McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting post on FChat:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/421224-1993-ferrari-348ts-six-year-ownership-report.html

which was picked up by:

http://hooniverse.com/2013/10/08/true-cost-to-own-a-1993-ferrari-348-series-speciale/

It got me to thinking what is the true total cost of owning the various McLarens. The F1. The 12C. Touch early for the P1.

For a Ferrari 348, total costs worked out to about $4/mile. It would be interesting to benchmark this on a few different models. A honda accord, a 911, a 458, some Macs.

I'm a touch early in my ownership of the 12C. I figure those that have owned the car for 1-2 years, it would be great to get some ballparks if you fellas are inclined to share.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Considering one of the F1 owners that I know refers to his car's trips to Woking as "Open Wallet Surgery", I think the actual numbers would scare off quite a few. :eek:

As a "for instance", a set of tires which are only available through McLaren directly are £6,000. They last about 3,000-5,000 miles, but of course some F1s would wear out the tires just sitting around - long before they hit those mileage limits or wear all the rubber away.

I have copies of invoices from McLaren for various cars that have changed hands in the past, but generally the pages I have received don't itemize the various charges.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
119 Posts
An interesting post on FChat:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/421224-1993-ferrari-348ts-six-year-ownership-report.html

which was picked up by:

http://hooniverse.com/2013/10/08/true-cost-to-own-a-1993-ferrari-348-series-speciale/

It got me to thinking what is the true total cost of owning the various McLarens. The F1. The 12C. Touch early for the P1.

For a Ferrari 348, total costs worked out to about $4/mile. It would be interesting to benchmark this on a few different models. A honda accord, a 911, a 458, some Macs.

I'm a touch early in my ownership of the 12C. I figure those that have owned the car for 1-2 years, it would be great to get some ballparks if you fellas are inclined to share.
It's always a bad idea to work these things out... but of course this post "inspired" me to do it anyway...

For 21 months from new purchase figuring in fuel costs (which I keep records on, for some reason), estimated depreciation from purchase price with tax and additional add-ons (clear bra and skid plates), + prorated registration, insurance, and maintenance (just had my two year service done) it comes to $8.85 a mile (I also put a good amount of miles on my car).

....The smile on my face every time I drive it? Priceless...

I forgot to list a little bit of a breakdown without depreciation which, obviously, is the largest factor having purchased a new car. Following the definitions in the 348 post:

Maintenance: $0.32 per mile
Operating Costs: $0.91 per mile
Miscellaneous: $0.24 per mile

·
Registered
313 Posts
Someone at a filling station said to me that the 12c is unbelievably cheap!
Actually, if you compare to an F1 or P1 yes, indeed it is.
I reckon that each year the cost will be no more than 6k plus fuel and depreciation. (less in the first year, but my insurance was "only" £1600)
If one compares an F1, then that has an annual cost of at least 30k thanks to one Rowan Atkinson,
The F1 is only an appreciating asset because it is exceedingly rare. If there were 10,000 F1's they would be worth no more than a 12c,
I could not get the use from either an F1 or a P1 that I get from my 12c. It is invaluable to me, worth every penny, and I won't be selling it!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the depreciation is adding a lot to Jim's $/mile figure?

I've only had my 12C from may, and haven't had an annual fix up, but I think (*hope*) my number comes out significantly lower. I'll have to grind the numbers out this weekend...now I'm curious.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Depreciation is probably the largest factor in cost per mile for any new car purchase, unless you get lucky with market conditions. At these levels sales taxes contribute a very large amount as well, even if the car suffers no depreciation.

But, really, the cost per mile figure is very unique to each individual, car type and age. If you buy a new car and drive it only 500 miles a year, you will pay a lot for those miles! ...so pile the miles on and just enjoy it! :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, I wonder if the most informative measure would be cost per year.

And not include depreciation as some folks buy at the high end, and some buy used with depreciation baked in, but what are the real recurring costs on an annual basis. Insurance, maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts