McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
how's the auto mode on the 600LT on the track? compared to the 3RS which is spot on...
I drive 600 LT in auto mode on track at Laguna Seca (nowhere else). I've never driven the 3RS in auto mode on track.

when you are getting onto the track, it will authoshift to a very high gear until you give it some throttle and it will detect that you want to use the performance and will downshift into the proper gear and then will go into the proper gear by the speed that you are using.

If for somehow reason you want to short shift while you are in auto mode then you will go into auto/manual mode. It will stay in manual mode for 8 seconds before it will revert back to auto (you might hit the limiter if you don't shift or may have to shift again and it can take some time to revert back to auto again.

The Mac's do auto pretty good.

Reactions: taw6189 and eMcL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive 600 LT in auto mode on track at Laguna Seca (nowhere else). I've never driven the 3RS in auto mode on track.

when you are getting onto the track, it will authoshift to a very high gear until you give it some throttle and it will detect that you want to use the performance and will downshift into the proper gear and then will go into the proper gear by the speed that you are using.

If for somehow reason you want to short shift while you are in auto mode then you will go into auto/manual mode. It will stay in manual mode for 8 seconds before it will revert back to auto (you might hit the limiter if you don't shift or may have to shift again and it can take some time to revert back to auto again.

The Mac's do auto pretty good.

thx, the 3RS is similar... I had an MP4 a couple of years back and it was not up to par on the track...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I usually drive in auto mode but had a pro coach at Laguna a few months back and he recommended manual and being a gear higher than what the auto mode generally selected in each corner. His reasoning was that there was too much torque as the auto mode was going to the lowest gear possible and thus, the engine would be in the very high rpm range and for most corners at Laguna, he found that to result in too much oversteer. Yes, you can manage that with the throttle but he drove it both ways a few times throughout the day and was about 7/10s quicker in manual each time. Your style will probably dictate which is best for you. I am still struggling in manual mode and generally leave it in auto but will keep practicing.

He also noticed something very interesting: the 600LT maintains a bit of ABS action mid corner and he had to just barely stab the throttle to get it to release earlier than it wanted to. I could never feel it but he showed me on the telemetry. He couldn't figure out what was happening at first but then once he did and figured out how to cancel it with a dab of throttle, he said it drove out of the corners much harder and smoother.

Kurt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually drive in auto mode but had a pro coach at Laguna a few months back and he recommended manual and being a gear higher than what the auto mode generally selected in each corner. His reasoning was that there was too much torque as the auto mode was going to the lowest gear possible and thus, the engine would be in the very high rpm range and for most corners at Laguna, he found that to result in too much oversteer. Yes, you can manage that with the throttle but he drove it both ways a few times throughout the day and was about 7/10s quicker in manual each time. Your style will probably dictate which is best for you. I am still struggling in manual mode and generally leave it in auto but will keep practicing.

He also noticed something very interesting: the 600LT maintains a bit of ABS action mid-corner and he had to just barely stab the throttle to get it to release earlier than it wanted to. I could never feel it but he showed me on the telemetry. He couldn't figure out what was happening at first but then once he did and figured out how to cancel it with a dab of throttle, he said it drove out of the corners much harder and smoother.

Kurt

thx for the input. Interesting about the ABS, never heard that before. Maybe for better cornering, to get the car to rotate more, or "helping" trail braking...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts