McLaren Life banner

Tyre Wear

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  extremeride22 
#1 ·
I noticed that the cost of tyres has rocketed and the MP12's are £450 each or £2k for four, about double a 911.

So what do current owners guess they will achieve mileage wise? Presumably the rears wear faster?

#2 ·
Probably 4-5,000 miles, like most sports cars I've had. This obviously depends on driving style. I will probably go to Michellin Pilot Super Sports when this happens. I'm not a big P-zero fan. The Michellins are better, last longer and are less expensive (though not by much).

#3 ·
Way off Moncho,3500 miles so far,very little commuting all balls out fun,and so far im seeing little wear.This has a lot to do with the compliant suspension and very advanced TC,so i reckon 10k miles plus or more if you using the car as a DD

#9 ·
mmm I doubt they would say mclaren on them or if they do that's just so you would buy them off them, I'll have a look tomorrow as popping over to the dealer. There might be a reference mark to differentiate from normal pirellis like extra load etc. I've just priced up a set delivered of the net for around £1800 y speed rating.

#15 ·
Andy, I have checked and the PZ's are a softer compound due to Mclaren suspension compliance and thus I wonder if non-spec tyres l, like the Mich SS, would mess up the stability/traction settings........maybe harder compound equals earlier brake away so no problem.....but.maybe it would invalidate the insurance.....must find out I guess.

#17 ·
Have not driven the Corsas, but I saw a set mounted on Lightweight wheels in my dealer's showroom. I'm not sold on them - The tread is definitely deeper than a Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, for example, and as we have seen the wet performance is apparently shite anyway, so as a second set it may make more sense to see what other tires are available. I have to assume that a MPSC would be a better track day tire, although I have no idea yet if the size and spec will be compatible with the 12C.

I really (really, really) hope there are no warranty issues with fitting different tires, as that would be a very un-McLaren thing to do. Anything street legal and with a proper rating should be fair game.

#19 ·
I saw the m1 on the side walls today but not sure if the castings are different to normal p zeros's these are used on paganis and the new aventador.

I found rears for £291 each delivered on black circles I couldn't find fronts but guess around £220

I think there would be issues if tyres are changed from factory specific within warrant period due to sensor settings, I agree a tyre is black and round but manufacturers don't see it like that.

#23 ·
I tried ordering the corsas in the US and was denied. You must order the second set of wheels. Which to me is insane since the corsa is perfecty fine in the wet and I never drive my sports cars in the rain, and it rarely rains here. :)

Heck I use Hoosier R6 DOT slicks on my Rossion for street and track and they work really well on the street.

I have used several sets of PZeros and have not liked any of them. I certainly hope that the M1 version is much better.

The Michelin Super Sport tire is a wicked good street tire and I would use this one if the right tire size became, or is, available.

#24 · (Edited)
I find it hard to believe that the car is that tightly calibrated to the factory spec tire that any other similar super performance tire will cause significant issues or instability. Ferrari made the same statement with the Corsas on the Scuderia and a lot of people have tried alternative tires with no issues including myself. On the 430 you had a choice of 3 different tires from the factory but the mannetino software was the same.

If you mount tires that you find on special at Walmart then I can understand the factory's statement.

#27 ·
Per MacSF, Pirelli is sold out of Corsas through June (that may apply only to the States, I dunno). I was also told the same, that the only way to get Corsas on the 12C right now is by buying the extra set of wheels. Otherwise, SOL until summer.

#30 ·
Any updates on this tire discussion? Just trying to learn.

#31 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.