McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Fresh owner of 720s with track pack, I would like to try the TrofeoR tires on my car but wondering if instead of using the 245/305 combo to switch to 265/315 setup, as they run the same diameter ratio and seems the OEM rims can support the tires.

9" fronts can accomodate 265/35/19, ok... maybe 9.5" would be ideal, but 9" are still ok
11" rears can accomodate 315/30/20 from Senna, ok.. maybe 11.5-12.0" would be even better.

Anybody used Nankang AR1 in 245/305, what other combos or Rcompound have you used?
What combos of slicks (R19 on all four corners) have you used?

Seems the 720s is very tolerant to front tire to rear tire ratio, as I have seen some running for example 1.03 ratio and other running 1.06 ratio.

Also, for track rims are you guys using 9.5" and 11.5-12" combo? Seems the best to me, maybe with proper ET to avoid using spacers, but gaining like 30mm on each axle. I like so far the Forgeline, any other nice manufactureres?

thanks!
Fadi

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should run the Camaro ZL1 1LE Goodyear Supercar 3R tires instead, they are about half the price as the Trofeo's and just as fast. I got this tip from another track guy on here. You just have to run a 235 up front. I tracked the car with them on and was impressed. I also got Foregline's and Pirelli slicks (See pics below) but haven't had them on track yet due to the virus. 19X9 and 19X11.5

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure I can find those tires in Europe, but I can see there are 245s available and both fronts and rears are coming into exactly OEM diameters, wondering why we should go narrower. 25.8 & 27.2 inches, 235 are shorter at 25.5" not really sure this is a very good fit for ABS etc.

Please let me know how your slicks are working as I would like to go on that route too. Even considering Yokohama 290-710-20 and 260-660-19 on oem wheels. The rears run at a crazy price 1100Euros tho.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello all,

Fresh owner of 720s with track pack, I would like to try the TrofeoR tires on my car but wondering if instead of using the 245/305 combo to switch to 265/315 setup, as they run the same diameter ratio and seems the OEM rims can support the tires.

9" fronts can accomodate 265/35/19, ok... maybe 9.5" would be ideal, but 9" are still ok
11" rears can accomodate 315/30/20 from Senna, ok.. maybe 11.5-12.0" would be even better.

Anybody used Nankang AR1 in 245/305, what other combos or Rcompound have you used?
What combos of slicks (R19 on all four corners) have you used?

Seems the 720s is very tolerant to front tire to rear tire ratio, as I have seen some running for example 1.03 ratio and other running 1.06 ratio.

Also, for track rims are you guys using 9.5" and 11.5-12" combo? Seems the best to me, maybe with proper ET to avoid using spacers, but gaining like 30mm on each axle. I like so far the Forgeline, any other nice manufactureres?

thanks!
Fadi
Answered in your other thread, but will put it here also for others to read.
19x10 front, 20x12 rear will fit...275/30-19 front, 305/30-20 rear (can go wider here, depending on the tire).

As for OD's, the magic number (per a friend at Bosch) is 6%. The ESC and ABS will compensate within 6% of the OE total relative diameters. Be especially careful if you go up on one end and down on the other.

As for manufacturers, Finspeed should be at the top of your list. Application-specific engineering stressed for slick-tire levels of grip. Monoblock forged. Made to order in the USA. Worldwide shipping (they supply Euro race teams). Unbeatable pricing ($5K starting price for a set).

Sponsor thread here: Finspeed Wheels | $300 off through April 15th!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should run the Camaro ZL1 1LE Goodyear Supercar 3R tires instead, they are about half the price as the Trofeo's and just as fast. I got this tip from another track guy on here. You just have to run a 235 up front. I tracked the car with them on and was impressed. I also got Foregline's and Pirelli slicks (See pics below) but haven't had them on track yet due to the virus. 19X9 and 19X11.5

View attachment 201255

View attachment 201256
Hey Arizona,

Did you have a chance yet to try the forgelines + p zero slicks? I'm eager to hear if it worked well for you. I'm still trying hoosiers but they under-steer quite a bit. Really liking the idea of your squared setup.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey Arizona,

Did you have a chance yet to try the forgelines + p zero slicks? I'm eager to hear if it worked well for you. I'm still trying hoosiers but they under-steer quite a bit. Really liking the idea of your squared setup.
I know I sound like a broken record, but you really need 10" wide front wheels. Even with a 245, it will perform better. And you can fit even wider fronts (see my post above). That's the only way to fix the understeer (assuming you already have enough camber).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know I sound like a broken record, but you really need 10" wide front wheels. Even with a 245, it will perform better. And you can fit even wider fronts (see my post above). That's the only way to fix the understeer (assuming you already have enough camber).
Hey AWH,

I have the Hoosier R7 P265/35ZR19s in the front w/ 305/30ZR20s in the rear. It looks like those tires are 9-10" wide. You mean even wider in the front? 275/30-19's work for you without rubbing?

Thank you!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hey AWH,

I have the Hoosier R7 P265/35ZR19s in the front w/ 305/30ZR20s in the rear. It looks like those tires are 9-10" wide. You mean even wider in the front? 275/30-19's work for you without rubbing?

Thank you!
Wider wheels first, then wider tires. A wider wheel will always give you more grip than a wider tire, up until the point where the wheel width is slightly wider than the tread width (not section width...tread width). Tire Rack shows tread widths for all tires.

That 265 R7 has a tread width of 9.6". Putting it on a 10 is ideal and will be faster than on a 9. Try that first.

Though I haven't tried it myself (others have) the next step would be the 295/30-19 R7 on a 10. That's a 10.4" tread width.

And yes, I get no rub with 275/30-19 PS4S on 10's...but note that Hoosiers are made a little wider than street tires.

PS: I just had a second set of Finspeeds made in 19x10 and 20x12. They have a special running right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts