McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my upgraded 2012 MP4-12C today. Let's go through these things in order of importance.

The additional horsepower is noticeable, as the car is even faster than it was. Above 6000 RPM is where I notice it the most, although as before you can feel the boost building rapidly as the needle crosses 5000. Even at lower RPM and speed, though, the throttle response seems re-calibrated, which makes the car seem livelier and more eager to rev. Very nice. It is even easier now to break traction at highway speeds, which is always a bit of a "well hello there!" when you see the light on the dash blinking away.

Very importantly, for me, the slight lurch at maintenance throttle/low speed is now completely gone. If part of your commute is in big city traffic, as mine is, you will love this improvement. I still sometimes notice the faintest of throttle burps when coming to a complete stop, but I'm wondering now if this is more of CCB modulation thing.

Pre-Cog lives! I expect the gearbox debate to continue. Manual mode shifts are definitely quicker if you are just yanking the paddles, but the overall usage cases seem the same as they were before. By that I mean, the harder you are pushing the car, the faster and more immediate shift you will get. If you Pre-Cog, though, you get instant shifts, as before, although they, too, seem even snappier. I tried the double downshift overtake (5th to 3rd) by just yanking the paddle as fast as I could and the box still doesn't love that as there was a noticeable delay. When I Pre-Cog'd the 2 downshifts as fast as I could, the execution was flawless. Now, my car still has the paddles w/detent, so not sure how other cars will behave in these scenarios. But overall, for me, the gearbox has improved significantly with v10.0.

The "blip" gets its own paragraph because it is definitely real. Brake hard from high revs/speed and downshift and you now get the exaggerated rev with your shift. So there you have it, human emotion delivered by a computer - enjoy yourselves.

The Meridian sound system sounds awesome; I am sure everybody will love the changes. I only had time to listen to one album, but the bass is way fuller and the range on the various settings is much more pronounced, so you can tune the sound to your liking.

Nav seems to work fine. I will need much more time with it to evaluate fully, however.

Bluetooth paired my iPhone no problem and sync'd my contacts. Did not try any calls yet, however.

ISG works as anticipated. Powertrain in Track with ISG set minimum is now a welcome reality.

Overall, I am very, very happy. Ecstatic really. I was worried that McLaren would slowly turn the car into a Ferrari to appease the journos and some customers. But they haven't (although the downshift blip is debatable). The essence of the car remains perfectly intact. It is everything I already love about the 12C, but even better. It still feels very McLaren and very precise and very ----ing fast. If I never sell it does that mean its trade-in value is zero?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
What a relief.......it is still a Mclaren but a better Mclaren. Keep posting your views as your experience develops for those of us who have to wait.

I'm so glad pre-cog lives....... and my proximity door openers

Thanks 6th........I had to tell my wife our car would probably not get the extra bhp as she questions if it is really required.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
6th you will sell it to get the direct injection version........you know you will:D

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
wonderful news 6th.. ! and thanks for the update so soon after the event... the suspense would have killed me....

i don't think any of us were selling anyway were we?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers gents! Regarding the wife, I was also quite happy with the choice Nav voice guidance... pleasant female, but not so seductive sounding that the better half will be irritated!! :p

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Is the satnav voice changeable, as with most others, and if so, does it have a 'Ron' function? "Approaching an exit in 123.6 yards, now sit up straight and straighten your tie before exiting".

·
Registered
367 Posts
So exciting! I'm levitating over my seat!
"well hello there" perfect description
That clutch engagement or low speed throttle bump, whatever, I found super annoying on the 458.
What a great car the 12C is...
Just completed my spec last week, Lake Forest Sports Cars.
Jan 2013 build cant wait!!!!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
That clutch engagement or low speed throttle bump, whatever, I found super annoying on the 458.
ergo.. you coupe or spyder? jan build so your delivery might be when? just interested to know where they're at... heard they were building 11 a day...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ive just got mine back so going out later but had a shot drive & i agree with 6th its a lot lot better the gear box is GREAT & you can tell its F--- ING QUICK ! ! ! :D:D:D:p:p

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Is the satnav voice changeable, as with most others, and if so, does it have a 'Ron' function? "Approaching an exit in 123.6 yards, now sit up straight and straighten your tie before exiting".
I was hoping there would be a Bob Dylan option. You know......hey dude hang a right there and chill that wheel by Martha's Farm.....smoke those brakes and slide on left by the Big Brass Bed.......yeh I ain't gonna work at the MPC no more......

·
Registered
367 Posts
ergo.. you coupe or spyder? jan build so your delivery might be when? just interested to know where they're at... heard they were building 11 a day...
Coupe
I initially requested March delivery, but then decided to get a winter wheel set so
I'd sure take it sooner if I could get it.
Estimate 3 weeks on the boat and another week to deliver and prep=March
Is that realistic?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
The power and gearbox upgrades were lauded universally at the track yesterday. LOVE it. Now I have to go back to get the Nav/audio/bluetooth setup (McLaren is parsing out the hardware tightly).

·
Registered
964 Posts
Brilliant news, looking forward even more to the upgrades and getting the car we all wanted.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The clutch slip (is that what it is even called in a DCT?) is impeccable, now. Perfect amount of slip moving away from a stop and a sudden lift off & coast is all very fluid, none of that feeling like there is too much engine braking. Even in 1st gear, you can hold the throttle steady at any revs and just cruise along, which is so essential for stop & go traffic. The Italian transmission guy, whoever he is, should be commended as he's done a swell job sorting that out.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, that sounds awesome, thanks for the quick feedback :)

I must admit that I'm very much looking forward to the "blip" feature as I kind of missed it. But then I grew up with sequential manual transmissions and they all do it - and do love it.

Would love to hear more over the coming days, have fun !
You will like it, McDc. I make a lot of these comments tongue in cheek, as most have probably figured out, because I am quite opposed to the idea of McLaren losing their own brand identity and just making cloned Ferraris with Kiwi badges. I will allow them the exaggerated downshift blip, however, under the assumption that it will not be a detriment to lap times. Keep in mind, however, that you need to be braking quite aggressively and from high revs to trigger it. At least, that is the way it appeared on my first drive - will confirm later.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
And it burns petroleum spirit.......what a waste Ron!!!! But good fun........that is fuuuuurn.....well done Ron.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Just finish my packing 6th,so im late to the party! All sounds good and my car went in today in a James Bond kind of moment (i will tell all when i return) .Just to re-cap on the quick downshift that we have all been missing,are you saying its flawless with pre-cog,but dont bother trying to be quick just by pulling for the down shift?I take it this is while flooring the thottle for an overtake? As for quick downshifts off the thottle while braking i take it you just hold the paddle and it does it all with blips,i though will still be doing it myself as i find it much more satisfying !!
Thanks for the quick response as 9 days away without my lady will be tough,i will just have to do ( with) the wife :D

ps,its nice that you get something first,as you have had to listen to many of us lot drone on about upgrades in the past,have a great weekend learning all over again !!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just finish my packing 6th,so im late to the party! All sounds good and my car went in today in a James Bond kind of moment (i will tell all when i return) .Just to re-cap on the quick downshift that we have all been missing,are you saying its flawless with pre-cog,but dont bother trying to be quick just by pulling for the down shift?I take it this is while flooring the thottle for an overtake? As for quick downshifts off the thottle while braking i take it you just hold the paddle and it does it all with blips,i though will still be doing it myself as i find it much more satisfying !!
Thanks for the quick response as 9 days away without my lady will be tough,i will just have to do ( with) the wife :D

ps,its nice that you get something first,as you have had to listen to many of us lot drone on about upgrades in the past,have a great weekend learning all over again !!
Thanks andy! :)

The double downshift scenario I tried was at maintenance (steady) throttle, i.e. cruising highway speed, then downshift 2x as fast as possible before flooring the gas. Without Pre-Cog, there was a delay for the shifts to complete. With Pre-Cog, the shifts happened as fast as I could do them, of course keeping in mind that the second shift takes you a millisecond longer to do because you are Pre-Cog'ing. I will try both methods again tonight or tomorrow morning (traffic dependent!) but instead request the 2 shifts AFTER flooring the gas.

Again, I must reiterate that I have the original paddle setup with detent. Some of you other guys with more recent paddles may experience a different behaviour - I just don't know.

andy - With regards to the blips on the aggressive downshifts/braking, I was requesting each shift manually, not holding the paddle. Will have a go the other way, though, and report back.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts