McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Yes, I did a search. Came up empty.

Is there any truth that the factory had issues with the Volcano colors (or any of the paints at all)? To the point that they had to repaint the cars. If so, what were the issues, and how exactly were they resolved?

T.I A.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Hey guys,

Yes, I did a search. Came up empty.

Is there any truth that the factory had issues with the Volcano colors (or any of the paints at all)? To the point that they had to repaint the cars. If so, what were the issues, and how exactly were they resolved?

T.I A.

The early cars rear 3/4 light glass was not fitted correctly and scuffed the paint off the rear wings. This required repainting. The problem is now solved.

Some early cars required paint rectification in localised areas. These issues have now been largely eliminated.

Recently Mclaren changed paint supplier and, as a consequence, find it easier to get better consistency of colour.......I have been told by a man who knows!

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the time most cars ended up on US Soil, most of the paint issues were already resolved. Remember the first around 500 cars did not make it to the US. So paint issues primarily hit europe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The early cars rear 3/4 light glass was not fitted correctly and scuffed the paint off the rear wings. This required repainting. The problem is now solved.

Some early cars required paint rectification in localised areas. These issues have now been largely eliminated.

Recently Mclaren changed paint supplier and, as a consequence, find it easier to get better consistency of colour.......I have been told by a man who knows!
What exactly do you mean by the highlighted statement above? Are you referring to the surrounding area around the glass just above the turning vanes?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mac attack, take a look at the photo attached which shows the issue refered to. This is the area just behind the rear quarterlight.. There is huge thermal expansion around this area and the bodywork and seal expanded at different rates causing the paint to "ripple". I believe softer seals were specified as the fix but I've had the issue re-appear even after the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Mac attack, take a look at the photo attached which shows the issue refered to. This is the area just behind the rear quarterlight.. There is huge thermal expansion around this area and the bodywork and seal expanded at different rates causing the paint to "ripple". I believe softer seals were specified as the fix but I've had the issue re-appear even after the fix.
My car suffered with this until the permanent fix which was explained as a glass fit issue.

It is now cured.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly the area I was hoping one would verify Jerry. Thank you! So I had a shop wrap my roof and pillars matte black. When they pulled the molding around this glass, they saw the peeling / flaking issues. Therefore they did not feel comfortable tucking the wrap underneath the molding in fear that if the wrap were ever to be taken off, that it would pull the paint of with it. Wondering if there's a chance mine was never repaired. Definitely doesn't look right under that molding....
My car suffered with this until the permanent fix which was explained as a glass fit issue.

It is now cured.
roundcircles, what exactly was the permanent fix, and when was it done. Pre or post delivery?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
After 14 months and nearly 12000 miles in hot ole Texas, my VO is just starting with the side window flaking thing. Hopefully this will be a warranty fix

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
roundcircles, what exactly was the permanent fix, and when was it done. Pre or post delivery?
The glass and surround are refitted ' to the correct specification'. This was completed earlier this year after two resprays and the problem is now solved. It is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The glass and surround are refitted ' to the correct specification'. This was completed earlier this year after two resprays and the problem is now solved. It is a warranty issue.
Yikes.... resprays huh?!? How did they manage that and and to blend the paint? Not sure what color your car is, but would imagine the Volcano colors would be quite difficult!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
VR. They simply have to paint a panel. No problem and it looks good.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
After 14 months and nearly 12000 miles in hot ole Texas, my VO is just starting with the side window flaking thing. Hopefully this will be a warranty fix
Park Place confirmed mine is under warranty, and a spot where the front fender and bumper meet that is doing the same thing. Also paint coming off the exhaust exits. They also logged the hazy headlights. I'm waiting until my scheduled service in December. So long as they have it documented I figure they can't deny it for warrant expiration, etc. no since in taking it out of service for a month now during prime driving time, I'll let them have it for the lovely month of January/February when I won't miss it. Also since its going in for warranty work they pick up the transportation....I'm such a cheap ass sometimes! :D:p

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The other side rear quarter
Exactly how mine is. Now try pulling the bottom window molding up just a bit. It gets even uglier underneath there. Taking it to the dealer on Monday for this, and the clouding / hazing issues on the inside of the front headlights.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Yes the guys at Pfaff had mentioned that there was a bulletin pertaining to this sort of issue. Yet it only involves models that were produced in 2011 and the early part of 2012. Cheers....??

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
8/2011, built in the MTC! I'm so happy to be able to say that. If they have to respray the whole car, so long as I don't have to pay for it, I'm happy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts