McLaren Life banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
“I’m a Tuner”
1,296 Posts
I canceled the 3rd party policy (not McL warranty) and got the balance refunded. I have the parts but don't have a metallurgist on speed dial. I've been meaning to write a review but I've been too busy enjoying the car daily. I'll get to it soon enough, for "the Internet's sake" :)

View attachment 212687

Thrilled to see your driving the car often and finally able to enjoy it after the heartache of the camshaft follower failure.

The part I love the most is the same day you picked the car up from the major engine-out repair... you immediately drove it from Atlanta to Boston and had the most epic road trip... I think you said 1700 miles?

Keep going! 21k miles as of today... the McMedics recommend at least 1,000 miles per month or your car will feel lonely and depressed. ;)

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Update: I've put 5K miles on the car since the work was done. I'm going to get an oil change done. It's 20F these days so the car is parked for the season.

After the 1,700 mile road trip, I had a few things to address but @ima2nr (McMedics) was great and walked me through the fixes so I could complete them in my garage: water pump coolant hose leak, soft close motor on passenger door needed replacing - all fixed. In all, for under $40k, I was able to get a fair amount done:
  • Soft close door upgrade
  • Headlight mold removal
  • Camshaft 1 cracked - replaced with new
  • Camshaft 2 worn down - replaced with new
  • New camshaft followers
  • Cam phasers x4 - proactively replaced with new while engine out
  • Coil packs and spark plugs - proactively replaced with new while engine out
  • Track pack (better water pump, bigger coolant reservoir) installed
  • New valve covers installed with new seals
  • Passenger front strut with lift - leaky strut replaced with new
  • Thorney hose clamp kit installed
  • Iris 1 to 2 upgrade
  • Accumulators x4 - replaced with new
  • CV boot leak fixed
  • Armadillo refresh
  • Recharge AC
  • Door rattle fix
  • Undercarriage strakes/vanes replaced
  • One way enclosed shipping and return road trip
I got this message a few days ago but it doesn't throw any OBD codes. It stays on after starting the car. Anyone have a suggestion other than the usual battery disconnect?

Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks. Will call the dealer for the part. Any tips on the install? Looked on the forums but couldn't find any guidance.

·
Registered
554 Posts
There wont be any, you will probably have to drain the coolant and remove both main pipes from the middle of the block and you will have access from the top.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts