McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have this? The tech spent 6 hours on my car last week. I was allowed to hang around and pick his brain. A great experience, and one never matched by any other brand I've owned. I was sobered to learn there is a lot of misinformation on the web regarding the 12C. For example, the ceramics are already bedded at delivery. And the finicky computers are such that I would not dream of modifying this car. It's hubris and asking for disaster IMO. We also discussed and demonstrated turning stability control completely off. Not my thing personally, but it comes up.

From peering over the tech's shoulder, I see no performance enhancements at all with 12.0. Just housekeeping. Our goal in part was to correct a rough start/idle issue that affects certain VIN ranges. The jury is still out on that.

·
Registered
493 Posts
v12.0??? What happened in between 10.6 and 12.0? Has there been any software release in between?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
v12.0??? What happened in between 10.6 and 12.0? Has there been any software release in between?
Found out that European and American platform numbers are slightly different,but not that much,ie I think 10.2 and 10.6 are the same depending on where you are!!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I did hear from my dealer tech that there is an update coming that is later than 10.6. I have asked what for, but no word yet.

He also said that 10.6 wasn't just an Iris/Nav update. There were minor changes to throttle map or gearbox control to smooth out low speed power delivery. I did notice an improvement.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
So what is the difference between 11.0 and 10.6?
0.4 !

Come on, ha bloody ha, ha. Let's see a smile? OK pathetic I know.

I can no longer take these upgrades/changes seriously. The car is ballistic, reliable and fun.......the other stuff is sort of peripheral. It's taking too long to get right. Perhaps the starting point was poorly judged?

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
0.4 !

Come on, ha bloody ha, ha. Let's see a smile? OK pathetic I know.

I can no longer take these upgrades/changes seriously. The car is ballistic, reliable and fun.......the other stuff is sort of peripheral. It's taking too long to get right. Perhaps the starting point was poorly judged?
Twas funny.

I think we are all getting gifts with these upgrades.

Look at the competition - you have to buy a newer version to get anything let alone free hp.

Thanks mclaren - keep em coming ;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Champagne612

Good point. Can't complain about people who want to improve the car.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I think it may be the new reality with these hyper tech cars, now. It's more like an iPhone than the old cars we know. Keep developing and fine tuning and fixing bugs until the next gen is released or product is end of life. Personally, I like it. But then, my dealer is only 15 away, so.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know the specifics of the 11.0 updates. My understanding is no performance changes or upgrades vs 10.6. From snooping around the shop, it's just interface and platform architecture stuff, not x,y,z of mapping clutches and boost. McLaren is friendly but secretive, and quite reasonably so. I was hoping the update would smooth out my cold starts but it looks like I've got a breed of 12C that is part Italian and none German.

I like the update concept, that's why I started the thread. I can no more hack the McLaren ECU code than I can build a superior 4-barrel Holley. Trade secrets. The future is fewer moving parts, more code, and it's coming FAST ;$

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I don't know the specifics of the 11.0 updates. My understanding is no performance changes or upgrades vs 10.6. From snooping around the shop, it's just interface and platform architecture stuff, not x,y,z of mapping clutches and boost. McLaren is friendly but secretive, and quite reasonably so. I was hoping the update would smooth out my cold starts but it looks like I've got a breed of 12C that is part Italian and none German.

I like the update concept, that's why I started the thread. I can no more hack the McLaren ECU code than I can build a superior 4-barrel Holley. Trade secrets. The future is fewer moving parts, more code, and it's coming FAST ;$
I never thought I would say this, but my McLaren has been more reliable than my Apple products, at least over the past year. I've had 2 iPhones go dead, my Apple TV is a constant glitch, the battery on one of my laptops gave up and my MacBook Air's WiFi has never really worked properly, even when I replaced it under warranty. Plus, the iCould product is just sh!t. Love the stuff, though. :eek:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I never thought I would say this, but my McLaren has been more reliable than my Apple products, at least over the past year. I've had 2 iPhones go dead, my Apple TV is a constant glitch, the battery on one of my laptops gave up and my MacBook Air's WiFi has never really worked properly, even when I replaced it under warranty. Plus, the iCould product is just sh!t. Love the stuff, though. :eek:
But at least I can close my MacBook lid without slamming it 3 times. And IRIS crashes WAY more than OS X or iOS. And the off chance my Mac does crash, I don't need to call roadside assistance.

·
Registered
886 Posts
When you pursue perfection you must constantly evolve.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I first go my car, it had a very bad cold start low RPM stumble, too - took it out for some serious coughing up and down some canyon roads, lo and behold, she got the message, no cold start coughing on this baby anymore....... :p

·
Registered
493 Posts

I just texted my Mclaren tech and he said the version 11 is only for certain Spider cars. It's not applicable to the coupes.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
But at least I can close my MacBook lid without slamming it 3 times. And IRIS crashes WAY more than OS X or iOS. And the off chance my Mac does crash, I don't need to call roadside assistance.
Honestly, I have had way more problems with OS X and iOS than IRIS, not to mention the Apple hardware. I wish I was lying, since my life pretty much runs on Apple. Spent more time on these stupid Apple support forums than I ever cared to; judging by how many others are on there, I'm not the only one. IMO their products are getting less reliable as time goes on.

I make my living in the software industry, so I'm sympathetic towards post release bugs for brand new technology. But the goal is always to improve quality on a macro scale, despite any small backward steps, which do happen. McLaren is doing that fairly well IMO. Apple not so much.

Plus, I have other cars with all kinds of crap that never worked properly in the first place. And I'm pretty sure no fixes or updates are coming for them!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts