McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not yet been able to work out how to use the Valet mode. The truth is, I often let valets park my car and I want to know how effective the mode is and how it works.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Looks like you put in your own 4 digit code,but how much it disables the car I don't know until I get to a manual.Good thing there is no valet parking north of London,no-where flash enough to go;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have to valet all the time. My biggest concern is can they open the door and will they knock the front air splitters off. Plus, I always ask they keep it up top and close, or park it myself, of course you have to pay for that, but valet is free + tip.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Yep valeted this weekend... Noticed car was still sitting where I left it. I did ask, do you know how to work one of these, after I get the "yes" I ask, you're sure? Regardless I looked down the street after 5 min and the car was still sitting there with the lights on, day time. I went back and found it was still running and they couldn't figure out how to open the door.... They were swiping but not getting it. Needless to say I gave then the quick lesson, they moved it forward about 30 feet and left it there. Went thru this all the time with my Vanquish S.

Funniest was when I took it to the local Porsche dealer for an annual inspection sticker. I figured surely Porsche people would know how to operate F1/paddle shift cars.... Think again.... 3 technicians, 2 service writers and 2 salesmen...... Finally forward movement! None of the techs could figure out the gear box, both service writers and one salesman could not figure out how to release the parking brake.... The last salesman got it. When thy all walked back in I was standing there, I looked at each one of them and then said "embarrassing ain't it? Forget the unprofessional part of it all.... Next time ask before you take chances with a quarter million dollar car....I figured I would avoid these type of issues at the Porsche dealer... Apparently I should have went to the Ferrari dealer instead." You could have heard a pin drop. The car had a sticker on it and back on the drive in about 3 minutes.... I doubt they even inspected it.

Personally I was disappointed, I hoped for better. Tired if transporting cars 100 miles for silly stuff like this, now I understand why I do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I never valet my car.

But to answer your question, the valet mode disables unlocking the baggage compartment & engine glass. It also disables the "Active" button so the car is locked to the relatively slow Normal / Normal mode.

I wish it put in a rev limiter to 3k and a speed limiter to 30 mph. It's clear they could implement this in the software as it already exists for the max speed option on the cruise control.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
I never valet my car.

I wish it put in a rev limiter to 3k and a speed limiter to 30 mph. It's clear they could implement this in the software as it already exists for the max speed option on the cruise control.
I may be thinking of another car but I think you can set a speed alert....kind of the same thing as your idea. In other word I agree with you, I think it's an easy SW / menu item. There is already a limiter function that holds throttle to 2k for checking oil, even with foot on floor.

I really like this idea!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never valet my car.

But to answer your question, the valet mode disables unlocking the baggage compartment & engine glass. It also disables the "Active" button so the car is locked to the relatively slow Normal / Normal mode.

That was actually my question. Disappointed it doesnt limit max speed and boost!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
These stories are amazing. I may be missing something but I have no idea why you guys would let anyone park a car like our 12C's with its wonderful idiosyncrasies. I wouldn't let a 'valet' anywhere near mine.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Valets are insured as is the property owner. Valet lots are secure from general public meaning you likely won't have a beat up suburban park next to you, both doors flung open by kids into the side of your car then kids fingers, purses, diaper bags, baby seats, jacket zippers, etc. drug down the side of your car while they walk by, potentially twice.

Likewise you will not have an a-hole drive to the very back of a parking lot to park 6 inches from your drivers door. Write obscenities on your windows, hood and trunk lids with their fingers, sharpies, lip stick, etc. leave beer bottles on your hood, etc. to prove points I have yet to understand (all above from personal experiences).

In general people are self righteous, jealous, discourteous f.cks with an obscene since of self entitlement over and for other people's property and assets. Cars requiring a bit more access for the doors to open like the 12c, FGT, SLS, etc. force owners, if they wish to avoid retaliation from the general public, to park in the very back away from everyone simply so you can get in and out of your car. However extending common courtesy to the general self entitled public of not taking up 2 parking spots in the preferred parking areas and walking 4 or more rows thru empty spots often is never enough penance for having a super car and inevitably some f.ck will park 6 inches from your driver door out of spite.....

No, I'll take my chances with insured Valets and property owners. They never park a 12c in the back, it's right up front, always. The rock star treatment is kind of fun too, after all you tipped well for it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm very picky about where I go with my 12C and there are only a few valet parking lots that I trust in my area. Usually they know me and allow me to park where I want to which is usually right in front and on top of that they keep an eye on the car for me. I tip them well each time so the peace of mind and parking convenience is well worth it for me. They also usually let me keep the car key too. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The McSales guy showed me the Valet mode when I picked the car up and, like you, I can't remember it for the life of me.

As for actually letting a valet park it - I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I used to have only one certain valet guy ever park my Ferrari and only at THAT certain hotel. Yeah.... I know they're all insured and it's just a car.......but....

Nope.... I can't talk myself into it.

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Disclaiming liability, depending on the state you are in, does not exempt you from liability. Gross negligence is never exempted or excused, liability will always exist in that regard (car damaged while driving is gross negligence if under the control of the driver, ie: you were not hit by someone or something beyond your control. Likewise scratches, dents, etc. are gross negligence for failing to keep safe your vehicle, this is almost foolproof in private/closed valet lots as only the valets have access. What they can disclaim is missing items from inside the car. That can be disclaimed as a condition of the service, ie: car must be empty before services are rendered otherwise cannot be responsible for missing items, example you have a Rolex sitting on the dash and someone breaks a window and takes it, valet cannot be liable for owners gross negligence, stupidity. If the is no vehicle damage the valet will be liable for the lost item, however the burden of proof the item existed is on the owner of the car, open trunk, snap pictures, etc.). A simp,e ounce of prevention that says everything without speaking a word is to, once the valet opens the door, while they watch you, snap a photo of the odometer, then get out.

Again this varies greatly from state to state, consult you attorneys so at least you know the extent of your exposure and where liability starts and stops. If the valet could truly disclaim liability then they could go drag race and wreck your car in front of you and you would have no recourse. That simply isn't the case

It's bad business for them to damage your car but nothing is impossible. In my experience you are better off in valet in crowded public venues. People are simply mean.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
FastZ. Sorry to hear. I've generally just parked far far away from everyone, and try to park where only on person can be next to me. You're right, people still park next to you. Which I don't mind unless it's too close, and there's no reason.

What's worse in NJ, I don't think when that happens folks are doing to make a point, they are just that bad at parking/driving. They want to park next to the pretty car to look at it and are oblivious.

Hoping that your travels bring you only friendlier company. :)

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
The tire on the line guys are not the issue, it's the deliberate actions. I don't know what it is around here but no matter the good or bad parts of town all the same. The beer bottle placed on the hood of the Bentley parked 50 yards from anyone... "A$$hole" wrote with a finger on a slightly dusty Aston parked similar to Bentley that required paint correction to remove the scratches (since then whole car is covered in plastic).... The Sharpie writing of C (heart) H on the rear window of the FGT was classic (parked in a single car spot, curbs on both sides of the car, perfect spot right? Especially for a car who's doors must open to 90 degrees so you don't have to crawl out the back). I simply don't get people and their hand held out, "I'm entitled" mentality. I'm sure if I left a turd on the hood of their Camry..... Oh the outrage!

It's really disappointing, I'm a very unassuming and accommodating person. But either I have not lost faith in humanity or I'm a sucker for punishment because I keep driving them and parking them in public when I have no choice. I too hope for better company ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
i dont know how some of you can valet a special car like the 12C, I never valet any of my nice cars and there is nothing like a 20$ bill to earn you front space parking at any restaurant and keeping the keys with you in 99% of the time. the other 1% of the time i just leave if they insist, im not going to let some kid drive a car like the Mclaren.
if some of you have to frequently use places/bldgs with valet only parking, why not take another car there? i dont get it. i know its just a car, but it is a special car that most of us worked very hard to earn and i cant bring myself to let a stranger even move it a few feet, heck my wife keeps asking me to drive mine and i keep ignoring her....

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
They are never "just cars" IMO. Otherwise we would not worry about dents, scratches or spend upwards of $3k to cover our cars in plastic. Most of the valet experiences are as many describe here (I park & keep the key). If the valet insists on driving it I close the door and say if you can open the door you can drive it.... Hasn't happened yet. Also the places I frequent there is usually a Ferrari or Lambo already sitting in valet - maybe that aids my false since of security. It's all area dependent - I get much more rock star treatment in San Antonio than in Houston or Dallas. Likewise in San Diego super exotics are a dime a dozen, not a rare sight (saw my 1st F40 there in `94, I had wet dreams for a week after that ;) ). I guess its the low latitude I live in - folks call us Texicans for a reason :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts