McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I know it's slippy this time of year (UK), it does seem remarkably easy to light the rears up at silly speeds :D Had me sideways overtaking yesterday :eek: Should this not be prevented, or at least tamed, by the ESC/Traction system? It's easy enough to catch, but other vehicles I drive, seem to cut the power a bit more aggressively thus preventing sideways fun in a straight line ;)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Winter mode Andy,if you want to rest your brain ;) I didn't this morning,thought I would check if the back roads had been gritted :eek:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was on an dry, previously salted (white) "A" road overtaking a lorry ;-) I'll give the winter mode a go ;-)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
We already know about the tyre temperatures Andy,with this sort of power it does make a difference when you boot it in the winter,you will never get them at full optimum temps,and those white roads inherently provide a lot less traction.:)
Experiment by keeping up your temp/pressure screen,it is surprising what a difference it makes is you are just out for a proper drive.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would definitely put it to tire temps. One of the key reasons I switched to snows is because the summers are hard to get to proper operating temps in the cold weather. Snows are designed to run at winter temps and should do much better even in dry weather.

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
I'd suggest the temperature in the tyres ;)
I was out in the motor over the weekend and found the same issues until the tyres had warmed- even then it still enjoyed reminding me it was a 600bhp rear wheel drive car occasionally :eek:

I thought the traction had worked really quite well..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
That's why my cars are parked durung the winter. Too tempting to hit it on a freeway on ramp. Let alone the black ice that shows up when you least expect it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yep, I'd agree about the tire temps. I used launch mode the other day with stability and tc on when the rears were only up to 60 degrees and the back end really fished around a lot more than I was expecting. Had to countersteer more than I was planning to, and stability control didn't really seem to intercede at all from what I could tell. I actually prefer this to my '09 Aston Vantage, where the stability control would jump in way too aggressively at the first sign of "too much" slip angle.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! Do the winter tyres really make a BIG difference? Never having driven with them I have no idea… Whilst the car was easy to straighten up, it did surprise me how out of shape it got with no apparent intervention from the ESC. Do the handling/power modes vary the level of protection?
It's fine if you know to expect it, never really discovered Adrenalin was brown in my R8 ;-)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Thanks guys! Do the winter tyres really make a BIG difference? Never having driven with them I have no idea… Whilst the car was easy to straighten up, it did surprise me how out of shape it got with no apparent intervention from the ESC. Do the handling/power modes vary the level of protection?
It's fine if you know to expect it, never really discovered Adrenalin was brown in my R8 ;-)
Yes Andy,you get varying degrees of slip in active on the handling mode,on track it shows an icon on your dash telling you its switched off,but its not,just a lesser level of protection,sport seems to be best for the road.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I must say that I also experienced a few BIG moments with the car in cold/wet conditions where I was under the impression that the ESP was not working at all :rolleyes:

Also have been told the same by a good friend of mine which almost lost his car last year on the motorway. Straight line acceleration and the back just came round. Not good.

Frankly it shouldn't really matter if the car has winter tires or not, the ESC should kick in aggressively when the car goes sideways in normal mode. That the bloody whole "raison d'être" of the system, isn't it ?

To me, it seems the system sometimes doesn't work properly. But that's of course just IMHO.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's the impression it gave me McDC, it tried to swap ends! I know it's a powerful car etc etc but at the end of the day I thought the ESC would kick in if it gets badly out of shape! From memory I was in normal handling with manual and normal power set.
We have several large flat grass paddocks here. I played with the R8 several times on the damp grass, and was amazed how you really couldn't loose it with the ESC engaged. Methinks I'll have a play with this one and see if the system does really do anything to save the day. Better stay away from the lake!!!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
That's the impression it gave me McDC, it tried to swap ends! I know it's a powerful car etc etc but at the end of the day I thought the ESC would kick in if it gets badly out of shape! From memory I was in normal handling with manual and normal power set.
We have several large flat grass paddocks here. I played with the R8 several times on the damp grass, and was amazed how you really couldn't loose it with the ESC engaged. Methinks I'll have a play with this one and see if the system does really do anything to save the day. Better stay away from the lake!!!
Video please...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The tyres are hopeless when cold. It can happen during the middle of a long trip after a slow phase in cold conditions........scary stuff if your looking at the knickers on the front.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I reckon that the ESC has been set as less interventional since Harry Metcalfe and Co. had their say. The ESC settings have been "loosened" up in recent updates, and the car was more controlled last winter in my opinion. It does appear that settings on the P1 allow a lot of sideways action, presumably just so as to impress Tiff Needell and Chris Harris etc., What do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I reckon that the ESC has been set as less interventional since Harry Metcalfe and Co. had their say. The ESC settings have been "loosened" up in recent updates, and the car was more controlled last winter in my opinion. It does appear that settings on the P1 allow a lot of sideways action, presumably just so as to impress Tiff Needell and Chris Harris etc., What do you guys think?
Not sure Mark,when mikey and I were booting it,considering we were booting over 900hp,it felt so sure footed it was just a laugh a minute,granted at higher speeds the downforce comes into play,but it was ridiculous how planted this baby is,at speeds were there was little downforce.Of couse you could get it slipping,but not in an uncomfortable way.Although I think Mikey did have a bicycle clip moment,but then would you have caught it in any other 900hp monster????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts