McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy shit.

I mean. Holy Shit.

I just got back, and I am at a loss of how to start to convey how unbelievable the car is, and how amazing the track is. So since I'm at a loss at hyperbole, let me stick to the facts.

On the straight, I went against every instinct in my body, and at the kink/turn hit the hammer down further at around 140+, and by the end hit 155 on the straight, breaking so hard we entered 0G. I let my instructor take a few laps, he got it up to 165, and you probably could push it farther.

Turn in was so immediate and balanced. After 0G, you go straight into a phenomenal switchback so quick I can't believe humans have the reaction time to make all the turns, it's so satisfying I could not help but giggle like a school girl every single time I hit through it. Even more satisfying beyond the turn in being so synapticaly direct is when you push to the limits of grip, the Mac just had this sweet 4 wheel drift at every part of the switchback pow-pow-pow; so pleasant, so much feel. The only time I felt the car every "lean" was hitting the hammer at the kink at 140+ as right after the kink, you start going down a grade, so the car is sucking itself down to the grade, the suspension lifts because of the speed you go over the grade at the kink, and then gets pushed down because of the downforce at speed. It felt great, but I think I may need to bring Depends to the track. :)

Breaking hard with the air brake flipping up had a little shimmy from the rear, very controllable and "feelable." I dont get the "squirly" comments because despite the shimy it was always connected and I had confidence and feel. It stopped so hard that it would lull you into "invincibility". You could grab a bad line and still gas through it, and the car would just do what you want instead. It was un-freak-n-real. The steel brakes held up like a champ. I drove only half a day, but felt no fade, and I was *deep* into them.

I felt the brake steer kick in a bunch of times, and this is where I and the instructor probably differed. Every time kicked in, it felt good to me. I mean, really really good. When I was in a drift and I was righting the car, it just helped me put it where I wanted. I wasnt over man handling the car as I'm still feeling it out, but it was mild, and just right. Kept the car so nicely balanced, where the under/over steer was right at a nice balance, and I'd get those 4 wheel drifts with a nice touch of tail just coming out of turns. The instructor was putting the car way way way more at the limit on faster turns and he is used to taking care of all the corrections past grip limits manually, and the brake steer was interrupting his groove at times, though he seemed to enjoy the ride quite a bit. Called it "mega" a bunch of times. He also said he thinks if I turned traction control completely off, it would be quite sweet. I think I'm going to hold back on getting off track mode until I have more feel.

I drove first session on sport/sport, and then the rest of the day on track/track. I was experiencing so much sensory overload, if I'm being honest, I couldn't tell the difference. I was on the Pzeros and they had sick grip, predictable break. At one point, they picked up some crud from the track, little thump that came through. Wore right out with a few more turns. Considering all the grip break I pushed the car into, they held up really well. I imagine the corsa's would be sweet, and if we ever get Michelen's on the Mac, better still.

The track itself has so many elevation changes, amazing turns, speed. It's the total package. The people are amazing and nice. The drivers out on the tack were all really really good. Despite it being a "busy" saturday, it was nice and open feeling. The variety of cars present make most car shows seem like a joke.

They did the pre/post check lists, and sent them into the dealer. You can keep your car garaged there, but for me, interestingly, they can keep corsa's at the track and put them on before you get out, and take them off for your street tires before you leave. Makes sense since the Mac will be up on the lift for pre/post checklists anyway.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring a camera. I have to buy a Go Pro for my next trip. Still, selfishly, it was so much fun, I'm still grinning so much that my jaw is sore. Hoping everyone is enjoying their long weekend.

TLDR, Monticello is awesome. Mac is awesome. Go out and have fun yourself!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I didn't see what tires you used for your sessions? I'm currently running the stock PZeros and there are quite a few 'mottled' surfaces on the front tires. And this was from only a few sessions at the Ridge. I can't imagine these PZeros lasting all day.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Sounds like you had an absolute blast! Well done.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Used pzeros. Mine seem pretty ok despite running them really hard. Last lap, I got a tire sensor warning from running them too hard. Seemed fine afterlife letting them cool down.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very cool! Thank for sharing, I was able to use my GT-R at Monticello and I cannot wait to have the chance to bring my 12C.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool! Thank for sharing, I was able to use my GT-R at Monticello and I cannot wait to have the chance to bring my 12C.
I imagine the GTR was monster. Especially in the carousel and high speed turns. How fast did you get on the straight?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I imagine the GTR was monster. Especially in the carousel and high speed turns. How fast did you get on the straight?
I think I got to 158-160. Car had a tune and an intake.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I love reading these posts - sounds like you need to go back and get that 160!

Did anyone take pictures?

Don't want to ruin this perfect thread with mine but I just love being on the track :)
Would prefer to see a picture of the Healy on track Doug please !!:)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love reading these posts - sounds like you need to go back and get that 160!

Did anyone take pictures?

Don't want to ruin this perfect thread with mine but I just love being on the track :)
Put up your own Doug, it will be cool, and that's a great shot!

Unfortunately I went alone and don't have a go pro. I need to get one for the next trip. And you're right on the money, I've seen the car can do 165 there easily, so I now have a goal. I think a pro that knows the car well should be able to get it well into the 170s.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The 12C is an amazing track day car. Anybody expecting it to be a "race car" though will be disappointed.

Doug: Great pic! It's great to see a Ferrari on the track!! A very rare sight

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Would prefer to see a picture of the Healy on track Doug please !!:)
Taking the Challenge car next weekend I will post more just for you :)

I really hate ruining a perfect thread - but I purchased the Healey 8 years ago. I bought 90% of the race parts from guys over in the UK.

It has every part sitting in my basement - the car sits in my garage 100% restored in body only.

It would take less than 10k to put it all back together. This winter like I say every winter ... two more of a lot more to come ... if I only knew how to post videos :)

Attachments

·
Registered
632 Posts
Doug,..that 16M is looking good on the track! I miss seeing it around here but I'm glad you're taking care of it! :)

Has anyone noticed that the PZero tires tend to get overly "mottled" if you track your 12C? I went out for a short time on a local race track and noticed that my front tires were overly "mottled" afterwards.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts