McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

Does anyone know what format IRIS requires. I tried backing up my iPod to a thumb drive and it didn't work. Yet, earlier, when I just dumped a bunch of MP3s into a folder called Music on the root of a thumb drive, it worked.

I was hopeful that the file format from the iPod would let IRIS use all the album art. At this point, I just want it to play.

So the thumb drive is formatted in FAT32. Here is a snapshot of what the directory structure looks like.

Thanks for any pointers.

Attachments

·
Registered
715 Posts
Well John, you gotta stick to mp3. But with a little work you can imbed the album art. There are several decent and free apps that will do it. I messed about with this until I realized that I had a drawer full of iPods that were a gold mine of gigs and gigs of storage. I simply took a nano and ripped everything on to it from iTunes and away I went with no fuss. I'm sure you have several iPods somewhere. It really is the best solution that I've found.

Ps, a colleague that is a bit of a wizard with androidOS assures me that given a little time he can get apps on iris II. After I return from holiday I'm gonna turn him lose. As long as he doesn't get it to sing "Daisy" I think we'll get somewhere.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh, one more thing, you can't play backups from iTunes directly. They need to go through iTunes to work.

If you're really into music, look into vortexbox. I've had one on my sonos system for 2 years now and I've ripped over 1600 CDs on to it. Album art and all. It repurposes an old PC into a music server using unix. Free. It uses Flac lossless codex to encode the files and they sound great with the added convenience of making MP3s at 320 on the fly.

There is a whole subculture around esoteric aspects of vortexboxes. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use apple lossless, works well, but thanks for all the great info Walt.

Problem is I want to *not* use the iPod. Why? Because if I use just a USB stick, then I can still plug in another iPod or iPhone. You cannot have both an iPod and an iPhone plugged into the new IRIS.

So, 128GB USB stick is cheap (they actually have 1TB USB sticks now--not cheap), and keep that permanently in the car. And that way I can jump back and forth between the USB library and iPhone.

Thats fantastic news about the IRIS 2 hacking! Cannot wait to get Waze on IRIS! Good luck Walt and let us know how it works out. And hoping the pod bay doors keep working right. :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jamie. But IRIS did work with MP4s just fine. I'll double check with a new USB drive that just dumps all the tracks into one directory. That seemed to work last time, but I didn't want to move all those tracks by hand.

iTunes will also bulk convert everything, but I was hoping to avoid that. Have 26000 tracks, mostly in apple lossless. Probably take a day or two to grind through it.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Thanks Jamie. But IRIS did work with MP4s just fine. I'll double check with a new USB drive that just dumps all the tracks into one directory. That seemed to work last time, but I didn't want to move all those tracks by hand.

iTunes will also bulk convert everything, but I was hoping to avoid that. Have 26000 tracks, mostly in apple lossless. Probably take a day or two to grind through it.
Ahh, gotcha. I misunderstood, I thought you were saying IRIS wasn't playing the file if it wasn't MP3. I also forgot that iTunes could convert things for you already :D. It could be that IRIS won't skip between directories.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've recorded hundreds of CDs with a home based Meridian Sooloos system, which records in FLAC, a lossless system. It captures Metadata from almost every album from jacket info, like album art and track info. ( some albums have no metadata at first, but the data "shows up" later once enough people put in the album data. The system draws data on line, and it updates.

All this is backed up in my Mac computer which has a few thumb drive portals. I can go to iTunes on my Mac, and download albums onto numerous thumb drives that I use in almost all the cars I own.

The new ( and the old ) IRIS system plays the thumb drives very well, and the sound quality is excellent. Album info scrolls onto the GPS screen whenever a new album coms up. All sorts of methods of album and track info and selection options are available on screen.

The new IRIS is well worth the money for the upgrade simply due to improved functionality of the music system. The traffic conscious GPS seems to know where photos radar is, and seems to update itself from other GPS systems.

Frankly, I have no idea how it all works internally, but it is logical and easy to access, and makes the 12C all the more enjoyable on long trips into new areas.

The Meridian Sooloos system is an excellent home music system. McLaren dealers should all have them and provide thumb drive recording services to owners form their clients CD collections. The various lost less formats are audibly more listenable in the 12C than any compressed music system like an iPod.

I'm pretty sure a Mac computer can play and store a CD with metadata and store it lost less. Transfer to a thumb drive is then easy and very quick.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've recorded hundreds of CDs with a home based Meridian Sooloos system, which records in FLAC, a lossless system. It captures Metadata from almost every album from jacket info, like album art and track info. ( some albums have no metadata at first, but the data "shows up" later once enough people put in the album data. The system draws data on line, and it updates.

All this is backed up in my Mac computer which has a few thumb drive portals. I can go to iTunes on my Mac, and download albums onto numerous thumb drives that I use in almost all the cars I own.

The new ( and the old ) IRIS system plays the thumb drives very well, and the sound quality is excellent. Album info scrolls onto the GPS screen whenever a new album coms up. All sorts of methods of album and track info and selection options are available on screen.

The new IRIS is well worth the money for the upgrade simply due to improved functionality of the music system. The traffic conscious GPS seems to know where photos radar is, and seems to update itself from other GPS systems.

Frankly, I have no idea how it all works internally, but it is logical and easy to access, and makes the 12C all the more enjoyable on long trips into new areas.

The Meridian Sooloos system is an excellent home music system. McLaren dealers should all have them and provide thumb drive recording services to owners form their clients CD collections. The various lost less formats are audibly more listenable in the 12C than any compressed music system like an iPod.

I'm pretty sure a Mac computer can play and store a CD with metadata and store it lost less. Transfer to a thumb drive is then easy and very quick.
Absolutely!

FLAC sounds the best. And although the Meridian system is very very nice, the vortex has the added advantage of being free while having the same functionality. There are those that also have rigged up auto feeders to convert the CDs in bulk as well... Storage is so cheap now that keeping multiple TB of music is well doable.

Now that we have such a better system, hopefully threads like this will start that speak towards usage tips as opposed to the parades of pissing we have all endured.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Bit confused; I thought the Meridian system didn't support FLAC? I did enquire some time ago with McLondon.
Could that have been iris 1. .?
Incidentally for those of you who prefer to use streaming stuff, I am now using qobuz... Has the advantage of being able to download tracks in flac. Makes a big difference to mp3 320 on spotify for example.. Only recently launched so catalogue a little spotty but improving daily.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Could that have been iris 1. .?
Incidentally for those of you who prefer to use streaming stuff, I am now using qobuz... Has the advantage of being able to download tracks in flac. Makes a big difference to mp3 320 on spotify for example.. Only recently launched so catalogue a little spotty but improving daily.
Good point, quite likely daughter of Doris.

Will check out qobuz, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts