McLaren Life banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry I was late to this party. I posted a while back that when I lost the gears and reverse, replacing my SAV solved the issue. I documented the entire thing.

That said, I did have the same codes as you. The other day I had a clutch overheat message. I intend to check fluids today.
Did u also loose the even 2,5,6 gears ?
What the SAV?

·
Registered
205 Posts
No, I lost even gears. 2,4,6. I could manually shift into 3 and 5.
Solenoid Actuator Valve.

I have a whole post documenting it with pictures
You lost the even gears no reverse correct, With overheat ?
same issue I had But warranty replaced transmission 61k. Refused to repair worked for me .
how much cost ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sorry I was late to this party. I posted a while back that when I lost the gears and reverse, replacing my SAV solved the issue. I documented the entire thing.

That said, I did have the same codes as you. The other day I had a clutch overheat message. I intend to check fluids today.
Not a good sign, but this can be caused by so many factors. These codes and gear symptoms can be triggered due to completely different mechanical issues. Indeed, best check clutch and trans fluid level. As long as nothing much drains out of the trans fill hole, it's possibly something far less serious.

I contacted Thorney and explained my issue, the guy on the phone said it is not so uncommon and the problem gradually builds the moment the box seals start to go. The gearbox has a main shaft on each end with a set of bearings with a seal, these bearings can collapse, then places the shaft out of alignment, and eventually causes the seals to fail.

While I'm waiting to get a used gearbox installed, I tested by refilling the clutch / trans fluid and everything appears to function perfectly on the road (tested on a 10 mile drive) - gear changes and clutch engagement are smooth. When I then returned home, checked the trans fluid, and as suspected would happen, the trans fluid was again over the fill hole by about a quart. :/

Keep us posted with your issue and best of luck!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not a good sign, but this can be caused by so many factors. These codes and gear symptoms can be triggered due to completely different mechanical issues. Indeed, best check clutch and trans fluid level. As long as nothing much drains out of the trans fill hole, it's possibly something far less serious.

I contacted Thorney and explained my issue, the guy on the phone said it is not so uncommon and the problem gradually builds the moment the box seals start to go. The gearbox has a main shaft on each end with a set of bearings with a seal, these bearings can collapse, then places the shaft out of alignment, and eventually causes the seals to fail.

While I'm waiting to get a used gearbox installed, I tested by refilling the clutch / trans fluid and everything appears to function perfectly on the road (tested on a 10 mile drive) - gear changes and clutch engagement are smooth. When I then returned home, checked the trans fluid, and as suspected would happen, the trans fluid was again over the fill hole by about a quart. :/

Ok guys, just for future reference… HCF out of Austin makes the seals. They also make other parts

·
Registered
2 Posts

This conversation is great information for others that may encounter a similar issue in the future. I'm curious what a good independent shop might charge in labor to drop the old box and install the new one. Anyone have an estimate for number of labor hours?

·
Registered
109 Posts
This conversation is great information for others that may encounter a similar issue in the future. I'm curious what a good independent shop might charge in labor to drop the old box and install the new one. Anyone have an estimate for number of labor hours?
They’re gonna rape you. Probably 16-20hrs and when they hear McClaren they’re gonna whack you for $200/hr+

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys sound as if you've never even heard of the McMedics, and are unaware of Kevin's transmission fetish/collection.
Hah! They'd be the first ones I'd call, no doubt. Especially as I'm in a moderately rural location. I've been a lurker for awhile now, and love that they're super active on here (earlier in this discussion even) and post vids on YouTube.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Hah! They'd be the first ones I'd call, no doubt. Especially as I'm in a moderately rural location. I've been a lurker for awhile now, and love that they're super active on here (earlier in this discussion even) and post vids on YouTube.
There's a picture or video somewhere of several transmissions waiting in his shop! No idea what they charge, but it's sure as shit a hell of a lot less than the dealers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Kevin has great prices. Definitely recommend you talk to him when search for a tranny.
If I need one, my path is a bit different as we’re pushing for 1K+ HP. So gonna build the tranny with some custom parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Absolutely highly I recommend Kevin . McMidics have more experience than new dealers techs .
and they will have fix for most of the issues . That’s also have access to parts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks. No clue in the US. I have an excellent mechanic that works on all my cars and applies a special rate - also knowledgeable in installing Ferrari Graziano boxes and clutches. The calc is about 2.5 days of labour at about 100 CHF an hour ( so approx 2.5k total) - very good compared to regular Swiss mechanics.

My main concern is the used gearbox... I anyway plan to repair the one going out. As Chipthril proposed, maybe contact HCF or others to see if I can purchase the seals (hopefully a more reliable version) and then figure out who can open it up to do the work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
McMedics (Kevin) is great on this forum. He is also by far the most helpful member providing advice. If he was closer to home, I would certainly take the McMedics avenue to do mp4 repairs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Okay cool well let us know how it goes. Yes the DLD, change it. The P11 units are shit. Although the later design is heavier by 2kg
Btw, did you ever get around to replacing your DLD to the newer version? I was reading from another post that you were also doing it. Any noticeable differences vs the older version? Also, any specific instructions I can provide my mechanic about fitting the newer version (I also have the smaller DLD bolts that come with the newer version fitted with the 570)? thx

·
Registered
McLaren 12c 2012
902 Posts
Hey man, no ive not fitted it yet, but what I can report is that the car will have a lot less vibration, noise coming from the gearbox and smoother gear changes. No instructions other than torquing the bolts to 90NM each and make sure you have the correct bolts being the most important thing.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts