McLaren Life banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

Does anyone have any information on a potential or existing wheel and tire (slicks only, not DOT approved R compound tires) package to fit the 650S?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road race. I'm hoping a set of 18"'s can fit all around giving more options for slicks, but it doesn't look like there is a 1/2 inch clearance in the front from the caliper to the wheel. I was hoping someone could give an exact package already tested (i.e. 18x8.5 and 18x11 from manufacturer XYZ and the accompanying slicks & sizes).

·
Registered
691 Posts
what about the factory wheels with toyo R888's? that's what fikse is running.
CCW can probably put together something as well.

I’d love to use the factory wheels, but my understanding is they are rather pricey. Has anyone
purchased an additional set?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what about the factory wheels with toyo R888's? that's what fikse is running.
That's a DOT tire. I'm already running Pirelli Trofeo's on my OEM wheels. I'm looking for a true racing slick such as Michelin Competition tires, etc. I won't be able to get slicks on a 19/20 setup, which is why I'm looking for a wheel/tire combo for track only.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That's a DOT tire. I'm already running Pirelli Trofeo's on my OEM wheels. I'm looking for a true racing slick such as Michelin Competition tires, etc. I won't be able to get slicks on a 19/20 setup, which is why I'm looking for a wheel/tire combo for track only.
These guys might be able to help:

http://www.ccwheel.com

I have read in this forum that others have reported issues even using Hoosier R6 tires.
The claim is that under load the suspension allows enough deflection to allow the tire and some parts of the body to contact.

I wonder what a conversion to the 650S wheel setup would run?

·
Registered
560 Posts
how are the trofeo's vs Michelin super sports? are they a good street and part time track tire? im trying to find the best "do it all" tire so I don't have to change out wheels when i have a track day.
thanks for your help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how are the trofeo's vs Michelin super sports? are they a good street and part time track tire? im trying to find the best "do it all" tire so I don't have to change out wheels when i have a track day.
thanks for your help
I'm assuming you are talking about the Michelin super sport "Cup" tires? The "regular" super sport will not remotely match the Trofeo's in performance as they are a street high performance tire as opposed to a street/competition tire. I don't have experience with the Cup tires on my previous 12C or current 650S but I do have them installed on my SLR.

The SLR is a completely different animal than the 650S so it's a very difficult comparison but I find the Cup tires take longer to warm up compared to the Trofeo's. One thing for certain is the Trofeo's are far better than the OEM P Zeros and noticeably better then the Corsa option that I tried on my previous 12C. As for longevity, and as per any low tread depth competition tire, don't look for miracles but they are no worse than the others.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was talking about the regular super sport tires, I had them on my 12c.
so your saying the trofeo's are the best street/track option for the mac?
I need to look into sizes.
thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
18" track wheels for 650S

Dear Minsc!

I just bought a 650S and would like to use it on the track too with 18" slick tires. did you manage to figure out which brand produces 18" wheels for carbon ceramic brakes? Could you share the width and ET numbers?

Thank you very much,

Marton Ott

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Minsc!

I just bought a 650S and would like to use it on the track too with 18" slick tires. did you manage to figure out which brand produces 18" wheels for carbon ceramic brakes? Could you share the width and ET numbers?

Thank you very much,

Marton Ott
Hi Márton

Were you able to figure out anything?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts