McLaren Life banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just trying to get an idea, from those of you that have already replaced them, how long the rears lasted? I know this is very subjective dependant on driving styles, track use etc, but it will help.

The reason I ask (and the factors are); obviously we're off to the 'Ring in August but after that I may well be off on a 2.5k mile Euro trip, to Spain, then back to UK. At present my car has done 3k miles, rears have lots of tread left (approx 5mm?). I now won't be doing any track days in this car before the Ring and it won't be used that much tbh. I'm wondering how much life the Ring will take out of the tyres and if I should order some to be fitted somewhere in the south of France on the way to Spain, for example. Or just have some fitted in Germany after the track day?

All answers and opinions welcomed, especially from KSA...

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I'm just trying to get an idea, from those of you that have already replaced them, how long the rears lasted? I know this is very subjective dependant on driving styles, track use etc, but it will help.

The reason I ask (and the factors are); obviously we're off to the 'Ring in August but after that I may well be off on a 2.5k mile Euro trip, to Spain, then back to UK. At present my car has done 3k miles, rears have lots of tread left (approx 5mm?). I now won't be doing any track days in this car before the Ring and it won't be used that much tbh. I'm wondering how much life the Ring will take out of the tyres and if I should order some to be fitted somewhere in the south of France on the way to Spain, for example. Or just have some fitted in Germany after the track day?

All answers and opinions welcomed, especially from KSA...
5K for rears 10k for fronts,but i do drive her hard everyday.London got 10k on the rears for their first demo ,but i suppose they spend alot of time pussy footing about in the traffic!!:)
For the cost of swapping them over i might get a new set for the ring then put on the old ones again when i have used those up.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Andy, I would suggest to come to the 'Ring event with your current tires as they have still 5mm of thread left.

It all depends on the weather and the number of laps you will be doing (=somehow connected).

In other words, if it's raining and you are doing just 10 laps, they will be just fine to drive down to spain and probably back to the UK.

If it's a sunny day (and that's what I have booked for us :D ) and you are in good mood, 20-25 laps are very possible and it would probably make sense to swap the rear tires afterwards.

If you want, I could get a quote for a new set of rears fitted at a shop right at the ring. I'll try out this shop next week before heading to the McLaren event at Spa.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas both.
@Andy, can't believe they got 10k miles out of those rears! Some sales b/s and steady driving....

@Martin, the weather and amount of laps are clearly crucial but, I'm not going to worry about it now you have the sun booked, I didn't even realise that was part of the package. Shirt, hat, sun AND you're treating us all to a steak on a stone!
Would appreciate a quote and a recommendation from you, thanks. I did get a quote from a pneu shop in Perpignan (which is on route) and that was 630 euros plus fitting, pretty good I thought. Complete guess work on when I'll need them obviously, which makes Andy's idea a good one I guess.
Thanks chaps.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy, will check it out for you.

However, 630 euros plus fitting for a set of rears is an excellent price, don't think they can beat this at the Ring but will find out.

PS: Perpignan is always a nice place to stop by :)
I thought so too, my French isn't too great but, as far as I can make out, it's free delivery (no good to me) or have it fitted at one of their dealers, works a bit like Black Circles over here....
(I like Perpignan too but I do worry about my lovely wheels:eek:)
http://www.centralepneus.fr/pneu-pas-cher/pirelli/pzero/305-30-R20-99-Y-188222.html

·
Registered
964 Posts
5k :eek:
I've done 4K and one small trackday, I'd best get a look under the rears and see whats left!!
A price for 2 sets maybe required!! ;)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5k :eek:
I've done 4K and one small trackday, I'd best get a look under the rears and see whats left!!
A price for 2 sets maybe required!! ;)
Feedback would be interesting Gary.... If you do need some, let me know, in my search I've just come across some at an incredible price which I'm double checking to make sure I'm not going mad.
We could always strap some onto the roofs of our cars to justify the Chunnel carriage selection... Would look some of those mental Paris-Dakar off-roaders.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I will have to check them, as to be fair I've got a 3K South of France tour and Lemans before this trip.
Now concerned that I'll run out of rubber mid way through France, and they're so helpful to a struggling Englishman :rolleyes: :eek:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will have to check them, as to be fair I've got a 3K South of France tour and Lemans before this trip.
Now concerned that I'll run out of rubber mid way through France, and they're so helpful to a struggling Englishman :rolleyes: :eek:
If you think you're going to need some in France and can work out roughly when/where, use the link I posted above for centralepneus. If you need them before you go then drop me a pm, or my mobile is on the list that Phil sent round.

·
Registered
617 Posts
if i can help you in france, lets pm

there are good mobile tyres fitting station for eg (with or without the website allopneus.com)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts