McLaren Life banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK guys, Blaine and I have talked and the charge will be removed. I do want to learn a little more about the mechanicals of what happened though.
We had a conversation about how things get a life of their own with online discussions. I wanted to know if anyone else has had a wheel liner come loose and the floodgate of drubbing McLaren opened up. Having these cars in our garages has been a great life experience, and that store in Charlotte is a cut above any I have seen. I’m not just saying that because the fee was dropped. I wish I lived closer than 2 hours away and could just visit the place. Very different experiece from other high end dealerships I have seen.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
493 Posts
Reading all this, I appreciate the input from so many of you. Has anyone else has had the same issue, fender liners coming loose? I wanted to say coming free but...

I want to be clear that I have enjoyed working with McCharlotte with two of the finest cars I will ever drive. I just wanted some other opinions before going to bat with them tomorrow.
If you're referring to this rubber part behind the tire well then yes I had this problem a few months after taking ownership of my spider. The dealer tried to fix it with cheap double sided tape but it came loose almost immediately.

I lived with it for awhile but I had them address it again when my car was in the shop recently for other issues. Supposedly they have ordered a replacement part and it will be covered under warranty.

As others have said it is not a wear and tear item. It was poorly attached and should be covered. I would discuss it with your dealer and escalate it if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
To be even having this situation be debateable is pretty dissapointing.
Price to play on having an "exotic" Seems like lambo is prob the most structured between Ferrari/Mclaren/Lambo....but thats where the relationship comes in. Sometimes a text to the sales department can get something pushed through instead of the service advisor etc.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
OK guys, Blaine and I have talked and the charge will be removed. I do want to learn a little more about the mechanicals of what happened though.
We had a conversation about how things get a life of their own with online discussions. I wanted to know if anyone else has had a wheel liner come loose and the floodgate of drubbing McLaren opened up. Having these cars in our garages has been a great life experience, and that store in Charlotte is a cut above any I have seen. I’m not just saying that because the fee was dropped. I wish I lived closer than 2 hours away and could just visit the place. Very different experiece from other high end dealerships I have seen.
Yup crazy, One phone call prior to posting this thread any maybe a whole different outcome in the chat.
Good thing it was fixed, hopefully without too much teeth pulling.

·
Registered
259 Posts

Good to hear.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Really unfortunate and a stain on the brand. Mclaren should have fixed this for no charge. Yeah it’s a couple hundred bucks but that is not the point. Sorry op- this is the one recurring theme for mclaren that is preventing them from being a top notch company. Their customer service needs to improve dramatically.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If I had it to do over I would have gone to Blaine, who worked with me on two cars so far, before posting. My intention was to see if this was a “known issue” and maybe learn more about it technically. Sounds like Gqa had something similar. I would have posted pics but don’t have the car right now.

What happens though is an invite to the broad community to post about all sort of grieviencies. I wish I knew more technically about what was involved, but both sides coming loose as “wear and tear” just seemed wrong.

Reactions: rnixon

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
He’s my contact at McLaren Charlotte. He reached out to me last night when he caught wind I had a concern.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Defo should have been fixed under warranty. This is a dealer error.

Just had mine in for first service and they dealt with the following all under warranty. Replaced drivers door rubber seal, fixed the trunk seal, replaced the front suspension drop link bushes (worn after 3,500 miles WTF) and they raised the drivers seat 1 notch as i do not like sitting low.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Defo should have been fixed under warranty. This is a dealer error.

Just had mine in for first service and they dealt with the following all under warranty. Replaced drivers door rubber seal, fixed the trunk seal, replaced the front suspension drop link bushes (worn after 3,500 miles WTF) and they raised the drivers seat 1 notch as i do not like sitting low.

well good thing they did a proper inspection to see the bushings were worn.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
i'll beat @unmac to it!
did you buy your car new? from servicing dealer? did you pay at least full or over msrp? did you get on your knees before ,during or after being allowed to own this car? did you change the tire's air pressure? was radio tuned to the same radio station as when vehicle was delivered ? etc...
but no,this definitely should be a warranty item, no matter the provenance of car!
lmao love it you know he woulda said that

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Told a car pal at the racquet club this morning about the fender thing. His response “What an insult to only charge me $390! Who do you think I am? As a two time McLaren owner I expect and deserve to pay at least $5000 every time it’s touched!!!”

Told him I would come to him first next time I had an issue.

Reactions: RBH

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

I am 400 miles away from them with another dealer around the corner and I prefer to use Charlotte. They are at another level compared to my local dealer.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We have the car back now, the repair seems good but we are waiting for decent weather about Tuesday to take it out. Been a while.

I thanked Kyle, the service manager at Charlotte and told him I really liked the cleanup of the car. I mentioned the tire dressing being a nice tone, clean looking but not too glossy. Kyle sent us about a half gallon of it and an applicator bottle and pad. Not had a chance to use it yet, still below freezing every night. But much appreciated.

Reactions: RBH and Capsfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Exhilr8n, you are a classy kind of guy and the type of customer that any dealer would be glad to have. You turned a difficult situation into a positive and one hopefully the dealer learned something from.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Wow, very nice of you to say this.

Mom told me “Don’t burn any bridges”. You may need each other later.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Exhilr8n, you are a classy kind of guy and the type of customer that any dealer would be glad to have. You turned a difficult situation into a positive and one hopefully the dealer learned something from.
I don't agree. He tried cancelling his dealer over $390 and pouted on a car forum about it trying to make his dealer look bad. He would've been cancelled by other owners in real life if he complained about this (and that is putting it mildly).

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I don't agree. He tried cancelling his dealer over $390 and pouted on a car forum about it trying to make his dealer look bad. He would've been cancelled by other owners in real life if he complained about this (and that is putting it mildly).
With all due respect to a more senior member here, I did say in post 27 that if I were to do it all over I would have contacted my dealer first thing when I was not sure of the appropriateness of the charges. You’re right, only a few hundred dollars not enough to pout over. Especially on a public forum. Gee, posting in all capitals was not too smooth either.

I’m not sure what “cancelling“ means in this context. Ostacization?

But I do feel we are all good going forward, and quite looking forward to warmer weather tomorrow and getting back on the road again..

Reactions: taw6189
21 - 40 of 40 Posts