McLaren Life banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2016 570S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any tracks near NYC, that is suitable for amateurs/new owners? It will be my first time on a track. Anything I should know about or prepare before hand? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 570S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
New Jersey Motorsports Park
New York Safety Track
Hmm these seem still kind of far...I'd have to spend 3 hours driving each way (6 hours total) before I hit any track.
Is that normal/isn't is a lot of wear and tear on the car just to take it to track so far away? Anything closer to NYC?
Thanks!!

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Monticello Motor Club.

Not cheap, but amazing track.

I think the next nearest is Lime Rock, but after Monticello, I basically can't go anywhere else. It ruins you (in a good way).

·
Registered
2020 Explorer ST, 2018 Merc, in search of money for a 12C...
175 Posts
Hmm these seem still kind of far...I'd have to spend 3 hours driving each way (6 hours total) before I hit any track.
Is that normal/isn't is a lot of wear and tear on the car just to take it to track so far away? Anything closer to NYC?
Thanks!!
Nope, those are the closest. Trailer the car down.

·
Registered
2016 570S
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Monticello Motor Club.

I think the next nearest is Lime Rock, but after Monticello, I basically can't go anywhere else. It ruins you (in a good way).
Thanks for this! Do most ppl "trailer the car down" as Anthony D suggested here, as opposed to drive it there and back?

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Thanks for this! Do most ppl "trailer the car down" as Anthony D suggested here, as opposed to drive it there and back?
At Monticello? It's a mix. I just drove up from Manhattan and back in the Macca. I'd say half just drive there and back. Some trailer and many just keep their track cars there (they offer garages--also not cheap).

·
Registered
175 Posts
IMO, always trailer any vehicle to the track, just in case. Mechanical issue, crash, whatever. As a racing coach, I have seen way too many people get stranded at the track and scramble to find not only a ride home for themselves but a trailer to get the vehicle back home or to a mechanic. I wouldn't take that chance, but that is just me.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
IMO, always trailer any vehicle to the track, just in case. Mechanical issue, crash, whatever. As a racing coach, I have seen way too many people get stranded at the track and scramble to find not only a ride home for themselves but a trailer to get the vehicle back home or to a mechanic. I wouldn't take that chance, but that is just me.
Generally not a problem up there. Had a good guy have a blow out with a brand new tire. It blew on the back kink on the straight right near where you get to max speed, so he was doing over 140 for sure. Anyway, he went air born, car flipped. His GT3 ruined. Thankfully he got out without a scratch. He needed a ride. There was a line of people happy to help, and we took him to dinner. Getting a ride, particularly back to Manhattan, not going to be a problem there. It's a really great place.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Just to follow up, that said, if you want to trailer up, youre welcome to there, but I'd say people that trailer up there are in the minority.

Also, they have a full service work shop there, and for those still under Mclaren original 3/5yr warranty, you can have them do the pre/post inspections there and Mclaren accepts it with no problems.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Generally not a problem up there. Had a good guy have a blow out with a brand new tire. It blew on the back kink on the straight right near where you get to max speed, so he was doing over 140 for sure. Anyway, he went air born, car flipped. His GT3 ruined. Thankfully he got out without a scratch. He needed a ride. There was a line of people happy to help, and we took him to dinner. Getting a ride, particularly back to Manhattan, not going to be a problem there. It's a really great place.
That's great to hear! I was racing a 2006 GSX-R1000 Superbike up at Loudon, and highsided while leading a race in the rain. Thankfully I brought a trailer and someone with me, because I don't remember the drive back from NH to NYC.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
That's great to hear! I was racing a 2006 GSX-R1000 Superbike up at Loudon, and highsided while leading a race in the rain. Thankfully I brought a trailer and someone with me, because I don't remember the drive back from NH to NYC.
Oh man, that's brutal. Hope you heeled up quick and fully. Yea, after something that shocking, I'm a big believer in letting someone else drive until you get over the shock.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh man, that's brutal. Hope you heeled up quick and fully. Yea, after something that shocking, I'm a big believer in letting someone else drive until you get over the shock.
Yeah, I highsided coming out of T3, and into the NASCAR barrier. Lost consciousness for a bit, bike broke in half when it hit the wall, etc...

My buddy Chris who was with me loaded up the trailer for me, and drove all the way home. Good to have friends like that. Thankfully it was my second to last race of the weekend, and I had already won 3 other races, so when I finally was un-concussed and realized what happened, I wasn't too upset.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Crazy. I find a LOT of accidents happen on or near the "last run". Skiing, snowboarding, and on track. You get some confidence from the day, but you start to wear down and not necessarily realize your faculties are not as sharp as earlier, take somethings for granted, and have a lapse.

Knowing this, I play Regge towards the end of the day on track so I can chill the hell down! :D

Glad you had a good buddy there and sorry to hear, that sounds like a rough accident. Hope youre fully recovered!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Crazy. I find a LOT of accidents happen on or near the "last run". Skiing, snowboarding, and on track. You get some confidence from the day, but you start to wear down and not necessarily realize your faculties are not as sharp as earlier, take somethings for granted, and have a lapse.

Knowing this, I play Regge towards the end of the day on track so I can chill the hell down! :D

Glad you had a good buddy there and sorry to hear, that sounds like a rough accident. Hope youre fully recovered!
Yeah, I'm all good. Recovered, bought new bikes, and went on to win a few championships each of the following years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does anyone know of any tracks near NYC, that is suitable for amateurs/new owners? It will be my first time on a track. Anything I should know about or prepare before hand? Thanks!
MC90, you'll have a great time at the track, especially if you go in with the attitude of learning, rather than trying to set track records. It can be perfectly fine to drive there and back. I've been doing that with my Porsche's for years, never had to hitch a ride home.

I'm new to McLaren, though, so a little apprehensive about reliability. So far I've autocrossed my 570S for 4 days, and going for two more this weekend! Driving a hundred miles to and from, on the stock Pzero Corsas, with zero problems so far.

I'm ramping up for high speed track work soon, so hope the reliability holds. I'm probably going to get another set of wheels and track tires that are street legal so I can still drive on them to the track. If the basic car reliability holds up, then this is a perfectly acceptable way to go, with few hassles other than changing your wheels before you go.

But as a newbie, just go have fun with your stock setup, make sure to ask for an instructor, and you probably don't have to do much more.

After many years of tracking my cars, I've only seen a very few times that someone had to unexpectedly get their car towed home. Highly modified race cars excepted, but they usually come on trailers for this reason. AAA Premium will tow you 200 miles for free, so definitely sign up for this as an insurance policy.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Monticello Motor Club.

I mentioned it, although apparently I misspelled it. My bad. But yea, I find Lyme Rock is close but a bit of tiny track. Different strokes and all that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts