McLaren Life banner

61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's been posted. Please look through the thread (at least the last few pages) before you post.

Edit: this thread is only 4 pages long, you seriously didn't see it in page 2?
TS, is the above a response to my post?

"Seriously, you didn't see" the wink emoji at the end of my post?

·
Super Moderator
4,409 Posts
TS, is the above a response to my post?

"Seriously, you didn't see" the wink emoji at the end of my post?
It wasn't aimed at you. galt69 had posted a link to one of the press leaks that's been discussed on here for a while. TS's comment was a reply to that. galt69 deleted his post which is probably where the confusion is coming from.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It wasn't aimed at you. galt69 had posted a link to one of the press leaks that's been discussed on here for a while. TS's comment was a reply to that. galt69 deleted his post which is probably where the confusion is coming from.

-Jamie.
Thanks for clarifying, Jamie.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Come on guys, I wouldn't do you dirty like that :)

The anticipation of this car is killing me. Can't even imagine what the LT would be like in a couple year's time

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can someone comment on the lights.. i like the rear but the front undecided
Unsure regarding the front lights -- seem confusing but could be part of the aero design .
I am more concerned regarding the 2 alum roof side strips which look similar to DB11.
Apart from that -- the overall design looks great .
The next major news will be the Price List -- all quotes here seem to be in the £250K fully specced .
Hope this is correct-- as any more will be not work in this market especially from previous Mclaren history and their discounts which resulted in major deprecation .

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just caught up with this thread. Seems like the spy shots were accurate - obviously, car will look better without camouflage, but still doesn't figure as a strong point to me. Interior and tech sounds interesting though. I think the numbers mentioned sound reasonable enough to keep prices up. Someone mentioned about not mentioning that but in this day and age, where people jump between models and even brands regularly, that is an important consideration for prospective buyers - new tech is only relevant to you if you can afford to buy a car with it on. Anyhow, welcome P14!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Can someone comment on the lights.. i like the rear but the front undecided
It was difficult to "really" see the front, because the car was up on the podium. Either one was directly in front or a couple feet away, but 20 inches lower. I think the front will look good once one is level with the car and several feet away.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Presumably Declan is commenting on the Christmas ball viewing as on Thursday we could touch the car and even sit inside.

The lights are very different and unique and you will not appreciate them (or dislike them – Marmite IMO) until you get tactile with the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the sneaked photos of the white car it looks like the front lights are positioned more sideways on the fender than on the front.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Presumably Declan is commenting on the Christmas ball viewing as on Thursday we could touch the car and even sit inside.

The lights are very different and unique and you will not appreciate them (or dislike them – Marmite IMO) until you get tactile with the car.
No. I was commenting on the preview. Maybe I wasn't clear about what I ment with "really". Of course we could view the car from every angle, sit in it and so forth. But the view from the front was either standing on the same level (the podium) with the car, but being immediately in front of the car. Hence the view was more top down. Or you'd be on the floor, lower than the car, where you could go a couple of steps backward, but the car was perched on the podium. I think if the car was parked on a street with yourself at the same level, the view (and the impression) would considerably change for the better.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am losing my mind with anticipation. For those of you who saw it, did it miss, meet, or exceed your expectations? I'm not sure if anyone answered Nadeem's question about the wing? Please enlighten us about this great wing.

��

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I am losing my mind with anticipation. For those of you who saw it, did it miss, meet, or exceed your expectations? I'm not sure if anyone answered Nadeem's question about the wing? Please enlighten us about this great wing.

��
After all the spy shots, leaks etc. I thought I had a good idea what to expect. Could not have been more wrong. Completely blew me away.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
After all the spy shots, leaks etc. I thought I had a good idea what to expect. Could not have been more wrong. Completely blew me away.
Yes! I'm with you on this Citylad. This is exactly what I've been saying since the Winter Ball. I think many, many people will feel this way. People who never previously considered a McLaren will feel this way too.

I believe the P14 will be a major turning point, where everything changes, for McLaren. I think 570 was also quietly one of these but in the course of history it will be hidden in the glow of P14. In other words, a lot of people will come into McLaren dealers because of the buzz created by P14 yet drive home with a (new or used) P13 variant (540C/570S/570GT/future 570 Spider, etc.) or a used 650S, 675LT or 12C. In my opinion this is the rising tide that will raise all the boats.

Also nobody is going to see all the technology and beauty of this car and want to compromise with a 488 or Huracan. Order books will be full for a long time.

If I were a well-capitalized McLaren dealer I'd be stocking up over the next few months because Christmas starts in March for them this year! :)

MUHAHA!!! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was very lucky indeed to go to the 720 preview and I can certainly confirm that this car has at least three or four huge changes over previous ones. It is certainly a complete new design. Its a new car.
Forget the 675LT - this will blow it away. It makes it look like a dinosaur and probably will make it look as about as fast as one as well.
I was told by a main dealer that on a track in Italy it (the 720) beat the Porsche 918 lap time by 3 seconds and I have no reason to believe it was not true (on that particular track). Now we must consider its under one third of the price of the Porsche.
If that stat is true then that is utterly mind blowing.
For me its about the clever use of the power and how all of that extra torque cuts in way way down the rev range. Then combine that with the lower weight, huge increase in downforce, and very very clever aerodynamics, and that starts to show why its going to be fast - very very fast. As you guys that race know - its not all about brute bhp - its got a great deal to do with delivery of that and then how much of that you can put down on the track without the car losing its handling and grip.
Its in this area that the 720 probably beats just about any other road car and for me it lived up to its hype.
MCL have been very clever with this design and used the phrase "form following function" several times. The new styling is great - it is more aggressive but its all been driven by a functional need - and not just made to look pretty for the fun of it.
My very best mate, Urs Tschudin (The MCL Mileage man), who was with me for the reveal, has ordered one but will wait beyond the launch cars so he can spec it out himself. I met another Swiss guy who has a P1 and also 2 off 675 LTs and he will be having a 720 now and thinks on the road there will be no difference to speak of between the 720 and his P1.
Ill leave it to others to spoil the launch at Geneva that Ill also be attending and MCL really dont deserve to be let down given their kindness and willingness to preview the car to a select lucky few.
I will tell you though - this is one super cool car (or is it a cool super car??) that will give Hyper cars a run for their money (on the road) at Super Series car prices. Its another big step forward for MCL and the competition will not like what they see at Geneva.
For those that can afford it - get your deposits down now.
I will tell you - the Spider version has not yet been signed off and will be 2 or maybe even 3 years away. When you see the design - you will understand why that is.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
39 Participants
ZombiePhysicist
McLaren Life
McLaren Life is the best McLaren forum to discuss reliability, problems & more for supercar models like the F1, P1, 570, 650, 12C, and 720S!
Full Forum Listing