McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Owner
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the UK i seem to see the same cars that have been offered for sale for weeks now. Whats happening....i thought given the waiting list these should have been snapped up instantly! In EVO this month, Chris Harris writes that the "over list" market for the maclaren has gone. So whats going on?

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Are the cars really for sale or is the advertisement just a ruse to generate interest in the broker? There's very little cost to keep an online advertisement running.

Also, the 'got to have it' mentality is often slightly outweighed by the 'want it my way' desires so most potential customers for the 12C are likely going to order and spec a car to suit them and be willing to wait in line for it.

I also believe we're at the end of the drive it and flip it era for mid-priced supercars. It used to be you could buy a new Ferrari coupe at list price (360 or 430) and then a year on you could hop over to the Spider with very little if any equity loss. I think the market for second-hand cars like these is simply softer across the board when being sold at a premium so they'll either take longer to move or trade at reduced prices.

>8^)
ER

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
All very well said. The ratio of sold to for sale on the after market is also very low, which means owners are keeping their cars.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I introduced a Ferrari friend to the 12C a couple of weeks ago. He has had 12 Ferraris and is used to getting what he wants. He called 5 dealerships and the best he could do was April. There are no cars available here in the states; inventory or used.

·
Owner
893 Posts
I introduced a Ferrari friend to the 12C a couple of weeks ago. He has had 12 Ferraris and is used to getting what he wants. He called 5 dealerships and the best he could do was April. There are no cars available here in the states; inventory or used.
Well, to me that sounds like it's quite simple to place an order, and receive your car in the standard amount of turnaround time. April is just around the corner.:) So, that's not bad at all. I would have guessed the delivery would be, as a rule, about 4 to 5 months.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Doubt that will happen maybe an April build but I would be very surprised

·
Registered
600 Posts
Here in the UK i seem to see the same cars that have been offered for sale for weeks now. Whats happening....i thought given the waiting list these should have been snapped up instantly! In EVO this month, Chris Harris writes that the "over list" market for the maclaren has gone. So whats going on?
He's wrong wait till spring Ferrari told him to write that or was it Porsche

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Wait till spring,why buy now,if you were not on the list you probably dont know its a DD,and i know the 458 has been out a year but percentage wise in the UK there are far more for sale,i know many are doing so because of the impending spyder but none are selling.
I spoke to the MTC yesterday and have been told they are doing great in the states,so hopefully this will keep supply low in the UK and help keep prices up,im sure its a fine balancing act.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You know with the 458 you want RED OR RED with maybe Grigio. The interiors are also similar other than carbon bling so choice is limited and at this moment 458 prices are dropping as there are a lot for sale

With the MP12 there seems to be an infinite choice of colours and interior combinations.

If I was buying second hand, sorry pre-owned, I would want my choice and not some of the way out combo's. I do think some colour combo's will be slow sellers second hand.

Post mid life crisis VO, city slicker boring graphite and I'm so hip Black will definitely bomb on residuals.

However Volcanic Red will clearly be in great demand as the classy colour of choice with massive premiums assured.

·
Owner
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He was comparing the demand of the 12C to his own GT3RS 4.0.....BUT still making thedig that the 12C is not seling at a big premium over list having only just been released - he does have a point.......

·
Registered
316 Posts
Doubt that will happen maybe an April build but I would be very surprised
It was an ordered car from one of those daily rent car companies. I don't think that McLaren wanted one of their cars to be put in to that kind of thing,

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You know with the 458 you want RED OR RED with maybe Grigio. The interiors are also similar other than carbon bling so choice is limited and at this moment 458 prices are dropping as there are a lot for sale

With the MP12 there seems to be an infinite choice of colours and interior combinations.

If I was buying second hand, sorry pre-owned, I would want my choice and not some of the way out combo's. I do think some colour combo's will be slow sellers second hand.

Post mid life crisis VO, city slicker boring graphite and I'm so hip Black will definitely bomb on residuals.

However Volcanic Red will clearly be in great demand as the classy colour of choice with massive premiums assured.
Funny that Kevin,i thought exactly the opposite,VR will bomb because customers will be sick of being asked what they think of their new ferrari:D
We could always swap if you cant cope;)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Andy, your right, I should have gone with VO, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There is no doubt in my mind VO balances the cars shape out.

MPC next week to see my car on the line. Gives me the opportunity to check if those pesky sensors are fitted correctly and ask after Doris.

I've asked if they have any offers on shop soiled fitted luggage! Don't want to know the price, must be stratospheric.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts