McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Wow! Looks like McLaren are doing the Porsche thing were they are conservative with their 'official' numbers.
Bodes well for the P1!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Wow! Looks like McLaren are doing the Porsche thing were they are conservative with their 'official' numbers.
Bodes well for the P1!
If you look a dyno charts for the MP4, it's clear they're understating torque. McLaren claims 443lbft at the crank but they put out 415-420 lbft at the wheels (which would equate to about 475-485 at the crank), and that was before the software upgrade.

·
Owner
277 Posts
PHONY
count the shifts the McLaren hits its top speed in 6 gear top speed in 7 gear is 186
You might be able to do that on a Dyno no wind to push through and you can hear the Dyno wheels rolling to a stop in the video.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
PHONY
count the shifts the McLaren hits its top speed in 6 gear top speed in 7 gear is 186
You might be able to do that on a Dyno no wind to push through and you can hear the Dyno wheels rolling to a stop in the video.
I don't own a 12c, but the traction control light seems to be blinking. I thought it had to be turned off before it can go on the dyno? also Im pretty sure thats wind buffeting noise in the back ground, also Its quite common to launch from second gear...

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
PHONY
I think you are mistaken. There are five shifts

71 kph - 1st to 2nd
110 kph - 2nd to 3rd
158 kph - 3rd to 4th
208 kph - 4th to 5th
270 kph - 5th to 6th

I'm not sure there is a static dyno in the world that could handle continuous running at such high speeds. The shift into 6th occurs at 1m05s in the video. The run to 346 kph takes us to 1m55s and the car doesn't really begin to slow down until 2m05s. I'm not even sure the car would survive a minute-long top speed run without the amount of airflow into the radiators that would be generated by those speeds. You certainly aren't going to be able to mimic that much pressure with portable fans.

Ready to be corrected if I am wrong, but we're talking about Sport Auto here and they have a pretty impeccable reputation for going above and beyond with their testing to get it right.

The caption on the video also says the speed was nearly matched with a GPS recorder at 343 kph so not much speedo error in play here.

>8^)
ER

·
Owner
277 Posts

71 kph - 1st to 2nd
110 kph - 2nd to 3rd
158 kph - 3rd to 4th
208 kph - 4th to 5th
270 kph - 5th to 6th

I'm not sure there is a static dyno in the world that could handle continuous running at such high speeds. The shift into 6th occurs at 1m05s in the video. The run to 356 kph takes us to 1m55s and the car doesn't really begin to slow down until 2m05s. I'm not even sure the car would survive a minute-long top speed run without the amount of airflow into the radiators that would be generated by those speeds. You certainly aren't going to be able to mimic that much pressure with portable fans.

Ready to be corrected if I am wrong, but we're talking about Sport Auto here and they have a pretty impeccable reputation for going above and beyond with their testing to get it right.

The caption on the video also says the speed was nearly matched with a GPS recorder at 343 kph so not much speedo error in play here.

>8^)
ER
Your correct I counted the shifts wrong, but I still think it is phony. McLaren states top speed 205 in 6th gear and 186 in 7th I just don't see how it is possible.

·
Owner
277 Posts

71 kph - 1st to 2nd
110 kph - 2nd to 3rd
158 kph - 3rd to 4th
208 kph - 4th to 5th
270 kph - 5th to 6th

I'm not sure there is a static dyno in the world that could handle continuous running at such high speeds. The shift into 6th occurs at 1m05s in the video. The run to 356 kph takes us to 1m55s and the car doesn't really begin to slow down until 2m05s. I'm not even sure the car would survive a minute-long top speed run without the amount of airflow into the radiators that would be generated by those speeds. You certainly aren't going to be able to mimic that much pressure with portable fans.

>8^)
ER
The thing about speedo error is correct I just tested mine against the Vbox GPS at 50 it was 1 MPH high at 100 it was 2 MPH high seems pretty close. My Murcie is high by 8.5%

·
Owner
277 Posts
I don't own a 12c, but the traction control light seems to be blinking. I thought it had to be turned off before it can go on the dyno? also Im pretty sure thats wind buffeting noise in the back ground, also Its quite common to launch from second gear...
The traction control light was flashing because he used launch control, you can also see the RPM held at just above 3000 then it jumps up the car hooks and it drops back a bit that is how launch control works . Everything looks correct in the video, but it is hard to believe Mclaren is of by 10 MPH

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Well we should also consider that is not a two way average, but a single run. It may have been downhill and with a tailwind. AND / OR they gave SA a juiced press car. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

In any case, as I said, recently I've been feeling like the upgrade was more than 25 PS. The car just has gobs of power when you hold your foot to the floor and the turbos surge relentlessly even in 5th and 6th gear. It certainly feels like it should be several mph faster than some other supposedly 200 mph cars I've driven. In fact I hit an indicated 200 mph in a Gallardo 560-4 a few years back on a runway and the 12C feels way, way faster than that did, so.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
^ I don't think that McLaren is "wrong", I think they are just being humble/conservative with their published numbers. Like how every turbo Japanese performance car in the 90's made 276 horsepower :D
Ah! So you remember the mighty Subaru Impreza 22B.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts