McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I believe it is of questionable quality wrt how it may sacrifice reliability.

I was actually surprised that the delta wasn't that big with an extra 80+ ponies. Goes to show that in most cases, a "tune" from the factory is more holistic and likely results in better overall performance.

I suspect the same delta could be seen racing a 597hp 12C vs the 616hp 12C.

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
So, this would be consistent with a little more boost, some air intakes (maybe), intercooler upgrades (unlikely), a computer map optimizing timing and AFR. I believe the difference but I think you can get the same thing with higher octane, some high flow cats, and a tune. Probably thousands less. Probably throw out the warranty on a high dollar car (not worth it for such small gain)! The aftermarket will catch up and provide more promise in the future. I am sure of that.

This is what they advertise:
Power:
• 704 Horsepower @ 7,500 rpm
• 538 lb-ft Torque @ 5,800 rpm

Performance:
• 0-60 mph: 2.8 sec.
• 1/4 mile: 10.3 sec. @ 137 mph

HPE700 McLaren MP4-12C Upgrade Includes:
• Engine Management Software Upgrade (external from factory ECU)
• Intercooler Heat Exchanger Cooling Upgrade
• Dual Air Induction Filters
• Stainless Steel Exhaust System Upgrade
• Professional Installation
• Dyno Tuning & Road Testing
• Serial-Numbered Dash & Engine Plaques
• HPE700 Exterior Badging
• Hennessey Exterior Badging
• 1 Year / 12,000 Mile Limited Warranty

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just don't find hennessey reliable with any products that aren't GM based.

id send him a ZL1 or a ZR1, but never a MP4-12C

·
Registered
807 Posts
I was expecting a far bigger speed differential from 700bhp.....
Yeah, agreed. I would like to see the dyno plots overlaid for stock vs. tuned. The difference may just be at high rpms, and that's not really going to help much in the real world. Performance is already traction limited at anything below 100mph, so in the real world I don't see much point to this upgrade. Not legal in Cali either, and the McLaren warranty is voided. I've driven some nice Hennessey vettes that were fun, but because of the warranty issue I wouldn't take this upgrade even if it were free.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not nearly as big a difference as I'd expect. In fact, other than getting the jump off the line, it appears the stock 12C is keeping pace with it (and I'd expect the Hennessey to be pulling away the entire time, not just at the beginning)...

·
Registered
215 Posts
thats heat soak gentlemen.
Faster up to 3rd gear then heat catches up. It is not as easy to get more consistent power as people think..

·
Owner
277 Posts
I am a bit confused or maybe the press release is confused. First it says they produced 571.6 HP at the wheels and convert that to 704 hp at the crank, that is a 23% conversion from RWHP to crank that car being rear wheel drive should be about 12.5% conversion. that would be about 643 hp. about 27 HP gain inline with a single cat exhaust. It also says they did 2 60-130 runs stock to get a baseline and ran 8.15. After Mods it ran 60-130 7.15 A stock MP4-12C will run a 60-130 all day long at 6.60 to 6.90. And ran the 1/4 mile at 10.3 at 137. That is also what a MP4-12c will run with an exhaust and launch control adjusted for altitude. The part that is way off is the HP conversion and the performance numbers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts