McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
That's an expression of shock, quickly followed by a healthy dose of disappointment *Bark*

I guess its system/software related problem that would need a reset of sorts. Having said that, trying to take video while its still wet? Clearly the McLaren had other ideas!

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's an expression of shock, quickly followed by a healthy dose of disappointment *Bark*

I guess its system/software related problem that would need a reset of sorts. Having said that, trying to take video while its still wet? Clearly the McLaren had other ideas!

so im cruising in the middle of the CA desert when I get this same: vehicle limphome error, go to mclaren center and something about transmission fault.
tried to downshift from 4th, went to second instead of third so i kept it there and drove to a place to have lunch. an hour later started it and was back to normal, no error codes stored and nothing wrong with the transmission or shifting during the long trip back home.
this car wanted to give me a heart attack in the middle of nowhere, what the heck is a vehicle limphome?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Sounds like a self protection system, obviously triggered by a sensor of some sort, so theres always the possibility of a sensor failure.

Sometimes I get one for a low oil pressure on a cold start, alarm bells going off everywhere, above and beyond the calmly serene ding-ding-ding one, more like the car alarm. Yeah, gives me a friggin heart attack.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know it's a mclaren site but I had a similar experience with my GTR in France where my transmission went to limp mode and it turns out it was a transmission sensor and Nissan warrantied the complete tranny. These situations are stressful when you are far from home. I hope this never happens to my 12c!

·
Registered
230 Posts
it wasnt limp mode, i could still go as fast as i want but it wanted to pick the gear it liked and not the one i wanted. looks like it decided to reset itself while i was grabbing lunch. ive also had the low oil pressure alarm extravaganza a couple of times once at a gas station right after a fill up and also reset itself with turning the engine off and back on... crazy car with hypersensitive sensors....

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Sounds like a self protection system, obviously triggered by a sensor of some sort, so theres always the possibility of a sensor failure.

Sometimes I get one for a low oil pressure on a cold start, alarm bells going off everywhere, above and beyond the calmly serene ding-ding-ding one, more like the car alarm. Yeah, gives me a friggin heart attack.
Is this thread code - reminds me of my first wife ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
My car is going into limp home mode so it was picked up yesterday and is back to the service centre.

With mine it is telling me the ESC is faulty so no stability management . The power delivery is cut to that of a Ford Fiesta with a 800cc engine so the driver cannot get the car into trouble but can Limp Home.

If I switch the ignition off and reboot after a couple of minutes it defaults back to normal until the ECU detects the fault again and triggers Limp Home.........this re-trigger is random.

·
Sponsor
1,381 Posts
I had this happen to me on the way back from NJMP after a track day in a customers car.. very annoying, no boost, shifting was weird, i don't think it limited speed though. that was the most boring two hours one could ever spend in a McLaren.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I had this same thing happen with my M3. Luckily I was on my way home, and on backroads leading to my house. As reported above, it happened once, and then never again. I have to say though, as more people are coming forward having had this happen with their McLarens it is a concern knowing my nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away...

-Jamie.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have to say though, as more people are coming forward having had this happen with their McLarens it is a concern knowing my nearest dealer is 3.5 hours away...

-Jamie.
it worries me A LOT as i don't even have a dealer in my country. so far the car has been reliable but i am only approaching 4T km. the only issues i have encountered lately is sometimes the gas latch would not open and it seems that the driver side a/c panel temp readout has gone dim.

anyone experience these things?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
It turns out that my spate of limp homes was caused by the Iris upgrade when taking the dash out disturbed a throttle sensor ( or something like that) .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts