McLaren Life banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
His point was that they had engineered the tires jointly with Pirelli. Sheriff also commented that the various electronic aids were programmed based upon the grip characteristics of the tire design.

The tyres have a Mclaren designation both in the nomenclature and physically.
Given the comments from Michelin it makes sense to me to be cautious, especially if you have to ask an insurance company for a 'contribution'.

Michelin will get approval, probably in 12 months or so.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I tried ordering the corsas in the US and was denied. You must order the second set of wheels. Which to me is insane since the corsa is perfecty fine in the wet and I never drive my sports cars in the rain, and it rarely rains here. :)

Heck I use Hoosier R6 DOT slicks on my Rossion for street and track and they work really well on the street.

I have used several sets of PZeros and have not liked any of them. I certainly hope that the M1 version is much better.

The Michelin Super Sport tire is a wicked good street tire and I would use this one if the right tire size became, or is, available.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the car is that tightly calibrated to the factory spec tire that any other similar super performance tire will cause significant issues or instability. Ferrari made the same statement with the Corsas on the Scuderia and a lot of people have tried alternative tires with no issues including myself. On the 430 you had a choice of 3 different tires from the factory but the mannetino software was the same.

If you mount tires that you find on special at Walmart then I can understand the factory's statement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
is anybody on the corsas? All the demo cars have been on regular pirelli p zeros. I am thinking of ordering it with the corsas since I will be doing track days when I get my 12c.
The corsas are as soft as pencil erasers. They are an amazing tire for sure but prebook regular appointments with your tire shop! They were spec on my Scuderia and only were good for 3-4 track days if driven hard.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I tried ordering the corsas in the US and was denied. You must order the second set of wheels.
Can you clarify? I think you mean that you cannot order the car delivered on the Corsas. But once your car is delivered, can't you order the Corsas as replacement tires?

Also, it appears the HS cars were delivered on Corsas?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Per MacSF, Pirelli is sold out of Corsas through June (that may apply only to the States, I dunno). I was also told the same, that the only way to get Corsas on the 12C right now is by buying the extra set of wheels. Otherwise, SOL until summer.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Can you clarify? I think you mean that you cannot order the car delivered on the Corsas. But once your car is delivered, can't you order the Corsas as replacement tires?

Also, it appears the HS cars were delivered on Corsas?
Could not spec the car with corsas on the car. Would have to order a second set of wheels with corsas. My guess is that it is a legal thing and it doesnt hurt to force the owners to break into their new 12C. Because you know....the brake in proceedures are for the new owners NOT the car. :)

If the traction control and calibrations are so sensitive the tire then you would have to recalibrate the system for use with corsas or zeros, and possibly as the tire wares out. And no pavement surface is the same so......

·
Registered
296 Posts
When Antony Sheriff was at the SF dealership, he said that the tires were engineered specifically for the 12C and that "they could have said McLaren on the sidewalls".
thats nice to know. i was told by my tire guy that i use for all my cars that the tires (rears at least) are the same as the Ford GT, and he said another car as well but i cant remember what. I wonder why corsa's are not available in the US ? I have seen them on many different cars, i know they are available from retailers. It has to be some sort of certification thing i would think.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Any updates on this tire discussion? Just trying to learn.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Looks like you would have to reduce rear width by 10mm if you wanted to move to Michelin. Wonder how much that would affect handling at the limit?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...9&rearWidth=295/&rearRatio=30&rearDiameter=20
10mm is such a insignificant number especial when talking tire width, I can't see how that would affect overall performance. Oh yes they are Michelins on top of which it will shave a little bit of unsprung weight off the car. Lol Cheers.....??

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.