McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travelling to work last week... at the traffic lights I hit Neutral to prevent the "creep". At the second set of lights after neutral when I engaged 1st - the car flashed this message.
Upon driving off I realised I lost 2nd gear. The car went from 1st to 3rd skipping 2nd. I was driving in auto. I took it to the dear who was stumped, MTC was stumped and have decided to swap out my transmission. To my surprise, the dealer had spare a transmissions in stock. A 3 day job.
Any one had this same problem before?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
There has been a small number reported........mostly after reporting leaks , from memory.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Had the same thing lung a couple of years ago. Never did know what the problem was.... Second box was faultless...
That's one advantage of a Mclaren tboigh. The dealers have to have every part in stock so there shouldn't be undue delay in getting you back on the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the same thing lung a couple of years ago. Never did know what the problem was.... Second box was faultless...
That's one advantage of a Mclaren tboigh. The dealers have to have every part in stock so there shouldn't be undue delay in getting you back on the road.
Yup! I was very impressed when the chief mechanic called and said that they will replace the box which they had in stock. :eek:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Really? I imagine they keep a bunch of smaller stuff in stock, but I'm very surprised and impressed if they keep something as major as a gearbox on hand.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
886 Posts
That is dedication to your customers. A spares shop in every dealer to get you back on the road.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Really? I imagine they keep a bunch of smaller stuff in stock, but I'm very surprised and impressed if they keep something as major as a gearbox on hand.
Part of the dealer undertaking. They have to have every part in stock. And it seems every.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Part of the dealer undertaking. They have to have every part in stock. And it seems every.
Isn't it every part other than the carbon monocell? Logic being if you needed a monocell then you didn't need the "pit stop" service :D

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Quite impressed that there was a spare gearbox around in the Singapore dealership it has to be said.. but I suspect I might test just what kind of range of spares the dealers are obliged to keep at hand.. Would be very surprised if I ended up not needing anything to be ordered from the factory....

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Isn't it every part other than the carbon monocell? Logic being if you needed a monocell then you didn't need the "pit stop" service :D
Ha.. good point jerry, I guess they'll have one in a new car which is what you'll need anyway!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Normally with other marques you have to wait a few weeks for a part to be freighted in. Having a spare transmission box (and I saw it today... it is a big sucker)in stock is something special.
Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
418 Posts
This happened to me, I pulled over called McLaren, they said they would send a flat bed. I went to turn the car on and it had gone away, I will take it in anyway after reading this.

·
Registered
914 Posts
curious as to what the cost of the transmission is if it wasn't under warranty...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You guys are funny. I would be more disappointed about the Gearbox being replaced then celebrating that McLaren provides such excellent customer service.

BTW - My service advisor said that basically IF you are going to have Tranny issues(Gearbox not sex change:D) then it is going to happen in the first 1-2K miles. Otherwise you should be good to go for a long time. IIRC Porsche says that their PDK will easily last 100K miles.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
You guys are funny. I would be more disappointed about the Gearbox being replaced then celebrating that McLaren provides such excellent customer service.

BTW - My service advisor said that basically IF you are going to have Tranny issues(Gearbox not sex change:D) then it is going to happen in the first 1-2K miles. Otherwise you should be good to go for a long time. IIRC Porsche says that their PDK will easily last 100K miles.
Ritesh,i was told be the head of development at the MTC,that he would expect the engine and gearbox to last 200k miles as an average,id be happy at 150k ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys
I had exactly the same issue... after driving 10miles , the transmission skipped second gear taking off from the stoplight and went from first to third in auto mode.
I parked on the side ; turned off the car and back on ; everything was normal for the next 20 miles even with rough driving auto and manual...
Weird ... only 11000 miles on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is the warranty on those trannies? My car is 2015, bought it used last year and didn’t get the extended warranty ... shouldn’t the drive train (engine and transmission) still be covered?

·
Sponsor
807 Posts
What is the warranty on those trannies? My car is 2015, bought it used last year and didn’t get the extended warranty ... shouldn’t the drive train (engine and transmission) still be covered?
Your warranty is probably gone. I have a remanufactured transmission available. Let me know.

X

1 - 20 of 20 Posts