McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year, I've been battling a serious vibration at speeds between 80 and 120 MPH. We've changed tires, wheels, pads,rotors, even calipers, to no avail. I'm at my wit's end, honestly, with McLaren. I've kept quiet here because I love my car otherwise, but it's becoming undriveable due to the vibration in the steering. At cruising speeds of 80-85 it's highly irritating, and I find myself lusting for the comfort of my Porsche instead of hassling with the 12C.

It's been in and out of the shop 5-6 times in the past year, attempting to deal with it. Now I'm due for my 20K service, and the $4K bill that goes with that, and I find myself frustrated with paying for a car that isn't even working at its most basic.

My next step is to email/call McLaren directly, instead of exclusively dealing with McLarenSF. Which is the other issue, I really like the guys at McLarenSF. I honestly believe they're doing their best. It just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I got to say, your frustration is totally warranted. I would send the letter. And I would reach out to the higher ups. They should make this right. No way in the world this should not be taken care of. If they can't figure it out, they should swap for a car that works.

I forget who, but someone here had a similar situation where McLaren tried a bunch of things, but ended up swapping the car out. I don't think that's a norm, but when the car isn't whole, and you've gone huge bits of time without your car, something needs to be escalated.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone know who to ping at McLaren North America or McLaren Corporate? Shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Porsche once. Changed everything including the tyres and eventually found the new Pirellis were also out of round. Switched to Yokohamas and it was fixed instantly. I've had plenty of Pirellis since without any issues - just a freak coincidence it seems. Anyway, I feel your pain, OP.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just curious - was this a problem right out of the box, or did it develop after x-miles driven?

For the past year, I've been battling a serious vibration at speeds between 80 and 120 MPH. We've changed tires, wheels, pads,rotors, even calipers, to no avail. I'm at my wit's end, honestly, with McLaren. I've kept quiet here because I love my car otherwise, but it's becoming undriveable due to the vibration in the steering. At cruising speeds of 80-85 it's highly irritating, and I find myself lusting for the comfort of my Porsche instead of hassling with the 12C.

It's been in and out of the shop 5-6 times in the past year, attempting to deal with it. Now I'm due for my 20K service, and the $4K bill that goes with that, and I find myself frustrated with paying for a car that isn't even working at its most basic.

My next step is to email/call McLaren directly, instead of exclusively dealing with McLarenSF. Which is the other issue, I really like the guys at McLarenSF. I honestly believe they're doing their best. It just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have a bit of an annoying wobble from the fronts (through steering wheel) at about the same speed.
I've recently had the front tyres changed but not been out for a spirited drive since, will report back on it, slightly quicker or slower and it was fine.. :confused:

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I have a bit of an annoying wobble from the fronts (through steering wheel) at about the same speed.
I've recently had the front tyres changed but not been out for a spirited drive since, will report back on it, slightly quicker or slower and it was fine.. :confused:
Mine were the same after Donington Gary,they had shed so much rubber they were out of balance by quite away,were they doing the same at the ring??

·
Registered
964 Posts
At the ring- I'll be honest and say if they had been wobbling I wouldn't of noticed!! :eek:- unless it ended like the Black 458!!
Hanging on too much... :D
But Yes at 90mph there was a wobble, could have been a wheel mis-balance quite easily.

I have a long M6 run planned for the end of the month, so will see what comes of it..

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
At the ring- I'll be honest and say if they had been wobbling I wouldn't of noticed!! :eek:- unless it ended like the Black 458!!
Hanging on too much... :D
But Yes at 90mph there was a wobble, could have been a wheel mis-balance quite easily.

I have a long M6 run planned for the end of the month, so will see what comes of it..
I didn't notice them at Donington (apart from when I got pickup) It was a week later and they were massively out of balance,with no loss of the lead weights and the tyres had done 5k,so it could only have been the loss or movement of the hot rubber I think ??

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We have now replaced all four wheels and tires, as well as rotors and pads. Still have the issue. Vibration can be so bad as to unclasp my watch...

So frustrating. McLaren Corporate/International has been brought up to speed, but no solutions yet. Moving from frustrated to pissed.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
We have now replaced all four wheels and tires, as well as rotors and pads. Still have the issue. Vibration can be so bad as to unclasp my watch...

So frustrating. McLaren Corporate/International has been brought up to speed, but no solutions yet. Moving from frustrated to pissed.
So it has to be between the wheels and the tub ?? Have they checked the fixing embedded in the CF?

·
Premium Member
992 Posts

HyperMac: Have you checked the steering rack? If you have made all these replacements I would check the rack and all the embedded connections as andy C suggest. I am assuming you have already checked all the ball joints and tie rod ends? You do believe this is a front end issue?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DLC, all that has been checked and/or replaced. I originally assumed it was a loose fitting in the steering shaft, since you can ONLY feel the vibration through the steering wheel. If you were in the passenger seat, you'd have no idea. I am of the opinion now that it is likely a mounting point at the tub, which would unfortunately mean the car is pretty much a total loss (there is a California lemon law which I am loathe to use, but will if I have to)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've had a similar issue develop recently - wobble felt through the steering wheel above 85 mph. I have 11K miles on the car/tires. Now that I have read this thread and know I am not alone I will definitely report it to McLaren SF.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My car developed wobble from the front and rear. Turned out one front and one rear wheel had been buckled..........probably hitting a pothole.......the front was marginal but enough to cause shake at 120mph plus whilst the rear was so badly buckled the shake could be felt clearly from the rear at 100 mph plus.

So eliminate the wheels, which are very soft/weak structures, from being buckled.

New wheels whilst the old ones are refurbished eliminated the problem ( don't ask! )

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RIC, wish that were it - but replaced the wheels all around, trying to isolate the issue. Not wheels or tires (or rotors).

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another member here pointed me to that McDc, and there's one not too far away, but I suspect at this point that it is indeed in the linkage between carbon tub and suspension bits, and if so, it's toast anyways.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very unfortunate, this. Surely must be in the steering if undetectable to the passenger. If this was in the UK, then the car should be sent back to the factory for thorough investigation. I reckon you should request this and a replacement-loan car meantime.
somehow loan advertising was added to the word loan as a hyperlink. I did not do this, and had to edit the post to remove it. Surely this should not be permitted on this site

1 - 20 of 104 Posts