McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thad at Hypercars in Los Angeles says they have 2 extra 12c trannies and they have fully blueprinted the 12c tranny. They are willing to do transmission work on our cars if needed.

http://hyperfastcars.com

Also, they have a very impressive 800+ HP tune for the 12c... And go all of the way up to 1500 HP!!!

·
Sponsor
936 Posts
They are short on details regarding what they have done to the car. I would like to know how the tranny was blueprinted and what we get for the money. I like to know the same for the power upgrade. Make me a beliver.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Glad I wasn't alone in thinking it was slick marketing and videos with little technical substance.

MBG

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nonetheless, they are willing and capable of working on our transmissions if our cars are out of warranty and there is a transmission leak or failure. :)

Regardless if you like their tune mods or not...

·
Vendor
133 Posts
HYPERCAR Data

Hey guys, just joined the forum after catching wind of this thread and wanted to clear up some confusion. I am here to answer any questions and share what information I can about what we have learned along the way.

It was great to meet the McLaren community in much of California, great people there. I am actually based in Charlotte but traveling all over while we have an office in LA. We are making some significant changes to our website soon so thank you for the feedback on the video.

Below are a few video links to show some more data on the Hyper800 System and Hyper1200 System with Hyper1200 transmission. The Hyper800 will not beat a P1 but hangs in there strong for sure. I just wish we had a longer straightaway to see 0-150mph and more so that we could collect more data points.

The Hyper800 program is available with a transmission upgrade. Our various programs have been under proper development for over 3 years and we started taking orders last August (2015).

The performance results of the Hyper1200 with our patented Tri-Boost technology will be be officially disclosed in the next couple weeks.

Closed airstrip testing of Hyper800 12C vs stock 12C:

Hyper800 vs CJ in his P1 at Chuckwalla:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGqYdQ3hujo/?taken-by=hyperfastcars

Hyper1200 at 21psi boost on 2-wheel dyno:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHlS5tVhqjM/?taken-by=hyperfastcars

Hyper800 dyno graph:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Can you tell us what's included in the hyper800 package? Just a tune, tune and exhaust, etc? Price?

Regarding the transmission work, what all is done? Any parts replaced?

·
Vendor
133 Posts
Can you tell us what's included in the hyper800 package? Just a tune, tune and exhaust, etc? Price?

Regarding the transmission work, what all is done? Any parts replaced?
Jt...Below you will see the bullet points itemizing the components to the Hyper800 sytem. The magic is in the tune and the the HyperAssist Cooling System. What is typically available on the market for tunes is known as the "generic power-up strategy" for these torque based ECM's. It is typically the same generic strategy used on the different vehicle platforms that use a Bosch MED17 series ECM.

At HCD we have developed our own specialty tuning tools for the McLaren's. This allows us virtually limitless programming (this is what powers our Hyper1200 car), we even have the ability to unlock the stubborn electronics and dyno test the vehicle in full power mode (with ESC off) on a 2 wheel chassis dyno. Some of the targets to properly optimize the tune are fueling, timing, air charge maps, torque limiters, temperature control tables, sensor configuration, & several other layers of the tune which we keep proprietary. Our dyno graph will show the evolution of our tuning.

The HyperAssist Cooling System is the second key component to our super aggressive Hyper800 system. This system allows us to lower the operating temps of the powertrain and most importantly, to lower the IAT! With the optional IceBox we have seen almost 100 degress lower IAT's. Without the IceBox, we still saw an average 65 degress lower IAT and that was when tested in Texas. This system adds 2 stage cooling heat exchangers. There are more key advantages to this system that I can get into if anyone is interested.

As for the transmission, we make this a standard build item with any car that is getting 1000+ HP build. On the Hyper800 it's an option to upgrade to the Hyper1000 transmission. The transmission build includes the following:

• Hyper Axles (output specific)
  • Hyper Billet LSD Unit (only adds 8lbs & will take on anything)
  • Hyper Clutch kit (output specific)
Optional:

• Hyper 1st & 4th gear set
  • Hyper Ring & Pinion (developing duty specific ratios)
  • Hyper Clutch & Gearbox Coolers w/Puller fans

Now here is the itemization for the Hyper800 system priced at $29,900 installed:

• Complete Vehicle Health Inspection
  • HYPER Inconel exhaust system with high-flow 900 HP cats
  • HYPER rear exhaust fairing (improved exhaust evacuation)
  • HYPER reengineered factory ECU
  • HYPER800 ECU firmware
  • HYPER ESP Dynamic Programming
  • Hi-Flow RACE air filters & intake kit
  • Upgraded T-bolt hose clamps to support high boost loads
  • Upgraded reinforced intercooler plumbing
  • Improved heat shielding & temperature isolators
  • High resonance dampening
  • Professional dynamometer tuning
  • HYPER Assisted Cooling System ($6,000 add-on for FREE)
  • HCD 1-year/12,000- mile Limited Warranty
Regards,
Thad

·
Owner
459 Posts
At HCD we have developed our own specialty tuning tools for the McLaren's. This allows us virtually limitless programming (this is what powers our Hyper1200 car
Can you raise the launch RPM?

we even have the ability to unlock the stubborn electronics and dyno test the vehicle in full power mode (with ESC off) on a 2 wheel chassis dyno
Impressive

The HyperAssist Cooling System is the second key component to our super aggressive Hyper800 system. This system allows us to lower the operating temps of the powertrain and most importantly, to lower the IAT! With the optional IceBox we have seen almost 100 degress lower IAT's. Without the IceBox, we still saw an average 65 degress lower IAT and that was when tested in Texas. This system adds 2 stage cooling heat exchangers. There are more key advantages to this system that I can get into if anyone is interested.
I understand there are testing variables, however, when you tested the IATs stock, what was the max IATs seen? After your hyper cooling system, the IATs dropped to what Fahrenheit?

·
Registered
325 Posts

Attachments

·
Vendor
133 Posts
Can you raise the launch RPM?
We can and tested this. Not really the greatest results due to the significant bump in launch torque. We are also able to change the allowable wheel spin speed. We are testing this launch strategy since we reduce electronic intervention (TC) in combination with the upgraded LSD. With the open diff, if you just increase the launch RPM, we saw more torque management from the TC system and it actually applies the rear brakes independently to juggle the torque side to side. Not the fastest way off the line.

Impressive

I understand there are testing variables, however, when you tested the IATs stock, what was the max IATs seen? After your hyper cooling system, the IATs dropped to what Fahrenheit?
Stock IAT's can spike as high as 70 over ambient temps (Fahrenheit) at WOT on the stock system, and 20-40 over ambient at idle on those hot track days! This is your reason for the reduction in performance during track sessions. When the Hyper system was tested on a 90 degree day we saw the:
  • reduced IAT's - we have seen 20 degrees below ambient at WOT
  • lower EGT's
  • 20% work load reduction on the engine water pump
  • powertrain coolant temps averaged 209 fahrenheit
  • better turbo bearing cooling
  • happier clutches (due to lower coolant temps)
  • and you still have your entire trunk space

The transmission really works the hell out of the stock cooling system especially on the road courses. Every shift you make, the flashpoint on the clutches is ~1000 degrees fahrenheit and that contributes to the temperature spikes in clutch oil which transfers to the coolant in the clutch cooler. The clutches like to stay between 190-210 degrees (oil). Then you have your diff (right behind the clutch), followed by the gearbox. Well, you get where I'm going with this.

The optional IceBox further enhances the performance and seriously brings down temps significantly. This is great for those that like to participate in the air strip events or drag race their cars. You do have to give up some of your trunk space. However, we designed this to be removable thru the use of quick disconnect fittings.

Thanks,
Thad

·
Vendor
133 Posts
I heard about this company a little while ago... would love to hear and see more about their tri-turbo setup... very very trick....

http://hyperfastcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/DSC_0105-22.jpg
Str8blst,
That is one of our earlier photos of our Hyper1200 12C during the fixturing and plumbing stages. Excuse all of the wrapping, this is just for development testing. Our patented TriBoost turbocharging system is standard on Phase2 and higher projects. The power delivery is very unique and exciting to the senses! We will overlay dyno graphs for everyone to see soon.

·
Owner
459 Posts
Stock IAT's can spike as high as 70 over ambient temps (Fahrenheit) at WOT on the stock system, and 20-40 over ambient at idle on those hot track days! This is your reason for the reduction in performance during track sessions.
The implication of lowering IATs is to increase air density and more importantly prevent the car from pulling timing based on higher IATs.

Since it looks like you guys put a considerable amount of time into lowering IATs, I am assuming you guys saw a good amount of value here.

So in your opinion, how aggressive is the stock IAT map with pulling timing? I imagine there would be a threshold at say, 140 deg F where it would start to pull timing and progressively pull more proportionately to higher IATs.

With that identified, has your cooling solution prevented the car from pull any timing whatsoever under WOT? If not, where are you guys on this scale?

·
Vendor
133 Posts
The implication of lowering IATs is to increase air density and more importantly prevent the car from pulling timing based on higher IATs.

Since it looks like you guys put a considerable amount of time into lowering IATs, I am assuming you guys saw a good amount of value here.

So in your opinion, how aggressive is the stock IAT map with pulling timing? I imagine there would be a threshold at say, 140 deg F where it would start to pull timing and progressively pull more proportionately to higher IATs.
The stock map is heavily focused on self preservation Now imagine the stress that the stock cooling system can experience once you ask it to work to cool an even more powerful engine without upgrading it or supplementing it. There are thresholds that are set in stages and a final limp stage which could be triggered by the clutch temps and/or the coolant temps.

With that identified, has your cooling solution prevented the car from pull any timing whatsoever under WOT? If not, where are you guys on this scale?
In our tuning strategy we follow the McLaren/Bosch adaption model for powertrain preservation. However, we have optimized the timing tables for WOT if the IAT's are in favorable range. If rising heat thresholds are experienced, then the ECU adapts appropriately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thad - wow, great information. Thanks for taking the time to educate us about the work you and Hyper have done. Many of the past offerings have lacked this kind of detailed explanation, and for at least me, making me hesitant to jump on board. I'm sure the rest of the forum appreciates the details as much as I. I've been following y'all on Instagram for a while now, anxiously awaiting results, both dyno and real world like the mile events you've been attending. Thank you!

·
Vendor
133 Posts
Thad - wow, great information. Thanks for taking the time to educate us about the work you and Hyper have done. Many of the past offerings have lacked this kind of detailed explanation, and for at least me, making me hesitant to jump on board. I'm sure the rest of the forum appreciates the details as much as I. I've been following y'all on Instagram for a while now, anxiously awaiting results, both dyno and real world like the mile events you've been attending. Thank you!
The pleasure is all ours. We have been quiet for a long time but we have watched and followed the community for a while. Our R&D is very intense but it is the only way to understand and truly specialize in such an intense yet amazing road car. You can say we are obsessed

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any thoughts on how owners can address the trans leaking issue that some owners get? Any take on this? Possibility of you offering a service around this?

·
Vendor
133 Posts
Any thoughts on how owners can address the trans leaking issue that some owners get? Any take on this? Possibility of you offering a service around this?

Carbon....We have read about the concerns and issues that various owners have experienced over the past couple of years & crossed them with other platforms using similar Graziano units. We looked for such trends to investigate certain areas of the transmission. We have not seen but 2 cases of failed transmissions come to us from customers whose cars we then built. We rebuilt these units with the Hyper1000 transmission spec and there has not been any complaints. We do have replacement seals, DLD, clutches, LSD diffs, upgraded axles, etc. We will do a complete upgrade, not just repair.

The drainage/discharge from the weep hole under the gearbox is normal and it is more evident after a track event. We advise that you check the oil level before and after any track event.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do you have any results on the different packages you offer? 1/4, 1/2 or mile results? 0-60, 60-130 etc... Would love to see these cars in action!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts