McLaren Life banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great question. When the brakes are hot from the track. The parking brake should not be used!!!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
How do I turn the car off so it doesn't activate handbrake
You hold the parking brake in the off position as you open the doors.

If you open the doors then hold it off it resets on I think.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I also hold the parkbrake down before i shut off the engine,but as Ric says you must still be holding it down as you open the driver door.Check as it sometimes goes back on if you lock the car,i do this quite often when ive parked up overnight when ive been in the rain,but good to do on track days for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've had a long discussion with Mclaren about this. The only way to keep the brake off is to hold down the button while opening the door, as mentioned above. One important note, however, is the car will automatically switch to neutral and may roll away. There is no way to keep the car "in gear" when off. My solution... Tire wedges.
Have a great time!!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I've had a long discussion with Mclaren about this. The only way to keep the brake off is to hold down the button while opening the door, as mentioned above. One important note, however, is the car will automatically switch to neutral and may roll away. There is no way to keep the car "in gear" when off. My solution... Tire wedges.
Have a great time!!
i have a yorkshire solution,a broom handle lent up against my garage door,very high tech:)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help .
theres another way to do it . if you turn off the car , then turn on the ignition , then push the handbrake to off , you get a message saying " handbrake off " :)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
thanks for the help .
theres another way to do it . if you turn off the car , then turn on the ignition , then push the handbrake to off , you get a message saying " handbrake off " :)
Using this method,does the handbrake not just re-engage when you shut the door,or like most track days do you just leave the door open looking cool:cool:

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using this method,does the handbrake not just re-engage when you shut the door,or like most track days do you just leave the door open looking cool:cool:
yes using this method ( when you get the no handbrake warning ) i believe it does not come back on when you close the door matey

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So there isn't really a way to leave the car in gear, turn it off and not activate the Parking brake?

·
Registered
432 Posts
So there isn't really a way to leave the car in gear, turn it off and not activate the Parking brake?
Nope... It automatically goes to "N".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts