McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new, $1.15 million McLaren P1 supercar, which was unveiled on August 18 at the Concours d’Elegance in Pebble Beach, CA, has already sold out in North America.

McLaren will be producing a total of 375 P1 models worldwide, with about 125 destined for the nine McLaren dealerships in the US and one in Canada.

The top-selling McLaren P1 dealers are McLaren Philadelphia, PA; Auto Gallery in Beverly Hills, CA; and Price Family Dealerships in San Francisco, CA. Buyers of the P1 made their decisions without seeing the actual car. Entertainer Jay Leno, an avid automobile collector, was one of the first to purchase a P1; his choice for color was Senna Yellow.

The introduction of the P1 followed by a day the Gooding & Company auction of a 1994 McLaren F1 for $8.47 million at Pebble Beach. McLaren’s first-ever road supercar originally sold for $815,000 in 1994.

The P1, which will arrive in North America later this year, uses a 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 engine and electric motor combination that send 903 horsepower and 663 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels through a dual-clutch gearbox.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That would be a significant disappointment. I've been pondering at length whether to spring for one or not ever since Porsche mailed me a lovely packet with an offer to be a 918 VIP. Which leads me to believe Porsche is pretty below expectations for 918 sales, as while I have owned a couple of Porsches, I have never bought one new. !!!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
If you believe the rumours, they're so low on numbers at Porsche they're thinking of a 4 door already.. arguably that's the Panamera anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
That would be a significant disappointment. I've been pondering at length whether to spring for one or not ever since Porsche mailed me a lovely packet with an offer to be a 918 VIP. Which leads me to believe Porsche is pretty below expectations for 918 sales, as while I have owned a couple of Porsches, I have never bought one new. !!!

918 - 200k plus monthly on a 3 yr. walk away lease.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Initial allocation is sold……but there will soon be another 50 or so on the way over….no demand in EU...or far east…..IMHO

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Nearly sold is all relative.

They have INITIAL DEPOSITS on a high percentage. They have fully spec-paid cars only some as far as I know, considering they only deliver 50 or so in 2013.. They have CONTRACTS on more than initial deposits. So they know the interest is there, people are just on the fence still a little.

I think they will have no real issue selling them all and before end of the year they will be all sold. But I got completely different numbers from 3 different sources over the last 3 months in terms of how many were still up for grabs, and that number ranged from 1 to over 100.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
You can see what trick they are pulling here.

IMHO. For a car to be sold in my view the 160k deposit has to go past the none refundable date. Only then can it be classed as sold. I would say that the above post is correct. There are 100 cars or more that have not yet hit this stage. There must be a lot sitting on the fence. Me included.

Every few weeks they announce, almost sold out in order to flush out those sitting on the fence…..lol

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Citylad -> McLaren themselves have not "announced" anything with respect to P1 sales. It doesn't matter if they've sold them all out or not, at this point, because ultimately they're only really sold out when all the ones they make are in the hands of customers and fully paid-for. Same goes for LaFerrari and 918.

Do they have more deposits than P1 care to sell at this point? Only McLaren knows for sure. But I can tell you they have my deposit and I intend to take delivery of the car so there's one sold for you.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I take your point, but why do they keep announcing that the car is nearly sold out, when IMHO this is not the case.

As I said in my view their are trying to attract people that have yet to make up their mind on this car, That’s me……for one. Been offered test drive for 80k none refundable…..

It is different with the 918; they are only built to order. With a cap on 918 cars, so if only 50 orders 50 cars will get built. 1000 orders only 918 cars get built…

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe that McLaren will "over sell" the car just like airlines do. Most airlines sell more seats on a flight than there are since they know a certain amount of people will no-show for a flight. Just like there will be a certain amount of people that will back out of their P1 allocation, but I believe that the entire 375 production will be sold out and McLaren in being coy about it. Apple computer never comments on rumors about numbers or new products until they are ready to reveal information. I believe that McLaren is taking a page out of Apple's book and doing the same regarding many things surrounding the P1. I have already put my deposits down and know I will be receiving my P1 just like MarkNC so that makes 2 out of 375 spoken for.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Congratulations to the guys who are taking a P1.

The P1 was just tested at the ring but since they didn't break the 7 minute barrier they are going back again before officially posting the ring time.

If that's not enough value added to make someone sitting on the fence ... nothing is.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts