McLaren Life banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow McLaren owners. I’m about to purchase a used 600LT Spider. Car has 4K miles and comes with the Trofeo R’s. Dealer is telling me the tires have plenty of grip left, but I’m just not sold on the Trofeo’s, especially for daily street driving. Has anyone had any experience with asking the dealer to swap out tires with the Pirelli P Zeros? Or should I be asking for new tires given the Trofeo’s have already run 4K miles… any thoughts? Thank you guys!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hello fellow McLaren owners. I’m about to purchase a used 600LT Spider. Car has 4K miles and comes with the Trofeo R’s. Dealer is telling me the tires have plenty of grip left, but I’m just not sold on the Trofeo’s, especially for daily street driving. Has anyone had any experience with asking the dealer to swap out tires with the Pirelli P Zeros? Or should I be asking for new tires given the Trofeo’s have already run 4K miles… any thoughts? Thank you guys!
Don't lose the car over $2K.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trofeo R’s wear fairly quickly. I’d say they are likely less the 40% wear, but i’m just guessing. Ask the dealer for the exact tread life.

The Trofeo R’s are amazing tires, but only when warm and not when wet. So fairly limiting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will get the exact tread from the dealer. TBH, I’m going to swap out for Michelin Sport Cup 2’s. 245 front and 305 back, however would like to have the Trofeo’s for Tack days. Reason I’m asking about the tires is the dealership worked in a 5 year wheel and windscreen protection to the deal. It’s a long story but the NET difference in the is negligible, so what I really wanted was new tires, especially if they care covered under the protection plan. Any of you used the protection for tires?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I will get the exact tread from the dealer. TBH, I’m going to swap out for Michelin Sport Cup 2’s. 245 front and 305 back, however would like to have the Trofeo’s for Tack days. Reason I’m asking about the tires is the dealership worked in a 5 year wheel and windscreen protection to the deal. It’s a long story but the NET difference in the is negligible, so what I really wanted was new tires, especially if they care covered under the protection plan. Any of you used the protection for tires?
This is all very interesting, it's almost exactly the opposite of the things I worry about when buying a car that costs as much as a house.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just forget the P Zeros They are low end low performance skins that have no place on a 600
Torfeo R's great on track and can be used on street until they wear out (unless you live in a cold wet place)
Sport Cup 2's are a good dual-use tire i.e..great on track but a bit firm on street plus not great on wet
I have had them all
For street 4S's are popular with most Macca owners but with a 600 if you run the car in canyons aggressively you might look for a lower tread wear thus stickier tire
i like Yokahama Advan V501 and even can to the track and run them if I am not going for lap times

·
Registered
2019 McLaren 600LT Chicane Effect
264 Posts
I’ll add in the Goodyear Supercar 3R tires are awesome as well, easier to heat and retain it than the Torfeo R’s, great traction both on track and dry roads. They are also a little lower in cost and a bit better for wear. Wet road like we had in the SF bay on Saturday kind of suck though, but not impossible. 84/Skyline/Hwy 9 were a bit dicey. It was hard to keep up with the other cars running PS4’s, but still doable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts