McLaren Life banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
The exact cause. I would take the 2 old parts to a Metallurgist and find if it was a shock breakage or wear

2012 MP4-12C
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The exact cause. I would take the 2 old parts to a Metallurgist and find if it was a shock breakage or wear
Owner has the parts, out of our hands. At the end of the day, does it matter? It broke, it's extremely rare (perhaps first ever?), and it's now fixed. Why dump more money into something that isn't a problem?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Owner has the parts, out of our hands. At the end of the day, does it matter? It broke, it's extremely rare (perhaps first ever?), and it's now fixed. Why dump more money into something that isn't a problem?
"The Internet" would be interested to know.

Do you know if the owner get all their ESC premium refunded? This sort of thing doesn't make McLaren look good. I'm really pleased that the owner had McMedics to call on.

2012 MP4-12C
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

Do you know if the owner get all their ESC premium refunded? This sort of thing doesn't make McLaren look good. I'm really pleased that the owner had McMedics to call on.
It's a freak thing, if people talked about the Lamborghini and Ferrari failures it wouldn't look good for them either. Mentioning anything short of perfection looks bad in the eyes of the internet. As far as the premium being refunded, I don't know, I only know that policy got cancelled.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Of course it matters this is how the rest of us can learn to avoid it, fyi this isnt the first time it has happened either, have a brief search and you will see.

2012 MP4-12C
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Of course it matters this is how the rest of us can learn to avoid it, fyi this isnt the first time it has happened either, have a brief search and you will see.
I did a search and came up empty. I believe the arm broke because the cast was faulty, to prevent this you never start the car ever again.

Reactions: Anthony D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I did a search and came up empty. I believe the arm broke because the cast was faulty, to prevent this you never start the car ever again.
Ok let me help with that.

Haha, funny Sean, to me it looks like wear getting to the point of brittle which would make sense considering the exact point of failure on the rocker.

2012 MP4-12C
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ok let me help with that.

Haha, funny Sean, to me it looks like wear getting to the point of brittle which would make sense considering the exact point of failure on the rocker.
I think you're misunderstanding what the issue was in this case. What you cited was worn rockers, and in one of the links showed a broken one that was severely worn. What we saw in this engine was not wear. All of them looked fine, and the lobe to the broken one had less wear than the rest of the lobes. Wear was not an issue on any of them, it simply broke.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think you're misunderstanding what the issue was in this case. What you cited was worn rockers, and in one of the links showed a broken one that was severely worn. What we saw in this engine was not wear. All of them looked fine, and the lobe to the broken one had less wear than the rest of the lobes. Wear was not an issue on any of them, it simply broke.
:(

·
Registered
554 Posts
Something has popped into my mind about this actually, so the s54 that is used in the e46 m3 has a very similar valve train to the mclarens, the valve clearances needed adjusting with shims, for some reason on the mclaren this isnt needed. Could it be that the shim was warn so much the distance between the rocker and shim could have increased so that the follower was taking more of a beating?

If someone knows about the no need for shim changes to adjust valve clearances on the M8T engine that would be good.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ok but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. What i wana know is what happens when they wear then

2012 MP4-12C
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Ok but that doesnt mean it shouldnt be done. What i wana know is what happens when they wear then
They probably don't wear the same. I'm guessing that's the case based on BMW's history of valve guide seal issues.

·
Registered
554 Posts
which brings up the question of how is the valve lash taken up on the 838 engines?
Exactly, also my S54 engine was driven HARD and i mean HARD, 8k rpms daily from 1st gear. Zero valve train issues with 120k miles. to be fair, the shims are probably 3x the thickness of the S54 engine, even after many miles.... So it might not even be an issue and those shims are HARD like you would never believe

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Exactly, also my S54 engine was driven HARD and i mean HARD, 8k rpms daily from 1st gear. Zero valve train issues with 120k miles. to be fair, the shims are probably 3x the thickness of the S54 engine, even after many miles.... So it might not even be an issue and those shims are HARD like you would never believe
you're saying mac uses shims to adjust lash? if so,where are they located? didn't see anything in maintenance list relating to valve adjustment periods afaik.
lash change in most engines doesn't come from valve train wear, it comes from valves and/or seat recessing,stem elongating etc..

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
306 Posts
Skip to 29.50 of the original video. I think those will be the four shims from the removed rocker assembly.

32:40 you can see that it sits between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

I'm assuming McLaren will have some specs on clearances when cold for those parts and possibly have a few sizes available in their parts catalogue.

Reactions: restosud

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Skip to 29.50 of the original video. I think those will be the four shims from the removed rocker assembly.

32:40 you can see that it sits between the valve stem and the rocker arm.

I'm assuming McLaren will have some specs on clearances when cold for those parts and possibly have a few sizes available in their parts catalogue.
will look at video. thanks

·
Super Moderator
“I’m a Tuner”
1,296 Posts
Sean and I are at it AGAIN.... 😎

Kevin P
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Registered
113 Posts

I canceled the 3rd party policy (not McL warranty) and got the balance refunded. I have the parts but don't have a metallurgist on speed dial. I've been meaning to write a review but I've been too busy enjoying the car daily. I'll get to it soon enough, for "the Internet's sake" :)

61 - 80 of 85 Posts