McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts
I wish there was an aftermarket alternative that is more resilient to leaks. Hope someone can make them since it seems like we are all going to be replacing our accumulators multiple times if we hold on to these cars for a few more years (since extended service contracts exclude them).

I heard the 765 accumulators are redesigned and the Senna accumulators are carbon fiber. I wonder if either can be used on a 720?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish there was an aftermarket alternative that is more resilient to leaks. Hope someone can make them since it seems like we are all going to be replacing our accumulators multiple times if we hold on to these cars for a few more years (since extended service contracts exclude them).

I heard the 765 accumulators are redesigned and the Senna accumulators are carbon fiber. I wonder if either can be used on a 720?
I know! i think 765 uses senna's accumulator but thats the whole shock assembly..not a direct retrofit on 720s..

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts
I know! i think 765 uses senna's accumulator but thats the whole shock assembly..not a direct retrofit on 720s..
From my discussions with my dealer, the good news is, if you pay the $3500 to replace all 4 out of warranty, they should be covered for 2 yrs under the parts warranty. So if they fail again within 2 yrs, you should be covered.

The bad news is they are backordered so you will have a wait a while before getting them in.

The other bad news is, if they are replaced at no cost to you under the OEM 3-yr warranty, you will need to pay for them when they fail again once that OEM warranty expires even if you purchase the extended service contract (since accumulators are excluded in the policy document)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the car still drivable if the accumulators are not functioning? I am thinking - if it is just a matter of time that the accumulators will fail, I may as well buy a couple as an insurance when it is back in stock (i.e., the car is not drivable if and when the accumulators fail).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Car is still drivable with bad accumulators. Ride is rough like being on track setting and steering will likely be jerky with short spurts of no steering assistance .
PCC degraded message will pop up.
The pump will run pretty much all of the time which is not ideal for longevity.
Better to limit usage IMO.
Not sure the accumulators from 765 and senna will work on 720. It’s my belief that running pressures are higher .

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Car is still drivable with bad accumulators. Ride is rough like being on track setting and steering will likely be jerky with short spurts of no steering assistance .
PCC degraded message will pop up.
The pump will run pretty much all of the time which is not ideal for longevity.
Better to limit usage IMO.
Not sure the accumulators from 765 and senna will work on 720. It’s my belief that running pressures are higher .
i had two that just got replaced under warranty... you can feel the difference when they go. steering awful... alot of slack. suspension feels like you are riding on a wooden roller coaster... not a fun drive. the issue is even if you replace, they replace with the same part, not a new/updated version like guerrilla glass... so they can keep going bad. sucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had two that just got replaced under warranty... you can feel the difference when they go. steering awful... alot of slack. suspension feels like you are riding on a wooden roller coaster... not a fun drive. the issue is even if you replace, they replace with the same part, not a new/updated version like guerrilla glass... so they can keep going bad. sucks.
i dont think there is an updated version for 720s yet. i could be wrong. the ones on 765 is the same on senna but can not be retro fit onto 720s

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the car still drivable if the accumulators are not functioning? I am thinking - if it is just a matter of time that the accumulators will fail, I may as well buy a couple as an insurance when it is back in stock (i.e., the car is not drivable if and when the accumulators fail).
depends on how bad is your accumulator. i am told it can damage your shock if it is completely out of pressure, mine was very minor and started to get worse recently

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
it's a bit of a crapshoot. some last ,some don't. stocking them is probably not a good idea as the rubber membrane will probably dry out if kept on the shelf long enough.

the 3500 includes labor. 4 accus are about $1k or a bit more.

it is possible that they may be the same as other marques,but the main question is the nitrogen pressure mac uses.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i want to email the north american mlcaren contact guy... can someone send me his email?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine gave out just days after my warranty expired. They are clearly defective but McLaren hides from their design mistakes due, no doubt, to their financial distress. I guess this is one of the prices we pay for owning an exotic British marque.

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,700 Posts
Yeah, apparently it's a diaphragm within the accumulator that breaks and leaks. I hear all cars with PCC suspension eventually have this issue (12C, 650, 675, 720, 765, Senna, etc). The PCC suspension is amazing but these diaphragms do not stand the test of time. Extended warranty considers them a consumable wear item like tires or windshield wiper blades, and hence, they are not covered.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts