I just have to suck it up for a few months hopefully, and just wait it out. Till then, I’m just waiting to see if anything comes around for the right price.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I put this data together in pursuit of my 570S purchase (~2mo ago). They can be had in the $120s, but in that price bracket, you're looking at:

(a) low-specs
(b) higher miles
(c) a potentially blemished CarFax
(d) desolate locations that require expensive shipping and remote PPIs

Beneath $120k, the car likely comes with a story. That could be an extensive accident history, or someone that really needs to get out from under the car and wants just above dealer trade-in. Can these "deals" be found? Yes. Are they rare, and is everyone and their mother also looking for them? Also yes.

Have 570's plummeted in value because of Covid? No, they have not. I anticipate Covid will continue to accelerate depreciation, but not drastic numbers like 25%.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
423 Posts
Have you done such plotting over time? Even a 3D graph?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have you done such plotting over time? Even a 3D graph?
I worked with a data entry guy to collect info over time, which happened to have started pre-Covid. Within the time period of that data collection you could see the trending. No fancy 3D graphs like that guy on YouTube. I'd have to run another pass at the current market rates to update the trending...but from glancing at AutoTrader ads, prices are not significantly different from 1mo ago. In fact, they seem (oddly) flat.

It may go without being said, but my data reflected a point in time, and cannot predict future trend/s in such an uncertain market.

·
Registered
578 Posts
just for my clarity, these are plotted figures of asking price, not completed deals?

·
Registered
187 Posts
just for my clarity, these are plotted figures of asking price, not completed deals?
Yes - in the absence of completed sales figures, which I do not have access to as the average buyer, I used asking prices as a proxy for sales price.

It seems the average sales price for an exotic is 2-3% less than asking. But of course, even the actual sales figures can be misleading, as a buyer's trade-in negotiation has an impact on the total deal cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like at that rate by mid to end of next year, they will be in the 100-115, who knows, and if that happens, what will happen to 600’s and 720’s ? Sub 150-170????

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
423 Posts
Not just what are they selling for, but what volume are actually changing ownership.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I feel like at that rate by mid to end of next year, they will be in the 100-115, who knows, and if that happens, what will happen to 600’s and 720’s ? Sub 150-170????
Feels a bit ambitious considering the current trade-in price for highly spec'd 570's is in the 120-130s. Low specs in the 110s.

Anything can happen. During the 09/10 crash, exotics traded considerably lower than their previous market value, but then quickly recovered. It's a classic try to catch a falling knife situation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The current situation is going to push prices down, but as we've seen with similar circumstances in the past, you get a reverse effect after some time. You will have a period of time where fewer new cars are made & sold, so fewer used cars will be available. With the economic situation, people will want to try to be a little more careful with spending, so more will look for used cars. Add to that McLaren specific issues like the fact that they already slowed/stopped production on existing models, new ones like the GT don't seem that exciting, and what we see from them in a couple of years might be a V-6 hybrid, and demand for the current cars may go up even higher.

So its tough to predict what will really happen. Just like the weather, you will be 100% sure about the forecast after it happens.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Lowest price ive see is 115k in a private desperation sale. I almost bought 17’ 570GT for 130k, kind regret it now. The lowest I’ve been avle to negotiate is 130k

1 - 20 of 45 Posts