McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I jet washed the salt off my car today. Did not notice the drivers door open despite being closed at the start of wash. Yes, the window popped down and water popped in......at jet wash speed!

Lesson learnt, do not have the key near the car when jet washing as the water can trigger the proximity sensor, doh and doh again:(:(:(

2. Checked the oil as per the 2000 rpm procedure.......needs oil as the reading is towards the lower segment......but did not add oil. Checked it again after 200 mile as per procedure......now above top line ( but no oil added ).

Did 100 mile today, checked oil, app, and at full mark.

So do not believe readout until checked a number of times. Wonder if this is the reason owners overfill the oil......miss-leading readouts?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
1. I jet washed the salt off my car today. Did not notice the drivers door open despite being closed at the start of wash. Yes, the window popped down and water popped in......at jet wash speed!

Lesson learnt, do not have the key near the car when jet washing as the water can trigger the proximity sensor, doh and doh again:(:(:(

2. Checked the oil as per the 2000 rpm procedure.......needs oil as the reading is towards the lower segment......but did not add oil. Checked it again after 200 mile as per procedure......now above top line ( but no oil added ).

Did 100 mile today, checked oil, app, and at full mark.

So do not believe readout until checked a number of times. Wonder if this is the reason owners overfill the oil......miss-leading readouts?

1.RIC,nice to remind everyone that its stressed in the manual,please read:D (yeh,i did it too,even after reading i shouldnt)

2.Which owner did you have in mind RIC:eek:

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1.RIC,nice to remind everyone that its stressed in the manual,please read:D (yeh,i did it too,even after reading i shouldnt)

2.Which owner did you have in mind RIC:eek:

Andy, you got a manual and you read it:D:D:D Ok, I did as well and forgot.......

Thinking of nobody north of Gatwick;):rolleyes: but I guess there has to be an owner somewhere who has been thru' a conveyor car wash and both doors triggered! Sort of Rowan Atkinson Mr Bean moment or.........

·
Registered
313 Posts
That was a great tip on how to stop the brake applying when getting out, has anyone something similar for this car washing problem?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Been there, done that!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a great tip on how to stop the brake applying when getting out, has anyone something similar for this car washing problem?
You simply have to take the key out of range...........Andy will know how far, he has read the 387 page manual and has total recollection :D:eek::D

·
Owner
893 Posts
1) I wish the car had a regular oil dipstick; why did they go with this electronic route ?? (If it ain't broke don't fix it).
2) I've read the manual, and there are lots of oversights in it; I can't find any reference to that little pull-strap release on the seatbacks? (for all anyone might know, it could be an ejection device:eek:)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) I wish the car had a regular oil dipstick; why did they go with this electronic route ?? (If it ain't broke don't fix it).
2) I've read the manual, and there are lots of oversights in it; I can't find any reference to that little pull-strap release on the seatbacks? (for all anyone might know, it could be an ejection device:eek:)

Have you pulled it whist sitting in the car?:eek::cool::eek: Only consider doing it whilst wearing a Shoei Crash Helmet. TRUST ME:eek::D:eek:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Car back from service (and V10.2 upgrade) last Saturday and presented with a photo copy of oil check procedure, so looks like an issue here, otherwise, why highlight it?

Not blown away by V10.2 at present, but still need to do some more miles.

Post 10.2, first real scary moments ever with the car, including some previous hill climbing adventures - overcooked it on corner on Sunday and first under steer, followed by abrupt over-steer and much brow mopping.

Five minutes later, lost back end at 80mph (ish!!) under hard acceleration, but all pray to the electronics, because even with my lightning quick reactions, I know it was the car that got me out of the pickle and not my driving skills.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Car back from service (and V10.2 upgrade) last Saturday and presented with a photo copy of oil check procedure, so looks like an issue here, otherwise, why highlight it?

Not blown away by V10.2 at present, but still need to do some more miles.

Post 10.2, first real scary moments ever with the car, including some previous hill climbing adventures - overcooked it on corner on Sunday and first under steer, followed by abrupt over-steer and much brow mopping.

Five minutes later, lost back end at 80mph (ish!!) under hard acceleration, but all pray to the electronics, because even with my lightning quick reactions, I know it was the car that got me out of the pickle and not my driving skills.
Seems to happen alot in the cold when the tyres are nearly worn out,i must change mine this weekend,got a set waiting but too busy,you do get too confident,but ive got to be sensible with the british weather,and it does slip more with 10.2 ,or could that be just my knackered tyres.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Car very skittish on cold tyres, even at low speed. I put it down to temperature , forgot about wear!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Car very skittish on cold tyres, even at low speed. I put it down to temperature , forgot about wear!
Yes Ric,when the road is dry but cold its still skittish,i still think i can give it the beans,but have started to use a higher gear unless im in a straight line.Proves it wasnt this cold last winter

·
Registered
42 Posts
Seeing mention of the pull-strap release on the seat backs reminded me that my car does not have them on either seat.

I only realised they were effectively 'missing' when looking at some interior pictures of other cars and subsequently mentioned it to someone at the factory when making an MPC visit.

Has anyone else NOT got the pull-strap releases and what benefit does the better access to the parcel shelf actually provide - given that you are not really supposed to use this to store parcels or pretty much anything else (other than coffee makers)?

My car is fitted with the carbon seat backs, but I have seen a number of other physical cars and pictures of cars specified with the carbon seat backs which all appear to have the tilt forward release straps.

(Clearly, I am not talking about the leather strap which the seat belt feeds through, but the pull release partly recessed into the outer sholder of the seat backs).

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Seeing mention of the pull-strap release on the seat backs reminded me that my car does not have them on either seat.

I only realised they were effectively 'missing' when looking at some interior pictures of other cars and subsequently mentioned it to someone at the factory when making an MPC visit.

Has anyone else NOT got the pull-strap releases and what benefit does the better access to the parcel shelf actually provide - given that you are not really supposed to use this to store parcels or pretty much anything else (other than coffee makers)?

My car is fitted with the carbon seat backs, but I have seen a number of other physical cars and pictures of cars specified with the carbon seat backs which all appear to have the tilt forward release straps.

(Clearly, I am not talking about the leather strap which the seat belt feeds through, but the pull release partly recessed into the outer sholder of the seat backs).
Can you believe ive never looked!!! Maybe its because im a tea sort of guy;)

·
Owner
893 Posts

Duncati,
Do you have manual seats ?? Maybe, with the manual seats, they just assume you can tip the seats forward using the seat back 'rake' lever that's on the sides of a manual seat ???

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Duncati,

You know you can get fake MP12 wrist watches! I wonder?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Duncati,
Do you have manual seats ?? Maybe, with the manual seats, they just assume you can tip the seats forward using the seat back 'rake' lever that's on the sides of a manual seat ???
Manual seats,no strap pull on mine,but a nice button to hang my hat on!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts