McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it might be interesting to compare the current secondhand offer prices of the 458 and MP4-12C in a slightly more systematic way. Three pictures attached show:

First, the offer prices of all 458 coupes and MP4-12Cs mid October for sale on Pistonheads. Maybe a little hard to read. There are 58 458s and 20 MP4-12Cs in the chart

Second, the average offered price by mileage bands. There aren't any 12Cs above 7,500 miles so no data

Third, the average discount of a 12C vs a 458 of the same mileage

What I'm seeing is a ~5% discount for low mileage cars (under 1000 miles). There are then 14 12Cs offered at ~20% discount to the same mileage 458 in the 1000-2000 mile band, then the discount drops back to 5% for the 2-3k cars but this increases back to 15% discount for the higher mileage (5k+ cars) - but there are only three of these. Overall, on a like for like mileage basis, 12Cs are being offered at 10% under 458 prices.

Not very scientific, since it ignores a bunch of things like options, year of purchase, actual sale prices vs offered etc. But the market is clearly pretty bad just now for all high-end coupes. But You should probably expect a 12C to be 10% less valuable than a similar mileage 458. ;0(

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why does the graph in the third chart show a 15% discount for 7500-10000 miles when the highest mileage MP4-12C in the other two charts is 6000 miles? :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why does the graph in the third chart show a 15% discount for 7500-10000 miles when the highest mileage MP4-12C in the other two charts is 6000 miles? :confused:
Good spot dennis, you win the prize ;0). I uploaded the wrong chart - fixed now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I trade in my 2012 italia 6500 km with new MP4 fully loaded head by head.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sure good deal, but as an image for Mclaren this deal means allot.

·
Owner
893 Posts
Loaded, lightly used 12c's are between 20k to 50k off, from what I have seen.
But, that's what happens with cars the first day you drive them away from the dealership. I don't see anything that odd here.
Plus, I bet most of the cars (you reference) are dealer's well abused demos.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Loaded, lightly used 12c's are between 20k to 50k off, from what I have seen.
Aren't 458's near the same discount?
I do admit tho I sold my 458 for 9% under sticker with 4500mi. Not bad. Even though that was trade value, greater loses are certain with Porsche, Lamborghini, and McLaren. And no worries, that's the big league I'm a driver not a speculator

·
Registered
292 Posts
But, that's what happens with cars the first day you drive them away from the dealership. I don't see anything that odd here.
Plus, I bet most of the cars (you reference) are dealer's well abused demos.
Well, no. 50k off right away with 1000 miles on? No, I haven't seen that with Ferrari. That's Lambo territory.

·
Owner
41 Posts
I believe McLarens are better value secondhand which is one of the reasons I purchased mine. A lot of 458 owners are however trading up to 458 Spiders which has meant low p/ex values being offered. This has yet to be reflected in the market however but many of the secondhand 458's have been for sale for months now with dealers reluctant to reduce prices.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts