McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I never understood this ... milage is only an issue if you have high maintenance cost related to the car consuming its main components e.g. the engine or you are looking for a used car to buy and don't want excessive wear on most components if a car has quiet high milage and no restoration... therefore most historic race cars which still have the original engine are trailered and not driven a lot ... given most more normal cars I would only avoid to drive them excessively (meaning more than 5-6000km per year if long term ownership without big component rebuilds is desired ...) after some time you drive them less anyway as new stuff usually is more interesting ...

of course one can also just say I don't care and its play money anyway and daily a car like an LaF or F1 (however I think many would just not do it, even if money is no issue, as this will very fast diminish the value of enjoying the machine... same like most ppl would not drink a 40-50 year old Bordeaux wine for every dinner) ... some things should just stay special to be enjoyed ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
So do you think it would be preferable for high mileage examples to depreciate less, or for low mileage examples to depreciate more?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
So do you think it would be preferable for high mileage examples to depreciate less, or for low mileage examples to depreciate more?
i think a really high premium should only be paid for very low mileage fully original examples for collection purposes and not driving ... other than that overall condition, history and spec is more important for drivers cars

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,237 Posts
high mileage only becomes an issue when you’re coming time to replace an engine. Most other parts are just maintenance, and to some degree, the engine is too.

low mileage mclarens scream “fix me” to me, and I’m just not interested. Perhaps it’s different with Ferrari’s.

excellent article as always @Boxer!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would agree with the brain washing that cars should be looked at and not driven for fear of depreciation.
I say fuck that!
If I am
Going to buy a car, I want to
Drive it not simply look at it.
My Countach has 40k kilometers and it drives excellent. I can assure you it’s worth no less.
Yes, those ultra low examples are worth more dollars and less driving.
I’m not saving my super models for the next guy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Drive them. You only live once!!!! My previous Mclaren 570s had 50,000.... My 2020 600LT hits 8,000 this week.
I‘m curious what you either sold or got for trade in value on the 570? I think I saw it for sale recently as I can’t imagine there are many with 50k miles. Just routine maintenance with the 50K? Utilize the extended warranty (if you had one) at all?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I enthusiastically say yes to the posts above. I think not driving the greatest cars to grace planet earth is missing out on the thrills they deliver. I love driving my 600 LT each and every time I take her out. And the experience gets better and better with more seat time as it provides more understanding of the car’s capabilities. What a machine!

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you truly view your car as a piece of art and an investment that gives you joy even without driving it, then I respect your pov . I don’t understand it, but I respect that we can be enthusiasts in different ways.

The people that act like misers and seek to impose their value judgments on others, I have nothing but contempt and pity for.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the fact that with comparable cars, the car with the fewer kilometers and therefore less wear and tear costs more. What everyone has to decide for himself is how much the use is worth to him. But to denounce the higher value of a car with less mileage is dishonest.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the fact that with comparable cars, the car with the fewer kilometers and therefore less wear and tear costs more. What everyone has to decide for himself is how much the use is worth to him. But to denounce the higher value of a car with less mileage is dishonest.
that very much comes down to the upkeep of the car ... a mechanical well working one may not be much less than a garage queen (that is what ppl should realize) ... with most historic cars milage is not an issue anyway ...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Low mileage collectors and those who care about miles ruin the exotic market for those who just like cars IMO. If everyone would just drive their cars and treat them like cars, mileage would have far less of an impact on residuals.

This is more an American thing though.

Low mileage cars are also bad purchases from a used perspective because they never had any time to work out the flaws and be corrected under warranty. Low mileage, out of warranty cars should be worth less and higher mileage used cars should be worth more.

Modern exotics aren't fragile or anything.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wear and tear is negligible on "high mile" exotics because high mileage in the exotic world means like 15-20K. That's the equivalent of the wear and tear on a normal car after 1-2 years.

And because warranties on exotics are generally worse and repair/service so high, the risk of the car developing problems is substantially higher. Most factory problems/component flaws don't happen at delivery, they happen after a modest amount of usage.

·
Administrator
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Low mileage collectors and those who care about miles ruin the exotic market for those who just like cars IMO. If everyone would just drive their cars and treat them like cars, mileage would have far less of an impact on residuals.

This is more an American thing though.
It's also very much a British thing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you truly view your car as a piece of art and an investment that gives you joy even without driving it, then I respect your pov . I don’t understand it, but I respect that we can be enthusiasts in different ways.

The people that act like misers and seek to impose their value judgments on others, I have nothing but contempt and pity for.
I agree with you about letting each person do their thing without judging them. I understand where they are coming from and I respect that. However, they are definitely missing out on the pleasure that driving these amazing cars brings.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
A lot of factors go into this;

1) Not many people enjoy long drives (it doesn't matter whether it's an exotic car or something else). I personally don't like long drives. My typical drive with the car is 20 miles or so

2) Manufacture's themselves call the cars "investments". Mclaren call the ultimate series cars "investments"

3) People have multiple exotic cars. Some use off-site storage and it takes real effort to go and drive the cars (drive to a car to drive a car)

4) People lease cars - residuals/payments are based on miles driven

5) Trade in values are based on miles driven

6) One's attitude of the mileage thing is also based on; whether they bought the car new, whether they received a discount, whether they bought it used, were the second or third owner. People who tend to say that mileage doesn't matter are the ones who bought cars several years old, maybe the third owner and a car that is fully depreciated and further miles have less of an impact to the value of the car. How many miles ones lease allows (5K miles per year and it will get driven so that a person doesn't lose that mileage allowance)

7) Investors/collectors also create demand for the cars. If they don't exist then it isn't like people are getting shut out of getting those cars and wouldn't be able to get them. The manufacturers would probably have to decrease supply.

8) If I'm buying in the secondary market space and I want to drive the car and it is out of warranty then I'm not going to pay for a premium for low mileage cars.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is the very reason open markets exist. The value of mileage is exactly what it should be, by definition.

I believe Ferrari, when determining if a car can be eligible for extra warranty, starts doing compression tests at 30k miles. So that gives you something of a data point.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,237 Posts
In life, it's very rare that 'all other things are equal'. What you typically see is some garage queen car with little miles that sits and rots. And rotting can cause problems.

On the other end of the spectrum you'll see cars that are used well to the point that the car runs better than new, and on the other end of the spectrum, run by someone that doesn't drive well and abused the hell out of the car.

It's tough to know which extreme you're getting with someone that put a lot of miles on the car. But when you get someone that put good miles on the car, and basically debugged the car for you, that's the car I'd prefer to get.

But it's like a box of chocolates. Tough to know what you're really getting.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts