McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from watching two days of Grand Am racing at COTA in Austin. Besides the Daytona Prototype cars, there were Corvettes, Camaros, BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris, and even Mazdas running in the races, but no McLarens. Why not? BTW, a 458 won its class, with BMW second and Porker third

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Because Grand-Am is owned by NASCAR and they're afraid of technology, thus tube framed small block 'prototypes' running on a rubbish spec tyre for 'close competition'. The 458 and R8 only got in thanks to getting an even larger roll over hoop section of the roll cage....Get this, a 458 road car on road tyres is faster than the Grand-Am spec 458 on it's 'race' tyres.

Be glad McLaren hasn't dumbed down the 12C to try and fit this spec of racing....

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Are they merging with ALMS next year or something? I think McLaren should race in the US and Canada for brand exposure. Yes Grand-Am is somewhat compromised, but it usually produces decent racing on some great circuits and without the Daytona 24, I wouldn't make it thru winter! Lots of instructors and gentlemen racers I've met over the years are Grand Am competitors, so it is filling a realistic budget-conscious role in racing, which is sorely needed in this economy. No the protos are not LMPs, but I think they look rather badass these last couple years, especially the Corvette DP.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
They are next year, luckily ACO spec GTE class will be kept and McLaren has been rumored to move the 12C GT3 to a GTE spec for that class for about 2 years now...

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
They are next year, luckily ACO spec GTE class will be kept and McLaren has been rumored to move the 12C GT3 to a GTE spec for that class for about 2 years now...
Sweet.... Thanks for the info. You are THE go-to guy when it comes to sports car and endurance racing!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So I just got back from watching two days of Grand Am racing at COTA in Austin. Besides the Daytona Prototype cars, there were Corvettes, Camaros, BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris, and even Mazdas running in the races, but no McLarens. Why not? BTW, a 458 won its class, with BMW second and Porker third
Didn't the 458 et a late penalty and the turner BMW won?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The Turner BMW also caused similar contact as the Scuderia Corsa Michelotto 458 yet it didn't get a similar penalty, not too sure what to think after that... SCM however is rightly pissed with the result.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We left with only the provisonal results so didn't know about the penalty. There certainly was a lot of contact going on, which made the racing fun. I'm surprised that someone would be penalized as loads of cars were doing it.

Also didn't know it was Nascar- run. A few of my buddies have bought obsolete Nascars for track days, you'd be surprised how much fun they are. Fast too!

6E is right about the Corvette DP, it is truly bad-ass and not at all like those ugly Rileys. The Corvette that came fourth was a Venezuelan team who'd painted the car bright orange (a little more red than MO) and it looked sensational

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
That was one exciting race to watch especially the part when Scott Pruett was exiting the pits. Must admit he was one lucky son of a gun to finish the race in the position he did, his ego almost bit him in the ass. Well just goes to show what a great pit crew and lots of luck can do for a teams fate. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
So according to the guide theres a grand am race in today as well. It's at COTA but why would that be? Is it different classes racing?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's not Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge or whatever it's called is it? Thought they raced on the same day as the Grand-Am guys? Unless you're talking TV and it's a rerun of the race.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally Posted by MitchF1GTR

Sweet.... Thanks for the info. You are THE go-to guy when it comes to sports car and endurance racing!
Large ditto from my perspective. Mitch is 'DA MAN when it comes to that class of competition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts