McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had our 2020 720S Spider in for first annual maintenance at McLaren Charlotte Amazing car, amazing experience. 3020 miles, all good except for the bothersome window drop, and the plastic pieces on the fender behind the front wheels had been loose since we got the car. But 2 hours from dealer we waited to have it taken car of.
Got the call today that it was ready to be picked up, but that the repair was for loose wheel well liners for $390, no warranty coverage as it was due to “normal wear and tear”.
Well I’m surprised, quite irritated. Not a lot of money but still. Seems a factory trim part that falls off a new car might be considered a warranty issue. If not, what is?
Anyone have experience or opinion on this?

·
Registered
931 Posts
i'll beat @unmac to it!
did you buy your car new? from servicing dealer? did you pay at least full or over msrp? did you get on your knees before ,during or after being allowed to own this car? did you change the tire's air pressure? was radio tuned to the same radio station as when vehicle was delivered ? etc...
but no,this definitely should be a warranty item, no matter the provenance of car!

·
Registered
37 Posts
"Normal wear and tear" for a 2020, 3020 miles machine. Really,..... $390 today, $3,900 next time,..... where does it stop

McLaren, WAKE UP and treat your customers the way other car companies do!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just had our 2020 720S Spider in for first annual maintenance at McLaren Charlotte Amazing car, amazing experience. 3020 miles, all good except for the bothersome window drop, and the plastic pieces on the fender behind the front wheels had been loose since we got the car. But 2 hours from dealer we waited to have it taken car of.
Got the call today that it was ready to be picked up, but that the repair was for loose wheel well liners for $390, no warranty coverage as it was due to “normal wear and tear”.
Well I’m surprised, quite irritated. Not a lot of money but still. Seems a factory trim part that falls off a new car might be considered a warranty issue. If not, what is?
Anyone have experience or opinion on this?

View attachment 209003
Did Mclaren Charlotte not inform you beforehand that the job will not be done under warranty? I dont see any resolutions here since it is all said and done, just seems very unfortunate they didnt do it under warranty.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We had a nice Lexus LC500. That NA 5.0 V8 had remarkably sound, sophisticated vehicle, unique style. Had a fuel pump fail, turned out much later a big recall for many of their cars.

Anyway, I called and there was a truck picking it up in one hour, an hour later dealership called that it had arrived to dealer an hour away. An hour later a call that the problem was diagnosed, would get the new fuel pump the next morning. Car was back to my office the next day. No fee whatsoever.

Rest of story, we traded the LC for a 570S Spider at Charlotte, then the 570 for the 720.

Reactions: taw6189 and rnixon

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did Mclaren Charlotte not inform you beforehand that the job will not be done under warranty? I dont see any resolutions here since it is all said and done, just seems very unfortunate they didnt do it under warranty.
No, initially they said they found no problem. I described it over the phone, loose black plastic. Then the call today. Maybe I’m making more of this than it’s worth but just very surprising. Were I the dealer, I would have apologized that the pieces came loose.

Reactions: taw6189 and rnixon

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great warranty. It covers everything until it breaks. Then it is not covered. That is outrageous and the dealer should be ashamed.
It is this type of service that will lead to ultimate loss of customer base regardless of how great the cars perform. Just too many great brand choices to tolerate this attitude.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
to be fair to mclaren, this is probably an error on the dealer's end.
OP should contact dealer again and ask for an explanation.
Sounds reasonable. Then escalate to McLaren NA, who I would expect to refund the charge pretty quickly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a silver trim peice come lose on my range rover with 50k miles on it and it was replaced with a new one under warranty no questions asked. This mclaren dealer is out to lunch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed, seems like a dealer issue & not a denial of warranty through the manufacturer.
I bet if they pushed for it, it would have been covered. Unfortunate that they didn't at least try for their client.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i'll beat @unmac to it!
did you buy your car new? from servicing dealer? did you pay at least full or over msrp? did you get on your knees before ,during or after being allowed to own this car? did you change the tire's air pressure? was radio tuned to the same radio station as when vehicle was delivered ? etc...
but no,this definitely should be a warranty item, no matter the provenance of car!

yea becuase according to him, getting your car fixed is akin to where you buy car your car from. One guy has had his car down for two months, and no loaner, and he said "it matters where you buy your car from"

I hope OP raises a stink about this. pretty ridiculous.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading all this, I appreciate the input from so many of you. Has anyone else has had the same issue, fender liners coming loose? I wanted to say coming free but...

I want to be clear that I have enjoyed working with McCharlotte with two of the finest cars I will ever drive. I just wanted some other opinions before going to bat with them tomorrow.

Reactions: taw6189

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Reading all this, I appreciate the input from so many of you. Has anyone else has had the same issue, fender liners coming loose? I wanted to say coming free but...

I want to be clear that I have enjoyed working with McCharlotte with two of the finest cars I will ever drive. I just wanted some other opinions before going to bat with them tomorrow.
not the liners. But I’ve had rubber trim that needed to be re-glued. But dealer just said defective part ordered new trim. Covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
yea becuase according to him, getting your car fixed is akin to where you buy car your car from. One guy has had his car down for two months, and no loaner, and he said "it matters where you buy your car from"

I hope OP raises a stink about this. pretty ridiculous.
It shouldn’t matter because a car with factory warranty is the same at any franchise with the mclaren logo. We all get that. But I can tell you it does matter. How the dealer goes to bat for you or not saves a lot of grief and headache. Maybe not all dealers play this “game” but some do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It shouldn’t matter because a car with factory warranty is the same at any franchise with the mclaren logo. We all get that. But I can tell you it does matter. How the dealer goes to bat for you or not saves a lot of grief and headache. Maybe not all dealers play this “game” but some do.

To be even having this situation be debateable is pretty dissapointing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts