McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first, I was irritated that Vettel passed Weber in Malaysia when Red Bull had the race and two podiums entirely in hand. But then I realized what had really happened: Horner was telling a great racer not to race. That's like telling my cat not to kill mice and bring them home. It's counter to his DNA.

Vettel knew that he could pass Weber against team orders and no one could do anything about it. What are Red Bull going to do? Fire him? Fine him? Tell his Mommy?

If the situation arises again, he'll do it again. More likely, Horner will keep mum to avoid the confrontation that he cannot win.

I'm not sure I like it, but it is reality.

You fellows on this forum always have interesting insights (especially when you disagree with me). I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this one.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
It has done more damage to his reputation than those extra 7 points will benefit him, I hope.

Both sets of drivers at the front were being told not to race towards the end - the blame for this goes in several places and is the most unfortunate part of F1 these days. The real problem though, is that one driver placed his own ambitions beyond that of the team and it is first and foremost a team sport. He is an employee of the team and should have respected the decisions being made on the pitwall. By blazing his own trail past Webber he not only put both cars at risk at that moment, but also could have compromised the ability for both cars to finish 1/2. It was a very bad move.

I'd like to see Horner put the 3rd driver in Seb's car for the race in China - that might teach him the lesson he needs to learn - but that will never happen.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
152 Posts
Webber dialed the engine back and left a bit of a window. Vettel disobeyed team orders and started a dog fight as was very close to causing damage to either or both cars. Trust was compromised all round and Webber is totally pissed off with Vettel (again).
Think Vettel will get a fine this time.
Still, it did make for good TV.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Vettel has acquired maximum points to his number one goal, WIN the World F1 championship. What's the consequence ?

1. Any support he had from Weber has surely evaporated, sometimes the second runner when he knows he is off the team mates pace can hold up the cars, or slow the pace, of cars behind. As the season progresses team orders become less of an issue if one driver has a significant lead.

2. He may have divided the Red Bull garage/team..........and that can cost as the season progresses.

3. His reputation is tarnished in the 'play it fair' community but enhanced in the 'this is a race to win' community. Really after Schumacher cheated to win a World championship F1 lost credibility. This incident is minor by comparison.

4. Horner knows he has little control once the race is in progress. He is pleased he has this problem particularly as both drivers are capable of winning. They are racers.

5. Vettel's apology at least indicates he understands the issue.........can you imagine Alonso or Schumacher uttering an apology ?

6. Bernie E will likely send Vettel a good bottle of wine with a thank you note, keep up the good work, the TV advertisers love you!

I do think Vettel got it wrong but he and Weber will sort it out on the track...........expect some lost points following retirements at first corners, braking inconsistency when tailgating, pit crew ballsups a la Mclaren .

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Vettel has acquired maximum points to his number one goal, WIN the World F1 championship. What's the consequence ?

1. Any support he had from Weber has surely be evaporated, sometimes the second runner when he knows he is off the team mates pace can hold up the cars, or slow the pace, of cars behind. As the season progresses team orders become less of an issue if one driver has a significant lead.

2. He may have divided the Red Bull garage/team..........and that can cost as the season progresses.

3. His reputation is tarnished in the 'play it fair' community but enhanced in the 'this is a race to win' community. Really after Schumacher cheated to win a World championship F1 lost credibility. This incident is minor by comparison.

4. Horner knows he has little control once the race is in progress. He is pleased he has this problem particularly as both drivers are capable of winning. They are racers.

5. Vettel's apology at least indicates he understands the issue.........can you imagine Alonso or Schumacher uttering an apology ?

6. Bernie E will likely send Vettel a good bottle of wine with a thank you note, keep up the good work, the TV advertisers love you!

I do think Vettel got it wrong but he and Weber will sort it out on the track...........expect some lost points following retirements at first corners, braking inconsistency when tailgating, pit crew ballsups a la Mclaren .
very well put,

In my opinion, its the sportman-ship behind it, a lot of respect has been given to the Mercedes team this weekend, from Nico listening to the team and Lewis saying it should had been Nico's win, this is all priceless sportman-ship and gained lots of respect from fans of the sport.

Like David Coulthard says, the team provides them with the cars, pays their wages, give them everything they would need, so a little respect would had done nicely, I understand Vettel's intention to be winner, but with his actions this weekend, its really tarnished him. Great driving by all means but could had ended worse..

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I must admit I love it when competition is tight and these team mates go out and compete against one another. Wasn't impressed with the fact that Rosberg was held back he should have passed Hamilton, I'm sure if Lewis was in Nico's shoes he wouldn't have held back. Oh well the joys of F1 and all of the hoopla that goes along with it. Yeeeee Haaaaaaa

·
Registered
261 Posts
Adds to the enjoyment.

Difficult to go against the essence of victory that a racer is built upon.
A thin line of team orders might not be able to prevent a racer from crossing into that line.

I think Ham will prove his grit.
A third place season finish will be quite a remarkable achievement with a P1 expected team.

·
Administrator
2,696 Posts
In 2 months the only one who will remember this is Webber.

Vettel will get away with it unpunished (personally I would put him back in a Toro Rosso for a race and make him wear a helmet with "Webber was faster" on it).

Payback will be a bitch though and Webber will return the favor.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
This was Vettel in his formative years. There is a clue here that Weber should heed!

Attachments

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
RedBull will add a new sticker to Sebastien's car for the Chinese GP:

>8^D
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
This is a link to an interview with Vettel on the F1 website:

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2013/3/14418.html

I've read many of these. Vettel's is singular. It conveys the least information of any of I've ever read. He is self absorbed to a level I have never before seen.
So GeorgeSSS I guess things have finally started to settle in and now the true colours of Sebastien have come to rear their not so ugly face. If I was in his shoes, I'd probably be the same everyone loves to win. Those are the signs of a true champion, "or not" no matter how we feel about Vettel he will still prevail. Cheers....??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts