McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick comparison of tyre wear on my 458 on pilot sports against the 12c

In short there is no comparison. I only did 4000 km in the 458 and whilst they were all hard road kms, it never went on the track.. (It's done only 40 km in the last two years)

Without doubt grip levels in 12c on p zero better than 458 on pilot sport. More to do with the suspension of course..

I reckon the 458 would need new tyres max 2000 kms more

I did almost 12000 kms on my p zero including 2000 on track..

This was something that I hadn't anticipated when I bought the 12c and is a nice 'surprise'

Keeping the contact patch flat clearly really helps.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The tyre wear, or lack of it, is a surprise but the fronts wear the inside edges before the tread is worn. Not sure why or if this can be eliminated.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Have the alignment checked maybe. Does the car come stock with a different amount of camber than normally expected?

I will admit that I know nothing about tire wear. I wish someone would take pictures of good, medium, and bad tires for me to reference haha. When I start to feel a difference in handling, I change them.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the alignment I promise you... It's just all round wear... The rears are slightly worse than the fronts which suggest its just normal wear to me

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tyre wear, or lack of it, is a surprise but the fronts wear the inside edges before the tread is worn. Not sure why or if this can be eliminated.
I'll have to confess that outer edges on the fronts were what did it for me... 100% track damage

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Why are my rears only lasting 5k miles,with only 1 track day,we must have very abrasive roads here in Yorkshire,so they are no better than my Turbo,i have to admit it must be my driving style,i must learn to be more sympathetic:eek:

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are my rears only lasting 5k miles,with only 1 track day,we must have very abrasive roads here in Yorkshire,so they are no better than my Turbo,i have to admit it must be my driving style,i must learn to be more sympathetic:eek:
I strongly believe its heat Andy... Mine spends a long time abroad and I don't run them hard until temps are 45 to 50 C.. On a good 'day out' tyres are 70 C +.. They're only hotter at the track. Can imagine in deepest Yorkshire over the winter tyre temps struggle to 20.. Even at spa last October when ambient was 2 to 3 degrees, it took a while to get the tyres to 50.. Although in the end they settled nicely at 70.. I notice a decent step up in grip on the road once you get to 70 ish degrees..front end particularly has more bite..

I strongly suspect once the tyres are up to temp, I would come close to you in brutality !

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I strongly believe its heat Andy... Mine spends a long time abroad and I don't run them hard until temps are 45 to 50 C.. On a good 'day out' tyres are 70 C +.. They're only hotter at the track. Can imagine in deepest Yorkshire over the winter tyre temps struggle to 20.. Even at spa last October when ambient was 2 to 3 degrees, it took a while to get the tyres to 50.. Although in the end they settled nicely at 70.. I notice a decent step up in grip on the road once you get to 70 ish degrees..front end particularly has more bite..

I strongly suspect once the tyres are up to temp, I would come close to you in brutality !
Thanks Mike,thats good info,i will leave my temp screen on to see what im getting !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Andy, I get 9000 miles out of the rears with one track day and plus blatting in the Alps and I would bet I weigh more than you so it must be that your right foot is overweight.......yes, it is your right foot that is the problem.......do you use the brakes as well?:D

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The tracking on my car was reset a couple of times and seem/feels spot on. I was told it was the front suspension geometry.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts

The heat issue is amazing how it increases cornering speed and therefore must impact wear. Yesterday my tyres hit 45c and the car was on rails so much better than the typical 35c I get on cold roads. The tyre feedback was immense as well.

Andy, I will always have the tyre temp screen on to start with until they stabilise as I lost the front end at 30mph on a cold winters day. The tyres definitely need heat to work and take a long time to warm up if it is cold outside.In the Winter/Spring it was taking 10 miles on tight roads.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes, its quite marked isn't it RIC...
one thing that has annoyed me a bit about the later software updates, is that the tyre temperature guage doesn't stay up all the time now, it goes back to the home screen after some minutes... which is irritating... i am going to see if i can it changed as mine having the latest software now.. was quite funny on track as going down the straights your fiddling with the settings to get the temp screen back up rather than concentrating on what you should be doing. !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
yes, its quite marked isn't it RIC...
one thing that has annoyed me a bit about the later software updates, is that the tyre temperature guage doesn't stay up all the time now, it goes back to the home screen after some minutes... which is irritating... i am going to see if i can it changed as mine having the latest software now.. was quite funny on track as going down the straights your fiddling with the settings to get the temp screen back up rather than concentrating on what you should be doing. !
If you go into the main screen settings I think the timeout can be eliminated. I will check on Saturday.

I mentioned the same issue on the forum and mine now stays on.......I think? But will check.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you go into the main screen settings I think the timeout can be eliminated. I will check on Saturday.

I mentioned the same issue on the forum and mine now stays on.......I think? But will check.
i shall check that out.. thanks RIC !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts