McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I can’t bear the stock sound system any longer. The dealership said there’s no way you can install the B&W sound system outside the factory (which I don’t believe). I talked to Brian’s Custom Audio and they quoted me 35K Euros excluding travel charges for their upgrade. Their system might be worth it but I’m not willing to pay that much just for my car’s audio quality.

Can anyone propose any other solutions? I’m expecting to spend between $4k and $11k for this upgrade but that’s around my limit. I thought I’d go aftermarket anyways since I figured I could get better quality for the same price as the B&W system, but I don’t mind getting the B&W system either. The question is where from though?

·
Registered
2019 720s Volcano Yellow
66 Posts
When I bought my 570s it did not come with the B&W system. I had a very reputable company install new component speakers and they also did a custom subwoofer under the passenger foot well. Totally stock appearing but the sound is incredible and far better than the B&W original setup. But I paid 5K for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought my 570s it did not come with the B&W system. I had a very reputable company install new component speakers and they also did a custom subwoofer under the passenger foot well. Totally stock appearing but the sound is incredible and far better than the B&W original setup. But I paid 5K for it.
5K is not bad at all for a superior sound considering the B&W system is 4K. Can you tell me about the components you’ve used? I might have to order them myself.

·
Registered
2019 720s Volcano Yellow
66 Posts
I cannot find my receipt. But it was done at Signature Audio in Scottsdale and they do super high end work. The owners name is Dave Hill. Super guy. I know that the subwoofer and amp is JL audio and not sure on the component speakers. He has done work on many of my cars. He will know exactly what he did to my 570s.

·
Registered
817 Posts
35k euro excluding travel charges, that's crazy!

Signature Audio did work for one of my AMGs and did a good job, they've moved since then but still same ownership apparently since I remember Dave. You should be able to get Focal or similar high end drivers, sub w/ custom enclosure, and necessary amps/crossovers installed for about a quarter of that Brian's Custom Audio quote.

I'm a fairly serious audiophile and am satisfied with the B&W system, it is well worth the upgrade cost. The Burmester High End 3D system in my S63 Coupe is better, but it was a $6400 uncharge with 23 speakers. And that car's interior is a far better environment for sound production compared to the McLaren with carbon tub and expansive glass house.

·
Registered
817 Posts
PS - doubt the B&W system would make sense to retrofit, you'd probably pay at least $8k for all the parts then high hours of high $ labor at McLaren dealer to install

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
35k euro excluding travel charges, that's crazy!

Signature Audio did work for one of my AMGs and did a good job, they've moved since then but still same ownership apparently since I remember Dave. You should be able to get Focal or similar high end drivers, sub w/ custom enclosure, and necessary amps/crossovers installed for about a quarter of that Brian's Custom Audio quote.

I'm a fairly serious audiophile and am satisfied with the B&W system, it is well worth the upgrade cost. The Burmester High End 3D system in my S63 Coupe is better, but it was a $6400 uncharge with 23 speakers. And that car's interior is a far better environment for sound production compared to the McLaren with carbon tub and expansive glass house.
Yeah it looks like the best route to take is to do my own research (which I’m doing right now) and buy the parts myself, then do the work at someplace that is at least familiar with the 720s because I don’t think I’ll find any audio experts here. I’ll take your advice and install my own system instead of the B&W one since it seems like I’ll get better quality for the same price. Hope nothing happens to the warranty:(

On a side note, how’s the S63? I’m looking for another super comfy car and would love a Wraith or the new Bentley GT but they’re too expensive for me right now. I’m limiting myself at $150K and a used S63 would be around that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i like my B&W system but i can never get settings straight... its either too basey or too muffled etc... tried everything.

what settings you guys using for the system?

help!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah it looks like the best route to take is to do my own research (which I’m doing right now) and buy the parts myself, then do the work at someplace that is at least familiar with the 720s because I don’t think I’ll find any audio experts here. I’ll take your advice and install my own system instead of the B&W one since it seems like I’ll get better quality for the same price. Hope nothing happens to the warranty:(

On a side note, how’s the S63? I’m looking for another super comfy car and would love a Wraith or the new Bentley GT but they’re too expensive for me right now. I’m limiting myself at $150K and a used S63 would be around that.
Absolutely love the S63, in fact I'm probably going to replace my 2015 with a 2020. It perfectly complements the 720S - front engine 2+2 luxury GT, spacious interior with all high end materials, every imaginable safety and comfort option, and total reliability. It's a beautiful and relatively rare car yet understated - it attracts some but not excessive attention which I need for work. The rear seats are actually usable and the trunk is spacious.

The CGT and Wraith are fantastic too, but only beat the Mercedes in over-the-top luxury fittings. The Mercedes is lighter, faster, and has the best infotainment system in the industry.

The new CGT does have a DCT but a planetary gear automatic is a better choice for commuting in traffic and driving at low speeds through residential areas. Nothing beats a DCT for performance, but they are not very good for low speed situations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolutely love the S63, in fact I'm probably going to replace my 2015 with a 2020. It perfectly complements the 720S - front engine 2+2 luxury GT, spacious interior with all high end materials, every imaginable safety and comfort option, and total reliability. It's a beautiful and relatively rare car yet understated - it attracts some but not excessive attention which I need for work. The rear seats are actually usable and the trunk is spacious.

The CGT and Wraith are fantastic too, but only beat the Mercedes in over-the-top luxury fittings. The Mercedes is lighter, faster, and has the best infotainment system in the industry.

The new CGT does have a DCT but a planetary gear automatic is a better choice for commuting in traffic and driving at low speeds through residential areas. Nothing beats a DCT for performance, but they are not very good for low speed situations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts